It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2013, 10:05 AM   #1
(female)

Zane21 HB User
what do all of you do re: treatment

age 47...a newbie to this change crap...

trying to read thru ALL these threads is too overwhelming....would you all mind sharing what you are doing for treatment of your peri symptoms...HRT? Anti Depressants? Diet? Nothing?

I find these hot flashes and headaches to be the most awful part...can't sleep...headaches leave me thinking I am having a stroke they are that bad...and the flashes come over me and I get dizzy, start belching like crazy, get nauseous...they SUCK. ( I also have metabolic disorder AND hashimoto's so I am on meds already for those issues too.)

I have a doc appt on Thurs and I am SURE this will come up...having my FSH done tomorrow along with fasting lipids....

Last edited by Zane21; 01-29-2013 at 10:06 AM.

The following user gives a hug of support to Zane21:
solofelix (01-29-2013)
Old 01-29-2013, 11:28 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User
Re: what do all of you do re: treatment

Hi Zane,
Hope you soon feel better.
I'm sure your Dr will know just what to prescribe for you.
Everyone is different and what suits one may not another. If you want to try something natural then I would reccommend (Oil of Evening Primrose). It was the only thing I took leading up to the Menopause and I found it really helpful. My friends sister was prescribed the same after a Hysterectomy which obviously sent her straight into Menopausal Symptoms, so it must work with the Hormones.
Others will give you other suggestions as to what suited them.
I wish you well,

Solofelix.

The Following User Says Thank You to solofelix For This Useful Post:
Zane21 (01-29-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-29-2013, 03:21 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

If you are still having periods and your FSH is below about 34-35, then you would need to go on birth control pills most likely to control these symptoms. They changed my prescription when I started having them. Once I was missing periods on the pill and was 57 years old, we went to HRT and I haven't had another period or symptom since.

Old 01-29-2013, 04:09 PM   #4
(female)

cook82 HB Usercook82 HB User

I basically toughed it out. I did go on AD's for about 6 months and they worked for the anxiety but I didn't like the idea of being on them so I stopped. The good news is that once you are in menopause and past peri, a lot of the symptoms lessen or disappear altogether, at least that has been my experience. The only problem that persisted is vaginal atrophy which I suffered from fully for at least 10 years but only got successfully treated now. I also had the good fortune to be able to stop working and get a less stressful job working only 3 days a week. That made a big difference for me. Reducing stress is critical regardless of the treatment path you choose to take. Best of luck finding the treatment that is best for you.

Marie

Old 01-29-2013, 04:15 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User

Hi, I take HRT. I tried the biodentical (sp?) stuff but never could get it balanced. I have fibromyalgia so I definitely need my sleep (not that I'm getting any lol) so that's why I went on something I was having around 7-9 a night. Now I usually have a mild one right before I fall off to sleep weird. Cathy

Last edited by noevr; 01-29-2013 at 04:16 PM.

Old 01-29-2013, 04:42 PM   #6
(female)

Zane21 HB User
Red face Re: what do all of you do re: treatment

the hot flashes are GOD AWFUL.....I wake up in full sweat, full blotchy chest, full on panic feeling...the headaches are miserable.... it's been bad like this since Sept....I have kept track and my syptoms are the when I ovualte and about 3 days before my period comes.

I have 2 kids...and one has autism so I need my sleep and I need to be at my best...going back on the pill is strange to me...there IS a family history of stroke...my my mother died of one at age 56....

I was on the pill from age 18-28 already.... I will take whatever I need to get my damn hormones adjusted

Old 01-29-2013, 05:00 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User

Oh I forgot to say I do take topomax for migraines 100 mg one of the side effects is weight loss too. But if you go on it start off at 25 mg and slowly work up to 100 (100 is the recommended dose on their site for headaches can be used for other stuff) to help avoid side effects. You may get some wooziness at first but it will go away. Cathy

Old 02-05-2013, 02:05 PM   #8
(female)

omc1234 HB User

Hi Marie,
I agree keeping stress to a minimum is critical. I also toughed it out through perimenopause and it was not fun. I am now into menopause and the severity of symptoms have let up. Dealing with night sweats and of course the atrophy. What did your physician prescribe for the atrophy. From what i have seen on this board alot of women have used premarin.

Old 02-05-2013, 04:56 PM   #9
(female)

cook82 HB Usercook82 HB User

Hello omc1234,

That is the good news about menopause. There actually is a light at the end of the tunnel. Unfortunately the atrophy became such a big problem for me that it gave me an abnormal pap! I'm still waiting for the results of my latest pap but I have not heard anything in almost 2 weeks so that is a good sign. My GYN did prescribe the premarin to treat the atrophy with the expectation that my pap will revert to normal. It has made me quite comfortable.

I started using the cream for 7 days straight then went to once a week. That regimen seems to be working nicely. While I was concerned about the cost, my insurance company recommended I ask my doctor to issue an RX as a 90 mail order. That reduces the cost for me to $58 for 3 boxes BUT one box lasts me almost 2 months! So the monthly cost comes to roughly $10/month.

My biggest concern is the abnormal pap. I'm not certain at this point whether I will treat the atrophy long term. I had been getting abnormal paps for a few years so my biggest goal with this is to finally get closure and peace of mind with that.

Good luck finding the solution that works best for you!

Wishing you good health.

Marie

Closed Thread