It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2013, 06:48 AM   #1
(female)

Valkatie HB User
33 and going thru menopause

This is just nuts! I feel like utter crap and the sad thing is I know why. 5 years ago, in my 9 month of pregnancy my thyroid went crazy on me. They believe I had post-postpartum thyroiditis. I went extremely hyperthyroid. I was practically bed ridden my last month of pregnancy. It was horrid. The panic attacks, heart palps, hot flashes, brain fog the list goes on and on.

Every since then I have felt not like myself. I can't put into words what I'm truly going thru. I truly feel as though its the lasting effects of my thyroid (even though my test are now normal) I had hormone testing completed a year ago and wow what a surprise I found. My body isn't producing progesterone or very much of it. My level was 33 pg/ml (range 75-270) my ratio of Pg/E2 was 11 (range 100-500) and my testosterone was one point off from being considered low. Although my DHEAS was twice what it should be with a side of adrenal fatigue.

They tried me on bio-identical progesterone but it had side effects. Maybe because I started out at a too high dose. I quit taking it, even though I should have maybe stuck it out. I am going to try it again and see if it makes a difference. The anxiety, depression, the brain fog/weird feeling in my head, the chest pain, the hot flashes...its driving me banana's! Not to mention the horrible, horrible pains I get during ovulation time, the erratic periods and short duration of them.

Can anyone tell me from experience if hormone replacement helps? I so need a light at the end of my tunnel lol.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-30-2013, 06:59 PM   #2
(female)

purplesushi HB Userpurplesushi HB User
Re: 33 and going thru menopause

I can't help because I haven't experienced any of that, but just wanted you to know I read your post and feel for you....that has to be tough! Hang in there!!!

Old 02-06-2013, 12:25 AM   #3
(female)

jobi779 HB User

Hi, I hear you!!!!! I am 42 and have been going through similar for two years. My thyroid is fine but my progesterone and testosterone is low. I read a book called The Female Brain Gone Insane and it worked wonders. I supplement with bio identical testosterone in the morning and 10mg DHEA which gives me energy. I take 5htp at night and theonine or GABA at night. I have to wait until my next period which is already a month late before I can take the progesterone cream but I have used it before with great results. Good luck and hang in there......you are not going crazy and you will get better xxx

Old 02-06-2013, 12:47 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

You didn't mention what your estrogen levels were, or if FSH, LH were checked. In menopause, the estrogen would be low (as well as progesterone) and FSH, LH high. At 33, this is quite early, and I would bet that you have anti-ovarian antibodies, an autoimmune condition that causes you to produce antibodies to your own ovaries, making them fail prematurely. Yes, hormone therapy does help, and there are several options for how it can be done. I favor natural progesterone over synthetic, and it is possible you were on too high a dose before, which can cause sedation and dizziness. I would talk to your Dr about testing the antibodies, FSH and LH if not already done, and whether you are a good candidate for HRT (no contraindications). It is possible your thyroiditis was autoimmune (Hashimotos) and you could get anti-thyroid antibodies checked as well, because if positive, your thyroid will eventually go low. It is nice to know that in advance to keep an eye on it and treat it early, which will help you gfeel better. Low progesterone also can cause severe PMS, so that should respond too, if you experience that. I started menopause at 35, so I understand how frustrating it is to have your hormones off balance!

Old 02-06-2013, 07:34 AM   #5
(female)

Valkatie HB User

Thank you so much for getting back with me. My dr called in a script for bio-identical progesterone..I should be getting it any day. They started me at a lower dose this time. So I am crossing my fingers that it works!

Closed Thread