It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2013, 09:53 AM   #1
(female)

kittylady HB User
Digestive distress

Does anyone have irritable bowel, that seemed to appear or get worse during perimenopause?

I have acid reflux problems, which most of the time seems to be under control. I thought I was improving quite a bit. Now it seems like I have constipation problems which are worse than acid reflux.

I have a stomach ache occasionally over the upper left abdomen which I thought before was actually my stomach. Now I'm starting to wonder whether it's due to bowel dysfunction. I remember the first time I saw a doctor last year, when it seemed to me my health was going to hell in a handcart, he told me I had bowel spasms, I didn't believe him because I felt a bit queasy and had no appetite. I guess I just didn't think it seemed like a bowel issue. I notice if my constipation issues are acting up, the fullness feeling I have sometimes is noticeably worse. Sometimes I get a hungry feeling which I think may be due to acid stomach.

Does anyone else have acid reflux and constipation IBS, or acid reflux and constipation issues? Or, if just the latter, does it seem like your upper digestion is affected too? I know some people have problems with both...thanks for any input.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-31-2013, 10:44 AM   #2
(female)

hate2bhot23 HB User
Re: Digestive distress

KittyLady - I am almost 50 and going through my 2nd bad bout of acid reflux (last bad period was about 8 years ago). I am currently taking Dexilant for that. It's taken about 5 weeks on meds to feel somewhat "normal". I do have occassional constipation but not too bad. Early on with this bout of acid reflux I had the upper pain/fullness in my abdomen after eating, usually if I ate salad, vegetables, etc., anything that was harder for my stomach to digest. Are you on any meds? Are you drinking enough water? Are there certain foods that you are or not eating? Acid Reflux represents with a lot of other symptoms....but then so does menopause! Having both at this time in our lives is NO fun! Hope you feel better.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-31-2013, 11:25 AM   #3
(female)

kittylady HB User

thanks for replying hate2bhot!! Maybe it is only acid reflux, it seems that it feels different all the time. I thought I was having frequent indigestion. The same year I had two night sweats, I started having indigestion, which I have never had in my life before. (I've never had any children, so I didn't have pregnancy morning sickness or indigestion). So I figure the digestion problems probably had something to do with peri. I don't have any nausea so far, I have hungry feelings, full feelings, feeling like a lead weight in stomach, can be any of these. My appetite is pretty good though.

It's so bewildering to have to deal with all of these strange feelings seeming to come out of nowhere.

I don't take medication, I am afraid of side effects. Also I have heard that PPI's etc. are extremely hard to discontinue because they cause rebound acid, as well as long term effects on the stomach and bone density.

I try to eat carefully most of the time, I was doing well before Christmas, and then because I was feeling better, I got kind of careless about eating with my digestion in mind. I love chocolate but usually eat a little bit at a time, to keep my spirits up.

It's true that the more you worry about your stomach, the worse you feel. Stress always seems to make symptoms worse...

Old 01-31-2013, 11:49 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

Hi,
Did you ever have a Colonoscopy to see what was going on with your bowels.
When I had pain in the area you mention plus DiareahI was given a Colonoscopy which showed I had Diverticulitis.
I hope you soon feel better, all the best,

Solofelix.

The Following User Says Thank You to solofelix For This Useful Post:
kittylady (01-31-2013)
Old 01-31-2013, 12:00 PM   #5
(male)

thomasmas HB User

Hi,
I just wanted to chime in on your reluctance to take PPIs. I do understand your reluctance to use medications because of side effects but I encourage you to try the PPIs at least until you heal the erosions to see if they will work for you.

I have had reflux and GERD intermittantly for 20+ years. Until recently, I had very standard symptoms, i.e., heartburn and occasional pain in the stomach.

What I have found with my own body is that it takes a short amount of time to injure the esophagus and a long time to heal it. I have had good luck taking the PPIs to heal the esophagus and, then, if I really take care of myself (following all the rules), I can be off them for quite a while without symptoms. My wife was also on PPIs for a short while to cure a medication caused ulcer. She is fine now.

The Following User Says Thank You to thomasmas For This Useful Post:
kittylady (01-31-2013)
Old 01-31-2013, 12:19 PM   #6
(female)

kittylady HB User

Hi solofelix, thanks for replying. No, a colonoscopy wasn't suggested. I had ultrasounds & CT scan including abdomen/pelvis. I suppose that would be the next logical step. Not very enthusiastic about having it done though, I think we get some kind of sedation, but I'm not sure. I was completely out during the endoscopy.

Last edited by kittylady; 01-31-2013 at 12:20 PM.

Old 01-31-2013, 12:24 PM   #7
(female)

kittylady HB User

Hi Thomasmas, thanks! I am still hoping to get the acid reflux under control. I know it's a very easy matter to get a PPI prescription, I had one written for me within seconds of complaining to a GP about my stomach. I think I would be more flexible about getting an acid blocker because the side effects aren't as long lasting. But I am trying to tough it out for now. I may yet end up on one. I hear they don't always work though...

Old 01-31-2013, 12:24 PM   #8
(female)

hate2bhot23 HB User

I had both scopes done at the same time and you don't really feel anything afterwards except a little groggy. It doesn't last long. The worst thing about a colonoscopy is the preparation the day before.

I'm always weary about taking meds as well, but with acid reflux the damage you can do is probably worse than the possible side effects of the medications. You don't necessarily need to stay on them long term. It's worth a try!

Old 02-01-2013, 04:01 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

Hi Kittylady,
Ihad two Ulcers, one caused by taking NSA's. I was given Nexium PPI to protect my stomach from acid whilst they healed.
I also have a Hiatal-Hernia. I take Nexium for maybe 2-3 weeks when my stomach plays up, when I have Ulcer symptoms I take it for longer. Personally I never felt it did much for me and find I get on better with Gaviscon for a week or so.
The Colonoscopy procedure is much along the lines of the Endoscopy except its the other end. I had two and asked for maximum sedation and and no bother with it.
One thing I would say is dont have both ends done at the same time. For me that was a bad experience as I came round from sedation in the middle of the Colonoscopy which was done after the Endoscopy and it was Not something I would do again.
All the best,

Solofelix.

Closed Thread