It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2013, 09:11 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

groupie64 HB User
Symptoms suddenly hitting me hard

Hi, first post here and I'll just jump right in. I'm 48, have been perimenopausal for 3 years or so, mainly with night sweats and irregular periods. In the last month I've suddenly started getting hot flashes during the day. It's cold here, so one minute I'll be chilly like usual, then the very next minute I'm sweating and I get this sense of uneasiness and sometimes a bit of nausea. Very unsettling. I've also not been sleeping well at all. I keep waking up with feelings of anxiety that I can't pinpoint and can't get back to sleep. Sound pretty typical? It all happened so suddenly and I'm a little freaked out by it.

My gyno wasn't very informative about menopause the last time I saw him. I'd be more comfortable with a female doctor, but all the ones in my town are only taking new patients if you're pregnant or want to get pregnant. Talk about discrimination. Anyway, I'm still looking for a new gyno.

I have so many concerns I don't know where to begin. For starters I want to get a grip on the hot flashes and sleep problems. I've been reading through the posts and taking notes. I'm also concerned about sex, but I'll save that for another post.

Suggestions for natural HRT would be much appreciated.

Last edited by Administrator; 02-01-2013 at 12:53 AM. Reason: grammar

Old 02-01-2013, 03:47 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Symptoms suddenly hitting me hard

I'm on regular HRT so don't have another suggestion for you but i hope you get resolution soon. Maybe birth control but you may be opposed to that as well.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-01-2013, 05:17 AM   #3
(female)

jojopooh HB Userjojopooh HB Userjojopooh HB Userjojopooh HB Userjojopooh HB Userjojopooh HB User
Wink Re: Symptoms suddenly hitting me hard

i use black cohosh, no more hot flashes or night sweats.

Old 02-01-2013, 07:03 AM   #4
(female)

Valkatie HB User

I truly feel for you. Being a woman is so hard at times. I myself have been having hot flashes really bad in the morning. Its been 10 degrees here and I can walk outside in the morning and still be hot. Its craziness.

The anxiety and depression, and the horrible horrible memory is really bothering me. My dr just called in a script for bio-identical progesterone. I am hoping to start that this weekend. I would suggest having your hormones tested and see what your lacking and go from there. I wish you the best of luck. I know where you are and its not fun at all.

Old 02-01-2013, 09:16 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

irisrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB User

My only suggestion would be progesterone cream. Either try some from the health food store or go to a hormone doctor and get prescription progesterone cream.

I used the stuff from the healthfood store for a year then quit. Then peri came back with a vengeance. No hot flashes but I did have the anxiety (oh how I hated that anxious feeling for no reason at all!) and horrible sleep. Down to 3,4 or 5hrs for months. I saw several doctors and tried acupuncture but nothing helped until I went on prescription progesterone. I didn't stay on it forever. I was on it for about 6mos then I quit. I began a much more consistent and rigorous exercise program and that seemed to have helped my body adjust to or level out my hormones. So for now, I'm not taking anything and holding my own - for now.

Progesterone is a very calming hormone. It can make you sleepy so I used it at bedtime and a smaller amount in the morning. Our progesterone drops more sharply than the estrogen in out 40s and that's why we start having so many symptoms.

I hope you can find a doctor in your area to help you.

Old 02-03-2013, 11:52 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

CrazyLife414 HB UserCrazyLife414 HB UserCrazyLife414 HB User

Hi Groupie64..
I am now on my 4rd Doctor and finally found someone that will listen :-). The last one was very good at acting like she was listening, but when it came down to it all she really did was hold my hand and want to give me Xanax. This new Doc looked at my labs, drew additional labs and has sent me to a Compounding Pharmacy. I just started the new regime, which includes Adrenal support.
I don't know that much about some of the supplements that she has prescribed, but at least she is trying.
They will redraw labs in 3 months and we will see..

Anyway, good luck to you!! Keep looking for a new doc and don't give up!! There is someone out there that will help you!! You might try looking up compounding pharmacies in your area and they may be able to recommend a Doc that they work with...

Also...don't let them tell you that since you still have a period you are NOT Peri Menopausal or Menopausal!!(That is what many of the Docs said to me, they would not even draw hormone labs..) I still have a period every so often and my labs show that I am totally in Menopause.

Good Luck...Here's to a Healthy You!!
b.

Old 02-05-2013, 11:41 PM   #7
(female)

jobi779 HB User

Hi, I have all the standard perimenopausal symptoms and the waking up at night with night sweats and anxiety and palpitations and nausea is absolutely dreadful. I downloaded a book called "The female brain gone insane" and it has helped tremendously. The author, a female, tells you exactly what to do and what not to do and what to take etc. Its all natural based. I have started, a week ago, supplementing with bio identical testosterone cream and DHEA 10mg capsules and that seems to be helping with my energy level. I have to wait for my period to start before I begin the progesterone cream which will help with anxiety and general uneasiness. I take 5htp at night and theonine in the morning which also seems to get me through with less symptoms. Hope I have helped a bit. xx

Old 02-10-2013, 05:34 PM   #8
(female)

greeneyez 1966 HB User

i was in the same boat i was hit with everything all at once last summer i was such a mess i ended up in the er twice for symptoms i had high blood pressure , heart palaps anxiety all i wanted too do was stay in bed now im like a total diffrent person as if nothing ever happened i went off the meds they gave me and the only complaints i have is occasional night sweats and lack of sleep everything else disappeared my periods are still on time but shorter im wondering if this is the calm before the storm ? =)

Old 02-11-2013, 07:08 AM   #9
(female)

Hodge64 HB UserHodge64 HB UserHodge64 HB User

Greeneyez, when you say most of your symptoms have disappeared, you give me hope for the future. Maybe you're through the worst of it. I know it's hard not to wonder if it will all come back, but that's something you can't control. What you can control is living in the moment and enjoying this time of peace, whether permanent or fleeting. I pray for the same for all of us. T

Old 02-11-2013, 10:23 AM   #10
(female)

jojopooh HB Userjojopooh HB Userjojopooh HB Userjojopooh HB Userjojopooh HB Userjojopooh HB User
Wink Re: Symptoms suddenly hitting me hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodge64 View Post
Greeneyez, when you say most of your symptoms have disappeared, you give me hope for the future. Maybe you're through the worst of it. I know it's hard not to wonder if it will all come back, but that's something you can't control. What you can control is living in the moment and enjoying this time of peace, whether permanent or fleeting. I pray for the same for all of us. T
Hodge64. I am 50. I have been in peri for 8 years now. I think I had every symptom of the 34 symptoms at some point or another. It does get better. I now only have the occasional hot flash and night sweat.

The Following User Says Thank You to jojopooh For This Useful Post:
Hodge64 (02-11-2013)
Closed Thread