It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2013, 02:32 PM   #1
(female)

hate2bhot23 HB User
Anyone try Valerian for Sleep?

I was told (and read) Valerian is good to help with sleep issues. Has anyone tried this? I just want a good night's sleep without waking up!

Old 02-14-2013, 11:08 AM   #2
(female)

Niki1980 HB UserNiki1980 HB User
Re: Anyone try Valerian for Sleep?

Hello. Yes, I have tried them all!! I have found that a lower dose of Valerian is the best for me. Too high and it leaves me hung over the next morning. I am still struggling with sleeping though. IT SUCKS! You may want to try Melatonin extended release if you don't like the Valerian.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-14-2013, 12:03 PM   #3
(female)

hate2bhot23 HB User

Thanks Niki. I was hoping if I could get my hot flashes during sleep under control then I would sleep better....it hasn't happened. In fact, today I am SO hot! Do you know if there are any other side effects on taking the Valerian? Feeling like you have a hangover the next morning would not be fun! How much are you taking or how much is the smaller dose? I've heard some negative information on Melatonin. I'm so jealous now when I hear people say they sleep all night..... and to think I USED to be one of those people!

Old 02-14-2013, 02:16 PM   #4
(female)

Tell me about it. I have only used Valerian here and there. I have read that you need to use it more routinely to achieve the best results. Oddly enough the Melatonin produced the least amount of effects for me. Have you ever tried a natural progesterone? My MD gave me a prescription for this. It seems to help with the hot flashes for me but I still have major problems sleeping. They are trying to play with Estradiol with me too but this stuff makes me nauseated. I had a partial hyster. in 2007 and still have my ovaries but my hormones are all over the place. 1 week too much estrogen, the week after too little. This stuff is making me cross eyed. And trying to find a MD or OBGYN that will play with me (I am 33 yrs old) is difficult. They all just look at me and say "you are too young and still have your ovaries so everything should be working just fine". Well guess what, they're NOT!

Old 02-15-2013, 07:53 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

STLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB User

I haven't personally tried Valerian. My inability to fall asleep and stay asleep started after my hysterectomy. Getting a good amount of estrogen has pretty much restored my sleep. When I wasn't getting enough estrogen, Prometrium (progesterone) served as my "sleeping pill." I don't take progesterone any more.

Nikki said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niki1980 View Post
They all just look at me and say "you are too young and still have your ovaries so everything should be working just fine". Well guess what, they're NOT!
I've done a bit of research since my hysterectomy and there are studies that show that the ovaries can fail or have diminished function after hysterectomy due to the loss of blood flow and/or "feedback loop" with the uterus. There are also studies that show an earlier menopause after hysterectomy. Maybe you can print off these studies and show them to your doctors who seem so clueless. Since you seem to still be "cycling" maybe you're in perimenopause (the transition to menopause) which for many women causes more symptoms than the early menopause timeframe because that's when hormones are fluctuating wildly.

As far as melatonin, I read somewhere that you have to take it for awhile to restore your levels and your sleep cycles. But I've talked to a couple of people who say it works for them on an as needed basis but they take a higher dose than the typical 2 or 3 mg.

Here's to hoping we can all achieve better sleep before it drives us bonkers!!

The following user gives a hug of support to STLouisgal:
Niki1980 (02-15-2013)
The Following User Says Thank You to STLouisgal For This Useful Post:
Niki1980 (02-15-2013)
Old 02-15-2013, 08:00 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

I have found Valerian to be helpful, but it smells and tastes AWFUL. I like Sleepytime Tea, which has Valerian root in it, but other herbs and tastes good. There are a few variations of it including an extra strength version. I have to use 2 tea bags per cup of the regular formula for it to work.

Old 02-15-2013, 09:27 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

STLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB User

Didn't realize Sleepytime Tea contained valerian. So I have used valerian! I haven't had any of this tea recently but it did seem to help. I sleep fairly well most nights now but I'll give Sleepytime a try next time I have a couple or few nights of poor sleep. Thanks for the reminder, ladybud!

Old 02-15-2013, 10:02 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
They are trying to play with Estradiol with me too but this stuff makes me nauseated.
I meant to comment on this. I had a big problem with nausea after my hysterectomy. I don't know for sure if it was from the estrogen I was taking or something related to the surgery itself. I was using the highest dose V-Dot patch and still had a lot of "menopausal" symptoms but also nausea. So it's possible that the nausea was caused by estrogen deficiency - don't know. Generic Estrace (pill form) doesn't cause nausea for me but I don't swallow mine. I let it dissolve between my cheek and gum. I only take about 1/2 the oral dose since swallowing causes a lot of the dosage to be wasted.

The Following User Says Thank You to STLouisgal For This Useful Post:
Niki1980 (02-15-2013)
Old 02-15-2013, 12:45 PM   #9
(female)

StLouisgal - Thank you! You given some very helpful information. I am currently using a natural progesterone capsule at night but still in the air if this is helping or not. Doesn't it take about a month for this stuff to kick in? I definitely still cycling because 1 week my breasts swell and get tender then the digestive issues start. After this week the breasts reduce and the major insomnia hits with nightmarish headaches, dizziness, mental fog, joints hurt...etc. I wish that I could constantly monitor my hormones and give them what they want!!

Old 02-15-2013, 03:51 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
the major insomnia hits with nightmarish headaches, dizziness, mental fog, joints hurt...etc.
These symptoms sound like low estrogen for the most part although headaches can also be caused by a big change in hormones. The tender, swollen breasts are common with PMS and I thought PMS was more related to higher progesterone but I could be wrong.

Also, some women don't absorb oral hormones well. And it's easier on the body to gradually increase or decrease and give each dose a couple of weeks to see how you feel. Maybe the estradiol will absorb better taking it the way I take mine. If that's the case, you should start to see some improvements fairly quickly, all other things being equal (not adding or removing any other hormones or supplements).

It also helped me to keep a journal of what and how much I took and how I felt on a daily basis - physically, mentally, and emotionally. This was invaluable to be able to review when I was trying different HRT's or dosages and couldn't remember anything!!

Old 03-18-2013, 02:55 PM   #11
(female)

3sillykidsnadog HB User

I can't use valerian because of the meds I take for anxiety. Flax is supposed to contain a plant estrogen and I read that it may help with hot flashes/night sweats. This might be something you'd want to look into. Warm milk and honey might help with sleep. Milk has the same effect as melatonin (you add the honey to help your body absorb the tryptophan in the milk). This has been helping me with sleep. I also have some guided progressive muscle relaxation on my ipod. I started doing the pmr to help with anxiety but found it also helps with my sleep. Good luck!

Closed Thread