It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2013, 01:07 PM   #1
(female)

Kingxray HB User
Newbie question

Hi all,

I am so glad I found this forum. I have read the sticky's but please let me know if I'm not posting properly.

I just turned 50. I haven't had a period for 2 years or so. My main issue is vaginal dryness/irritation. I didn't think I was having hot flashes until I saw a post on another forum about after eating a meal feeling hot and nauseated and close to fainting. That is me to a tee! So, I guess I also have hot flashes.

My doc can't put me on any HRT because I smoke. My mom also died of breast cancer at 51. He suggested an herbal supplement. I did some investigating online and I am overwhelmed! Black cohosh, macafem, replens, astroglide, ginseng, the list goes on and on.

Can someone direct me in the right direction for my symptoms? I don't want to get ripped off by these websites, as their remedies are quite expensive. Has anyone tried any of these remedies or know of a reliable website I can visit? I'm open to any suggestions. Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 02-19-2013, 05:16 PM   #2
(female)

jojopooh HB Userjojopooh HB Userjojopooh HB Userjojopooh HB Userjojopooh HB Userjojopooh HB User
Re: Newbie question

welcome kingxray. i have been taking black cohosh for hot flashes and night sweats, it works for me. the thing is not to take it longer than 6 months running. for me apple cider vinegar works too, i don't like the taste though. anyways, i alternate between the two on a 3 month basis.

The Following User Says Thank You to jojopooh For This Useful Post:
Kingxray (02-20-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-20-2013, 01:41 AM   #3
(female)

janabooboo HB User

Kingxray, hello and I feel your pain. I had a question about the vaginal pain/irritation. Is it all of the time or do you notice it only when being intimate? I have problems with irritation on and off and can notice the discomfort even when walking. Yet, it doesn't seem "dry" to me. I'm so confused. Just wondering if you can relate with that.

Old 02-20-2013, 01:35 PM   #4
(female)

Kingxray HB User

The dryness started gradually and is almost all the time now. Occasionally I get irritation and itching to the point that the area becomes red and inflammed. That is when it becomes uncomfortable to wear clothes. I tried some topical hydrocortisone cream on the area and it worked very well but now I need to find something for the dryness. I'm just not sure what is the best product. Hoped that helped.

Old 02-20-2013, 09:18 PM   #5
(female)

b0redmember HB Userb0redmember HB User

I swear by vitamin E suppositories!!!

Old 02-20-2013, 11:58 PM   #6
(female)

janabooboo HB User

Your reply does help. It sounds very similar. I get redness and irritation at times as well. And it used to be less often. It has become more of a problem this past year. Like I said, even walking can be quite uncomfortable. B0redmember, the suppositories for dry vag?

Old 02-21-2013, 10:40 AM   #7
(female)

Kingxray HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0redmember View Post
I swear by vitamin E suppositories!!!
Thanks. I saw that as one of my choices. Maybe I'll give it a try!

Old 02-21-2013, 10:48 AM   #8
(female)

Kingxray HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by janabooboo View Post
Your reply does help. It sounds very similar. I get redness and irritation at times as well. And it used to be less often. It has become more of a problem this past year. Like I said, even walking can be quite uncomfortable. B0redmember, the suppositories for dry vag?
The vitamin E is for dry vag. There are also other products such as Replens and Astroglide. Astroglide has an applicator. They are all used for symptomatic treatment of a dry vagina but not for any other symptoms. I haven't tried any of them yet but I plan to very soon. I'll get something else for hot flashes to take in conjunction with the above.

I think any of the above would be good because they are pH balanced to be compatable with your vagina and help it absorb water, so I'm told. Many other creams and lotions are not. I'll let you know what I think after I try it.

Old 02-21-2013, 01:04 PM   #9
(female)

b0redmember HB Userb0redmember HB User

yes the vitamin E is for dryness but it also helps with intimacy! very inexpensive, safe and not messy - it also last longer than lotions or oils as it melts slowly with your body heat.

Closed Thread