HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Menopause (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/menopause/)
-   -   Heavy Menstrual Flow (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/menopause/941970-heavy-menstrual-flow.html)

Silhoutte 03-09-2013 01:08 PM

Heavy Menstrual Flow

Hi...just discovered this health forum and had read a few related posts..
still I feel that I should discuss the problem of heavy menstrual flow...during the prolonged episode of my periods at the "official' onset of the Peri-menopause phase..
Some of my peculiarities...are.. I'm prescribed to take iron supplement for low Hb and cipralex for depression...otherwise..no polyps or fibroid detected..in PAP test or Ultrasound,,
I was prescribed Ibuprofen before and it helped...but now it doesn't seem to work...
Is there any medical suggestions concerning it...any natural remedy ..like food supplements/alterations..etc!

Obliged!

S.

jobi779 03-09-2013 09:52 PM

Re: Heavy Menstrual Flow

Hi Silhouette, all the symptoms you have listed are hormone related and you should have those checked first. Thereafter you will know what you lack and what you have too much of and you can rectify if not completely stop the symptoms. Magnesium is a wonderful little muscle relaxant and will help for the pain of the period as well as relax you, Progesterone would do wonders for that as well but only if you lack it and you probably do if you are perimenopausal. Get the results and take it from there. Have a good day. xxx

Silhoutte 03-09-2013 10:28 PM

Thank jobi779 for taking time to reply...yes I agree with you..absolutely..I'm on my way to identify the problems and find their solutions. Your advice sound reasonable..and I'll discuss it with my doctor..soon!

Take care and God bless!

Silhoutte 03-09-2013 10:30 PM

Sorry-duplicate post!

STLouisgal 03-10-2013 08:58 AM

Since ibuprofen stopped working, you could try another non-hormonal med such as an NSAID (OTC or Rx) or Lysteda (Rx). Birth control pills are also commonly Rx'd to address heavy and/or prolonged bleeding during perimenopause. Hope you find something that helps!

Silhoutte 03-10-2013 03:03 PM

Yes...Doctor told me to take Apo Naproxen 500 mg twice a day...if doesn't help ..she recommended cyklocapron 500 mg..along with it..
I think former would help..waiting..
it's 16th.day of my periods now...at 46
Keeping warm helps...yet physical exertions produce kind of stress at my abdominal and back area which brings more cramps..
I wonder if uterus takes that long to sheds extra endometrial lining or ...it's just a non-sense bleeding episode..
Thanks STL...I appreciat your concern..

Silhoutte 03-10-2013 03:04 PM

Yes...Doctor told me to take Apo Naproxen 500 mg twice a day...if doesn't help ..she recommended cyklocapron 500 mg..along with it..
I think former would help..waiting..
it's 16th.day of my periods now...at 46
Keeping warm helps...yet physical exertions produce kind of stress at my abdominal and back area which brings more cramps..
I wonder if uterus takes that long to sheds extra endometrial lining or ...it's just a non-sense bleeding episode..
Thanks STL...I appreciat your concern..

Silhoutte 03-17-2013 03:04 PM

Soooo...its the end of my third week, the longest ever periods I'm facing... :(..
I never bled this long after the deliveries, either..One reason could be I'm stressed and taking some light anti-depressant too...yet I would like to share my experience of medication with my fellow ladies...as it might help them..!!

I experienced... there's a 'surge' 'hormones' I think causing more pain/ uterine contractions from late morning (11'o'clock) till evening..(like 4'0'clock)...
Then the pressure seems to subsides...normally stays controlled or low...during night time ..provided I avoid any physical stress which involves my back muscles...

Nights are better and relatively peaceful..by the grace of Almighty, though! :)

About medication..specifically...I'm taking 250 mg of Apo-Naproxen only ,every 6 hours after...
during heavy times for a few days I combined it with 250 mg. of Cyklocapron...and when the flow was in control I stopped adding it...
It is working this way...that its helping reduce the blood loss...and saving my energy to some extent..
Taking more rest is required during that 'surge' period...to control the madness..I start feeling it as it comes...kind of hot-flash combined with some pressure and stiffness around the abodominal region....
I felt high doses (500 mg) cause a lot of stress on our renal system...and you need to pass urine a lot...to feel comfortable again...and then you need to wait 12 hours for the next dose of 500 mg...which seems far away..to me...

So as far we need a certain level of the medication in our system...lower dose causes less stress...still its helpful not to hold the urge to pass urine..

I also found some diet changes helpful too..adding yam, tofu, beans, seafood..and green leaves...to my diet...regulating the meals time and amount...e.g...brings good changes...and reduce the stress of bloating...or bletching...etc.

Keeping warm (not too warm to trigger a hot-flash) ..and active with light work and exercise like yoga...help muscular stiffness...

Thanks a lot for your help and concern...I hope my experience will also be adding to your learning..:)