It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2013, 01:52 PM   #1
(female)

mountainsky HB User
What did you go through?

I am just wanting to know what all you went through right before you knew you were in menopause? I am at a loss. My mother can not seem to remember even going through it, so I have know idea what to expect right before and once I am in menopause. The only thing I do know is that when you have missed a period for a long time, then you're in menopause. That's about all I know.

Old 05-10-2013, 02:22 PM   #2
(female)

Tgram HB User
Re: What did you go through?

My ob/gyn explained to me that peri-menopause is usually about the last 10 years before your period stops completely. She said most women have all their symptoms during perimenopause, but that's not true for all women.

Once you've gone 1 full year without a period, you've hit menopause!

I've been in perimenopause for at least 8-9 years and am having just about every symptom there is. New ones popping up all the time. It's exasperating.

Hot flashes, chills, headaches, memory/concentration issues, dizziness, mood swings, fatigue....and more. Some women have no symtoms, some just a few and some of us seem to have most of them.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-10-2013, 02:40 PM   #3
(female)

mountainsky HB User

I always thought that was pms symptoms. How could you tell that you've been in pre menopause for that long? I mean, how do you differentiate pms symptoms and pre menopause symptoms? The only thing that I have noticed is that my last period didn't seem as heavy or as crampy as I normally get. Didn't pass any clots either so maybe that's an indicator of getting close to menopause? Not looking forward to it though...I have heard some real horror stories once menopause hits like increases chances of cancers and other health issues. ughhhh.

Old 05-10-2013, 02:43 PM   #4
(female)

Tgram HB User

I always had bad cramps, but didn't have terrible mood swings with my periods. I went to my ob/gyn and she said it's peri-menopause and can last up to 10 years. It's been going on for years, so I'm hoping it will end soon.

I bought a great book, Menopause for Dummies and it really helps to make sense of all the changes going on in your body!

Old 05-10-2013, 02:50 PM   #5
(female)

mountainsky HB User

Oh wow, that's a good idea. I will look for that book. Thanks!

Old 05-11-2013, 06:18 AM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

The problem is that the symptoms are exacerbated and continual....not just right before or during your period. And your periods can fluctuate. If you are not on birth control meds, your doctor can run a blood test for your FSH level. When it reaches 34-35, you are considered menopausal. As the level increases, your symptoms usually worsen.

You could go on birth control pills now and that helps. We just changed mine as I was already on them. We had to adjust them a couple of times until I went on HRT. I've been on it for 10 years and all is great.

Old 05-11-2013, 06:33 AM   #7
(female)

mountainsky HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
The problem is that the symptoms are exacerbated and continual....not just right before or during your period. And your periods can fluctuate. If you are not on birth control meds, your doctor can run a blood test for your FSH level. When it reaches 34-35, you are considered menopausal. As the level increases, your symptoms usually worsen.

You could go on birth control pills now and that helps. We just changed mine as I was already on them. We had to adjust them a couple of times until I went on HRT. I've been on it for 10 years and all is great.
Do you know how fast that can change? Back in 2010, my FSH was 9.0 which I think is odd for my age.

Old 05-11-2013, 01:42 PM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Not knowing how old you are, I can't say. And we are all different anyway. I was on birth control pills for decades. From the time I started having symptoms to going on HRT, it was about 7 years. So it took that long for me to skip periods even on the pill. I could tell my body wasn't wanting to have them so went to the doctor at age 57 and she put me directly on HRT. Haven't had any issues and never had another period.

Old 05-11-2013, 03:53 PM   #9
(female)

mountainsky HB User

I wonder if its "safer" so to say to actually go into full menopause older than younger? I have read where diseases seem to be prevalent after menopause. I personally am not a fan of HRT simply because I am so medicine sensitive that it's actually quite scary to think about going through it based on what I have read. I did read that before you go through menopause, that being a little heavier is healthier but then after menopause being heavier can cause many diseases. It's like it's a constant every day battle (from what I have been reading)

Old 05-11-2013, 04:10 PM   #10
Facilitator
(female)

Diseases are more prevalent after menopause because you are older...and the number one risk for many is staying alive long enough to get them. One of out 3 women over 80 will get breast cancer according to some reports. Why? Because you have to have 2 "hits" to a gene to make it defective and cause a cancer. If oyu aren't born with one, living long can expose you to more things so that you get the two "hits" to the gene eventually. So age is the prime factor for many things. Just forget about that. And if you ever took birth control, HRT is the same thing. I find many who took bcp for decades are concerned about HRT but never gave bcp a second thought. Doesn't make sense. But to me the bottom line is - peri and menopause are the lowering or absence of hormones. If you are Vitamin D deficit, you take Vitamin D. Same for anemia - you take Vitamin B. So why not take hormones if you are deficit in them? (baring any risk factors you may have).

Old 05-11-2013, 04:19 PM   #11
(female)

mountainsky HB User

yes what you say makes sense but aren't risks for going into menopause either too early or later in life? I thought most went through it by age 50 on an average but I am probably wrong on that. So, what you're saying is, that if you don't have that cancer gene, then the older you are its just a matter of time before you get it anyway? I wonder if it's posdible if you do have that gene that you may possibly never get cancer. You suppose that's possible? I'm not sure what activates it other than what age? Getting older is definatley not for the weak!

Old 05-11-2013, 07:00 PM   #12
Facilitator
(female)

What I'm saying is that if you are born with or develop a defective gene early on, then the odds of a second "hit" so to speak are higher than if you are not born with any. If you make it to older age with no defects, then the odds are in your favor. They really don't treat really older women with breast cancer. If oyu get it after age 80, the odds are something else will get you first. And your best indication is family risk. Did anyone in your immediate family have cancer? If so, you may have inherited a defective gene that could develop something later - or earllier. If you have no history in your close family, then odds are you won't have it either....at least not until really older when various other things - exposure to asbestos, etc - could have damaged a gene.

Closed Thread