It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2013, 07:01 PM   #1
(female)

zeldajane750 HB User
Unhappy very long period

Has anyone had long periods? I am on day 12 of my period. I do have a cervical polyp that I know is part of the problem and am having removed next week. But I was wondering if long periods were are also part of perimenopause. If anyone has dealt with this I would like to hear about it. It just makes me feel not so all alone and out of control when I hear from others going through the same thing as me.

The Following User Says Thank You to zeldajane750 For This Useful Post:
Luanne72 (05-15-2013)
Old 05-14-2013, 06:07 AM   #2
(female)

betty333 HB User
Re: very long period

Well, you're definitely not alone. I had irregular period for the last 2-3 years. Sometimes missing a whole month and then it lasts for about 2 weeks. My last period lasted 14 days!!!! The doctor said because I missed a month it lasts longer. Welcome to the club!
Though you should get checked your thyroid, it could mimic menopause symptoms. I have also hypothyroidism. So I am not fully convinced that my irregular periods are due to menopause.

Last edited by betty333; 05-14-2013 at 06:08 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to betty333 For This Useful Post:
zeldajane750 (05-17-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-14-2013, 07:04 AM   #3
(female)

Hodge64 HB UserHodge64 HB UserHodge64 HB User

I had a three week period in Jan after missing a few in the fall. It wasn't heavy, just there. I think it's pretty normal for peri. I think if it had gone on another week, I would have called my Doctor though. T

The Following User Says Thank You to Hodge64 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2013, 06:10 PM   #4
(female)

Limidu43 HB User

I just had a period that lasted over 2 months and had to get on progesterone to make it stop. Lengthy periods and spotting periods are common during perimenopause.

The Following User Says Thank You to Limidu43 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2013, 07:03 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

irisrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB User

My last period in April lasted 12 days I'm usually pretty regular but I felt a little more perimenopausal last month with more symptoms and then the icing on the cake was a 12 day period. Normal flow the first few days then down to spotting for the rest of the time.

The Following User Says Thank You to irisrose For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2013, 11:47 AM   #6
(female)

Shelley5716 HB UserShelley5716 HB UserShelley5716 HB User

Ive been having ones that last 25 days, off 3 or 4 days then back on again ... spotting during off times ... been off completely now for 7 days, but all the symptoms leading up to one are here big time ... joy joy ...

Feel better ... know ur not alone.

The Following User Says Thank You to Shelley5716 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2013, 03:56 PM   #7
(female)

Luanne72 HB User

Gah, this is happening to me, too. First time ever I've been irregular like this. Like, does this just happen all of a sudden? One month your body goes, "Well, it's time to shoot out some signals that we've had it and we're beginning to close up shop"? Honestly, I would rather it just close the doors completely than this we're-eventually-going-out-of business business.

I've been bleeding off and on (heavy and light, brown and red, clots and none) for three weeks now. Breasts are sore and swollen, breasts are not sore (but still swollen), breasts are more sensitive to caffeine (I have fibrocystic breasts). (And no, not pregnant, so it's not that.)

Every day I go "OK, when will this end?" It sucks.

So, thank God you posted this. Second post I've read in a week where someone is going through the exact same thing as I am. At least we can relate...

The Following User Says Thank You to Luanne72 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2013, 11:30 AM   #8
(female)

zeldajane750 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luanne72 View Post
Gah, this is happening to me, too. First time ever I've been irregular like this. Like, does this just happen all of a sudden? One month your body goes, "Well, it's time to shoot out some signals that we've had it and we're beginning to close up shop"? Honestly, I would rather it just close the doors completely than this we're-eventually-going-out-of business business.

I've been bleeding off and on (heavy and light, brown and red, clots and none) for three weeks now. Breasts are sore and swollen, breasts are not sore (but still swollen), breasts are more sensitive to caffeine (I have fibrocystic breasts). (And no, not pregnant, so it's not that.)

Every day I go "OK, when will this end?" It sucks.

So, thank God you posted this. Second post I've read in a week where someone is going through the exact same thing as I am. At least we can relate...
I really appreciate your post. It can be maddening can't it? Will I get my period how long will it last will it be a flood? I think there's only about one week a month I feel confident going out without wearing a pad. I will be glad when I get the polyp removed, hopefully that will reduce some of the bleeding. I am also having a D and C at the time. I'm a little nervous about pain, recovery time, and what they will find. Of course I always worry about cancer. Thanks for listening it's stressful being a woman isn't it?

Old 05-18-2013, 10:39 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Johands333 HB UserJohands333 HB User

Start keeping a journal. I went through menopause recently and now I'm considered postmenopausal. The last two years I wrote down my strange cycle. Back in the day I was so predictable that I could tell my husband not only the day but the time of day to get pregnant with our second child. I could tell what time of day that month my period would come. Then it got a little unpredictable. Then about 2 years ago I started having a light period at the beginning of the month with a regular one in the middle. Then I skipped one. Then I would have a week of a very weak period folllowed by a regular one (9 days long). I thought this was strange until I wrote it all down and it actually showed a type of pattern. Then two years ago I had 2 periods the whole year and last year none. I had one period where I woke up one night and the flow was so strong and bad I was almost ready to call 911. Then it just returned to normal in about 5 minutes and I was fine. My daughter has PCOS and she's almost 30. She gets long heavy periods. That is different from perimenopause symtoms.

Reply Reply