It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2013, 06:02 AM   #1
(female)

betty333 HB User
blocked nose could it be a symptom?

I'm wondering if any of you experiencing blocked nose symptoms. I'm 46 and have very often stuffy, sometimes completely blocked nose. Very annoying! It started about 2 or 3 years ago, about the same time as my period, which used to be like a swiss clock became very irregular. I've had surgery / turbinates reduction, using nasal sprays, but nothing seems to work. The surgery slightly helped.
Beside the irregular periods and blocked nose I don't have any symptoms.

Old 05-14-2013, 09:12 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User
Re: blocked nose could it be a symptom?

I suffer the same problem.
Either one side or the other or both. I wake constantly in the night because of this.
In the daytime it dosent seem so bad.
ENT Consultant diagnosed many years ago "Allergic Rhinitis". I also have a deveated septum. Antihistamines don't help, neither did steroid spray
What Nasal Spray do you use.

Solofelix.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-14-2013, 03:55 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

If it's allergic rhinitis, try allergy shots.

Old 05-14-2013, 04:50 PM   #4
(female)

jojopooh HB Userjojopooh HB Userjojopooh HB Userjojopooh HB Userjojopooh HB Userjojopooh HB User
Wink Re: blocked nose could it be a symptom?

Hi Ladies. A few months ago I decided to cut dairy from my diet due to bloating and indigestion. For about a year now I've had a stuffy nose, worse at night. Well, a few days after stopping dairy, my bloating and indigestion went away, surprise, my hot flashes also went away and my stuffy nose cleared up. Mine was definitely allergies. Allergies are common during peri and menopause.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:40 PM   #5
(female)

betty333 HB User

I had many allergy tests, and according to it, I'm only allergic to dust mite, cats, grass. If it was the dairy, why wasn't I allergic 2 years ago? But I will give it a try, cut dairies from my diet, and see if it changes anything.
Mine is also worse during the night. I've tried all kind of sprays. Currently I'm using flixonase (same company as beconase). Very minor improvement, and I'm scared using it over a long period of time.
Few times I tried decongestant spray: dimetapp, works like magic but can use it only for max 3 days! Very easily can get addicted and if you use it for a long time it will become a lot worse!!!
Using saline sprays, minimal to none effect.
What did work though, we were away in Asia for 1 month, my nose was fine, didn't even noticed I had allergies/ sinus problems. Maybe I should move from this place. I live in a hot humid area, but now it's winter, not as humid and still my nose gets blocked most of the time.

Old 05-15-2013, 03:54 AM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Mine is always blocked during sleep in the winter due to the heat being on. Have you tried the Breathe Right nose strips? I use them during the winter and they work very well.

And you have to be tested separately for food allergies. It's a blood test not a skin scratch test. Most people just have the environmental allergy testing. Considering that you are allergic to dust mites, that also may be your issue as your bed is full of them. You could try bagging your mattress and pillows and washing your bedding weekly in hot water. Or get allergy shots. They work well usually for dust mites.

Old 05-15-2013, 06:22 AM   #7
(female)

betty333 HB User

I had both blood test and the scratch test, none showed any food allergies.
I have special dust mite protection sheet and pillow cover and regularly wash it.
I can't figure it out anymore, cause when travelled around, many different places, slept in different hotels, had no prooblem at all, no dust mites there?
I'm thinking about the allergy shots, but it's a 3 years commitment, and might not even work.
I checked also the Breathe Right nose, but the chemist said it's more for snoring and not so much for blocked nose, so I didn't try it yet, but I probably will.
It's not even the same every day, some days it's ok, some days I can't breath. Terrible!

Old 05-15-2013, 07:20 AM   #8
(female)

Hodge64 HB UserHodge64 HB UserHodge64 HB User

Maybe there's something in your house you're sensitive to? Could there be mold somewhere? My son had the same problem and when he left home after high school he was not stuffy anymore. We realized when he came home for the weekends that he was allergic to the cat. T

Old 05-15-2013, 08:25 AM   #9
Facilitator
(female)

I just checked their web site and right on the front it says for blocked nasal passages. And I think it says that on the box as well...at least here in the states it does.

Last edited by Titchou; 05-15-2013 at 08:29 AM.

Old 05-15-2013, 11:41 AM   #10
(female)

Shelley5716 HB UserShelley5716 HB UserShelley5716 HB User

Yes Yes and Yes ... every evening about/around 5 p.m. I get stuffy ... during the nite, I wake up completely stopped up on one side, I turn over, that side gets stopped up ... wow ... we are all goin thru this mess with so much of the same things ... glad I'm not alone in this ...

Old 05-23-2013, 07:49 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

Do try the "Breathe Right" Nasal strips.
They DO WORK for Nasal Congestion. I have had a shocking cold and was so blocked in my nose nothing else would work and Night time was a Nightmare, with me so blocked I could almost choke.
After reading Titchou's advice I bought a pkt. THEY WORKED!!... I am thinking now of wearing them during the day when I am at home until this cold goes,
Good Luck to all with this nasty condition,

Solofelix.

Old 05-23-2013, 02:52 PM   #12
Facilitator
(female)

Glad they helped! I love them. I get stopped up in the winter because my sinuses hate having the heat on. It's the only way I get any sleep then.

The Following User Says Thank You to Titchou For This Useful Post:
solofelix (05-24-2013)
Old 05-24-2013, 07:21 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
Glad they helped! I love them. I get stopped up in the winter because my sinuses hate having the heat on. It's the only way I get any sleep then.

For many years I woke endless times in the night dying of thirst after breathing through my mouth because of being so blocked up.
I will never be without the "Breathe Right" nasal strips again.
Couldn't believe such a simple device would bring such relief. Thanks for mentioning them,

Solofelix.

Reply Reply