It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2013, 08:39 AM   #1
(female)

Jusula HB User
Anyone else have trouble finding effective treatment for Meno Anxiety/Depression?

I've tried Cymbalta, Lexapro, Paxil and Zoloft. All made me much more anxious and in the case of Cymbalta and Zoloft, unbearable other side effects. Sad thing is several years before meno, I took Lexapro just fine for depression. I've also tried bio-identical HRT, which helped at first but the estrogen component caused increasing anxiety while the progesterone ended up causing more depression, even at very low doses. I've been using Ativan to control the anxiety and to sleep. Current MD has me trying gabapentin just this week, and wants to add Wellbutrin which is not an SSRI but can increase anxiety. This trial and error stuff takes its toll. I think it would help to know I am not the only one whose come up against this. Have to say I envy those who are able to try one thing and have it work.

Old 06-20-2013, 01:57 PM   #2
(female)

dixie1963 HB User
Re: Anyone else have trouble finding effective treatment for Meno Anxiety/Depression?

I so understand your post! I am having a hard time with anxiety and depression, and haven't found anything that really helps.

I am 50 years old, and started having peri symptoms around 40, with the symptoms really picking up steam around 46. For the past year I have been on HRT, Vivelle-Dot and Prometrium. I wish I could say it was the answer, but for me, it only helped the hot flashes/night sweats.

I am also on Lexapro, and don't find it does much of anything anymore. I gave Cymbalta a try, and it made me want to sleep all day. I have been on nearly every AD there is in the last 10 years, and haven't found any to really help my anxiety. The depression seems to come and go. Right now I am in a pretty bad phase with it.

I just don't know what the answer is, I just wanted to let you know you are not alone. This is such a hard time in life.

The following user gives a hug of support to dixie1963:
Jusula (06-26-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-21-2013, 05:27 AM   #3
(female)

Megapause HB User
Re: Anyone else have trouble finding effective treatment for Meno Anxiety/Depression?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusula View Post
I've tried Cymbalta, Lexapro, Paxil and Zoloft. All made me much more anxious and in the case of Cymbalta and Zoloft, unbearable other side effects. Sad thing is several years before meno, I took Lexapro just fine for depression. I've also tried bio-identical HRT, which helped at first but the estrogen component caused increasing anxiety while the progesterone ended up causing more depression, even at very low doses. I've been using Ativan to control the anxiety and to sleep. Current MD has me trying gabapentin just this week, and wants to add Wellbutrin which is not an SSRI but can increase anxiety. This trial and error stuff takes its toll. I think it would help to know I am not the only one whose come up against this. Have to say I envy those who are able to try one thing and have it work.
Hi Jusula:

I just read your post and I felt as if I was the one that actually wrote it. I have been down the EXACT same path as you are going on right now. I can tell you that what has helped me out tremendously are two things: They added testosterone and 1mg of Klonopin at night. And after three days, poof.....I was back to normal. It was such a relief for me. I don't know if you will have the same experience as I did but it may be worth a try to have a heart to heart conversation with your doctor.

I use Androgel 1% (I use the size of a lima bean and I apply it on the backs of the bends of my knees....everyday). I use the combipatch 50/250 and replace it every three days. I use 10mcg of Vagifem inserted into the vagina everyday and 1mg of klonopin every night.

The klonopin will help you get much needed rest and take away that anxiety feeling and fluttering with the rapid heart beat. Now the klonopin does not last as long as Xanax, however, I found that Xanax made me sick to my tummy.

I want to wish you the very best that life has to offer. I am here for you if you need a friend. I am struggling with this thing called Menopause and I wish it would just go away. Personally, I have decided to change it's name to "MEGAPAUSE"...because the symptoms are so overwhelming and relief is so hard to come by.

Big Hugs

The following user gives a hug of support to Megapause:
Jusula (06-26-2013)
Old 06-21-2013, 02:45 PM   #4
(female)

Hodge64 HB UserHodge64 HB UserHodge64 HB User

I couldn't take the ssri's either as they made my anxiety worse. I tried Mirtazapine and it seems to be working. I don't feel great but I'm ten times better than I was. Mirtazapine is a sedating AD and it helps me to sleep and lowers my anxiety.

The Following User Says Thank You to Hodge64 For This Useful Post:
Jusula (06-26-2013)
Old 06-21-2013, 05:42 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

CrazyLife414 HB UserCrazyLife414 HB UserCrazyLife414 HB User

Hi..just thought I would try to give you another option. I tried many different pils and one was worse than the other...I found a new OBGYN. And she did a bunch if bloodwork and then sent me to a compounding pharmacy. They gave me some stuff for adrenal support and another called Adrenal Calm. They are both natural and have made a big difference. A much bigger impact on me than any "drug". So many Docs rely on drugs and I am grateful that mine was thinking outside the box.
Good Luck to you, I know how you feel, I call it Meno-Hell!!

B.

The Following User Says Thank You to CrazyLife414 For This Useful Post:
Jusula (06-26-2013)
Old 06-21-2013, 09:51 PM   #6
(female)

Jusula HB User

Ah what great replies! Thanks for your ideas--and your support! Some new things to consider. Another thing that gets to me is that I just cannot do as much or tolerate as much as used to before this meno thing hit. Work capacity is down (I'm self employed so in control of my work load, thank heaven), socializing is way down. Geez, I can't even seem to focus on TV shows. But it is so good to know that I am not the only one struggling to find solutions. Keep the faith, ladies. I am told there is a light at the end of the tunnel and we will get there.

Old 06-24-2013, 07:14 AM   #7
(female)

Tanya1967 HB User

I am Taking Wellbutrin 100mg sr twice a day along with a new Prescription Vitamin called Deplin as well as Emerita progesterone cream. Anxiety is gone. And I'm sleeping through the night. Look up Deplin. Good luck.

Old 06-26-2013, 01:17 PM   #8
(female)

Jusula HB User

That's great news, Tanya! Always glad to hear a success story! I will check out Deplin. Thanks for the info!

Old 06-27-2013, 11:50 AM   #9
(female)

3sillykidsnadog HB User

I have also been using Mirtazapine. I've been on it since Feb/13. It's taken a couple months but seems to be working. I have, however, been experiencing some anxiety this week but nothing disabling like I used to experience.

Reply Reply