It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2013, 10:07 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Linma2428 HB User
stomach digestive problems

I am 57 1/2 just started missing periods. I missed feb, march, april. Then had period in June. Thought I was going to miss all 12 but then Junes showed up. I have posted here before about having a problem with urinating all the time. Went and had testing done was found to be normal. Was suggested maybe I should check into getting an implant that blocks the signal to the bladder so I don't feel like I have to pee all the time. I ask him about menopause told him I am just now missing periods. They didn't even consider hormones I don't think. Said yes its possible. So have been tolerating the peeing problem hoping it will get better once I am through menopause and hormones are more constant. A week after the June period I got sick with throwing up and diarreah. Thought it was a virus had major chills. But its been hanging on now. I am wondering if a person can be really sick with unable to eat due to throwing up and diarreah and it be a menopause issue. I called my doctor and he said might be a virus so going to go in and see him. I am tired of getting these tests and then finding out things can be from hormones. I am glad when nothing is wrong. What I have now is if I eat even a bite of something like yogart or cracker I can become overwhelemed with a feeling of nauseousness. My stomach rolls around I get diarreah and can even throw up. I thought it was a virus but has been coming and going for a couple weeks. The 3 months I had no period I felt nothing like this just the peeing problem and hot flashes. Ultimately will see the doctor probably get some tests and then know whats going on. I just wonder if hormones could cause this severe a stomach/digestive problems.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-03-2013, 07:18 AM   #2
(female)

qttlsn HB User
Re: stomach digestive problems

dear Limna, of course you should get cheked to verify whether it's a virus. However I can offer some basic wisdom: yes, hormonal fluctuactions can cause diarrohea. They can also cause vomiting, but I understand it is rarer. A slight nausea, on the other hand, is fairly common. Doctors tend to be dismissive of menopausal issues, at best saying that it's a normal part of life. Which leaves you feeling sick AND stupid. Point 3: all this can easily bring (it has certainly worked this way for me) to a spiral of hyponchondria, where you check all your symptoms all the time and are fairly sure you are going to discover a lethal illness, PARTICULARLY if you exhibit some symptom which is fairly rare. My suggestion: first verify whether it's a virus, because if so, you can act immediately. Then search for a gynecologist/endocrinologue who knows what he or better still, SHE is doing, and ask him/her to direct you. He/She will have you make test to check your hormonal levels and then you can start understanding what is due to what.... By the way: it has not happened to me, but incontinence or frequent urge to urinate are common in menopause and nobody has the right to dismiss them as if they were not important.

The Following User Says Thank You to qttlsn For This Useful Post:
noreaster88 (07-12-2013)
Old 07-03-2013, 10:48 AM   #3
(female)

CityGirl72 HB User

Although I'm fairly new to this peri-menopause game. I'm having awful tummy troubles. At first I thought I had that bad flu going around, but I have a constant burping and nausea. To where when I walk I'm hunched over and grabbing walls just to get to the kitchen. Most of the time I'm laying down.

I went to a GI DR, and they gave me prilosec and zantac both of which make it worse. Which tells me that's not it.

I've been eating candied ginger at the onset - and that helps. Try it out

Old 07-03-2013, 01:20 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Linma2428 HB User

Thank you both for your thoughts and experiences on what could be happening. I see my gyno on the 9th will ask him about this and other things. I found that eating dill pickles are the only thing that seems to help. Then it dawned on me eating pickles. Pickles are an old thing they use to alway make jokes about when someone was pregnant on TV years and years ago. While I am not pregnant pretty weird that pickels help kind of like they helped cravings in some pregnant women. Still could be a virus. The vinegar in the pickles might help for some reason. I will see what happens the next few days. Thanks again

Old 07-03-2013, 07:27 PM   #5
(female)

avandalay HB User

First time poster, but this board has helped me immensely over the past year. I am suffering from peri-menopause and let me tell you, my stomach is a mess. In the past few months, I've had acid reflux, bouts with IBS-D, and overactive bladder. I was told by my Dr. to eat Activia yogurt and take probiotics everyday. That, plus watching what I eat have helped. There are foods that trigger the problem. I have not had to vomit, but have had stomach/abdominal pains that make me not want to eat. I do, just to keep healthy. As for urinating all the time, cease caffeine intake, until you see your Dr. That has helped me.

The Following User Says Thank You to avandalay For This Useful Post:
Linma2428 (07-04-2013)
Old 07-04-2013, 10:22 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User

Hi I'm 57 been thru menopause for a while. But last year I started with nausea diarrhea. Went to gi doc had all kinds of tests. Went on gluten free diet for 3 months no help. I now am getting a second opinion aug 14 gi doc. I take prilosec otc twice a day. Its called silent reflux I was diagnosed with that stage 3. I stay on bland diet. Cathy

The Following User Says Thank You to noevr For This Useful Post:
Linma2428 (07-04-2013)
Reply Reply