It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Men's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2006, 12:09 PM   #1
(male)

lintmunro HB User
Circumcision Planned

Alright, I've been suffering from Phimosis my whole life. When I was around 16, I realized the foreskin was supposed to retract. I've been through all I could to get it fixed, but to no avail.

I've made two previous threads on the issue

[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?p=2234835#post2234835[/url]

[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?p=2276035#post2276035[/url]

Essentially, a circumcision has been planned as per my new Urologists suggestion, it's being covered by OHIP (Health Insurance) as he feels it is a necessity.

My questions are simple, and any help is appreciated;

- Although my foreskin has never retracted while erect, I appreciated the 'gliding' sensation of it. Would a loose circumcision be my best bet?

- How long until after the surgery will I be 'allowed' to re-engage in sexual activity

Is there anything else I should know? Anything I should make sure of?

I'm going for my assessment, I guess you could say, in a few days. I assume this is where the process will be discussed, where I will find out what exactly will be done: I know it's a circumcision and the frenulum (very short) will be dealt with, but it is my understanding there are varying styles of circumcision as well as various ways to deal with the frenulum. If there's any advice or suggestions, they'd be greatly appreciated.

I'm really nervous about it but I feel it is in fact necessary. Over a year of stretching without cream, 8 months with cream and the like have not cured the phimosis.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-10-2006, 06:28 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

tommy124 HB Usertommy124 HB Usertommy124 HB Usertommy124 HB Usertommy124 HB User
Re: Circumcision Planned

You might be best of just having the phimotic ring removed, with as little foreskin as possible taken, and a frenuloplasty. Good luck with it.

Old 05-10-2006, 09:43 AM   #3
(male)

lintmunro HB User

I take it that's what is discussed in the pre-op situation?

Old 05-10-2006, 01:43 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Geoff B HB UserGeoff B HB UserGeoff B HB UserGeoff B HB UserGeoff B HB UserGeoff B HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lintmunro
I take it that's what is discussed in the pre-op situation?
I presume so. That's what happens in other sorts of surgery, like hernias. Go for as little foreskin removal as possible and as much of the frenulum preserved likewise. Many surgeons tend to want to remove more because the healing and surgery is simpler. So make sure he justifies removing what is necessary and no more than that.
Did you ever get to actually try real Betamethasone or was the stuff beginning with T a brand name?
I think you have to wait at least six weeks before sexual activity but have seen others report shorter times (not sure if they were breaking their doctors rules though).
Geoff

Old 05-10-2006, 03:34 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

X5DRIVER HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lintmunro
Alright, I've been suffering from Phimosis my whole life. When I was around 16, I realized the foreskin was supposed to retract. I've been through all I could to get it fixed, but to no avail.

I've made two previous threads on the issue

[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?p=2234835#post2234835[/url]

[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?p=2276035#post2276035[/url]

Essentially, a circumcision has been planned as per my new Urologists suggestion, it's being covered by OHIP (Health Insurance) as he feels it is a necessity.

My questions are simple, and any help is appreciated;

- Although my foreskin has never retracted while erect, I appreciated the 'gliding' sensation of it. Would a loose circumcision be my best bet?

- How long until after the surgery will I be 'allowed' to re-engage in sexual activity

Is there anything else I should know? Anything I should make sure of?

I'm going for my assessment, I guess you could say, in a few days. I assume this is where the process will be discussed, where I will find out what exactly will be done: I know it's a circumcision and the frenulum (very short) will be dealt with, but it is my understanding there are varying styles of circumcision as well as various ways to deal with the frenulum. If there's any advice or suggestions, they'd be greatly appreciated.

I'm really nervous about it but I feel it is in fact necessary. Over a year of stretching without cream, 8 months with cream and the like have not cured the phimosis.
I think a loose circumcision is ok but not too loose. Too loose and you are tempting the same problems, and others, to return. I think an ideal circumcision is when the entire glans is exposed while flaccid with a little skin bunched up behind the corona.

As for the recovery time, it does vary with the individual. some guys are back at it after only a few weeks, some need longer.

Congratulations on your decision. I know it must be very difficult living with Phimosis. Don't worry about the result, most men who have had circumcisions are very happy being circumcised. I am circumcised and love it!

Old 05-11-2006, 10:03 AM   #6
(male)

lintmunro HB User

The cream I used was apparently the same as Betamethasone.

I'm not really worried, perse, about being circumcised. I'm just worried about the doctor, he doesnt seem to tell me much, and while my family doctor had high praise about him, I just dont know. It should go fine, though, I'm just nervous. I mean, surgery is never fun.

Old 05-11-2006, 12:17 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

tommy124 HB Usertommy124 HB Usertommy124 HB Usertommy124 HB Usertommy124 HB User

You are in no danger of phimosis, with having just the tight ring removed. Once the tight part is gone, it's gone. I would opt for as much foreskin as possible, to keep any gliding motion, and to keep the glans covered when not being used. My only concern would be that the doctor know exactly what I wanted, and carry out the instructions as asked.

Old 05-11-2006, 04:48 PM   #8
(male)

lintmunro HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy124
You are in no danger of phimosis, with having just the tight ring removed. Once the tight part is gone, it's gone. I would opt for as much foreskin as possible, to keep any gliding motion, and to keep the glans covered when not being used. My only concern would be that the doctor know exactly what I wanted, and carry out the instructions as asked.
That's my concern, too.

He basically never discussed it with me, he took a look and told me I needed it done, but that was it.

The pre-op is as far as I know, just to take blood pressure and the like, and so I think I'm going to have to call and discuss it with him.

Closed Thread