It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Men's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2007, 04:15 AM   #1
(male)

steelersfan1 HB User
Androderm 5 Mg Patch and Still Low Testosterone

Hi,

About 8 weeks ago, I started the 5 mg Androderm patch because I had low testosterone (39 years old). I immediately felt better - more energy, less anxiety. I had my blood retested this week and was very suprised to find out it is still at 200. The doctor suggested I up my dose to 7.5 mg per day. I am wondering why my blood level would not have gone up? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-09-2007, 05:49 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

hayfarmer HB User
Re: Androderm 5 Mg Patch and Still Low Testosterone

This is not uncommon. When you first started the patch you had T from two sources in your body. The T your testicles made and the T from the patch. The body has a feedback mechanism to control T levels. The Hypothalmus in the brain senses T level and adjusts LH production in the pituitary up or down to raise or lower T. Your hypothalmus sensed T was higher than it thought was normal so it shut down LH production causing your testicles to stop making T. So now you only have the T in your body from the patch. Your doctor should know all this.

Keep in mind your testicles will remain shut down while on T replacement. Over time they will shrink and become soft like a muscle that is not used. You will also become much less fertile. If smaller testicls or being infertile bother you then look in to HCG (human chorionic gonadotropin). You can take it by itself or combine it with T replacement. It is similar to LH and will stimulate the testicles and keep them working.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-09-2007, 10:11 AM   #3
(male)

steelersfan1 HB User

Should I see an endrochronologist? Family doctor was asking me questions of low testosterone, so probabaly should find a doctor who specializes in this, eh?

Old 11-09-2007, 10:58 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

hayfarmer HB User

In PA you are not far from one of the world's experts in this field, Dr. Eugene Shippen in Shillington PA. But he does not take insurance. Anyway, I would call around to endo's and ask if they specialize in male hormone replacement. Most don't. The fact is it's very hard to find a good doctor to treat this unfortunately. Most just want to prescribe androgel or testim.

Closed Thread