It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Men's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2007, 12:04 PM   #1
(male)

Onclou9 HB UserOnclou9 HB User
Considering stopping my Testosterone replacement

Hi all,

I was in to see the doctor this morning and inquired about the TRT. Since they never found a cause and there was no clear cut 'you need it' or 'you don't', I was asking her opinion on the TRT and whether it was something I should have done or not. Basically looking for reassurance.

My original numbers were at 266 total and free was within range (I can't remember right now). I am 36 and stand 6'3" 300 lbs. I always wondered if weight or inactivity were the cause of my low T numbers.

She was non-committal either way but said that I could stop the Testosterone and see what happens. I plan to start exercising in a week or two full time again. She indicated that at just over a year of taking HRT, I should go back to what my body was capable of before and we could re-evaluate from there. I am thinking that when my T runs out, I might just stop and see what happens and have my levels tested again a couple months after that.

My original symptoms were minor ed and lethargy, fatigue, mental confusion, depression, quick to anger, etc. However, at the same time I had extraordinary amounts of stress in my life that could have caused the low numbers. I am still stressed so nothing is clear cut.

Since starting the Tesosterone therapy, ED is all gone. Libido is about the same and comes and goes. Energy level is a little better but could be explained by other factors. Muscles have increased in my arms and shoulders without question and is bordering on starting to be defined. My endurance is higher (I dragged a deer I killed about 1/4 mile with no problems). But I can't point to anything that drastically changed in my life. For the brief period of time where my body was still making T and I was supplementing (total in the 800's) I felt GREAT....plenty of sex drive and felt almost 18. Then my body stopped and I went back to being human again.

Thoughts?

OC9

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-18-2007, 12:42 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Bengie HB User
Re: Considering stopping my Testosterone replacement

Starting exercising is good, losing weight is good. but with a low T level you will not see the benefits of working out. Lifting weights will increase T but since your body was so low (266 is very low for a man) it wont raise it that much more.

and it wont take a couple of months for you levels to drop. a couple of weeks and you will be back to all the symptoms you had before TRT.

were you seeing an endo or a gp?

Lots of times there is no reason for the boys to stop working. They just stop or hte pituitary stops.

Old 12-19-2007, 06:39 AM   #3
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengie View Post
Starting exercising is good, losing weight is good. but with a low T level you will not see the benefits of working out. Lifting weights will increase T but since your body was so low (266 is very low for a man) it wont raise it that much more.

and it wont take a couple of months for you levels to drop. a couple of weeks and you will be back to all the symptoms you had before TRT.

were you seeing an endo or a gp?

Lots of times there is no reason for the boys to stop working. They just stop or hte pituitary stops.

I was actually seeing a GP that worked for an endo and was up to date on everything to do with hormones.

I don't suppose that if it only takes a couple weeks that I would hurt anything by trying to quit. Perhaps I will do so when I am half way through the last 90 day prescription and see what happens. If I go back, then it will be verification that I was in need. I understand that if I can't make enough of my own, the crash will be much more evident than the melting away of syptoms that starts when you begin supplementing. Maybe my feeling that I don't need the T is a result of the slow way that the bad symptoms of low T melted away.

Well, all that I can do is try.

OC9

Old 12-19-2007, 08:23 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

orion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB User

After a year of taking testosterone replacement you will at the very least have seriously turned off you own possible production. It could take a year to return to your normal. You might look into Clomid to stimulate LH production for a while.

If that your normal was low, then you risk some long term problems including, muscle loss, osteoporisis, immune supression and joint problems. Low testosterone has also been associated with prostate cancer. You will have to think carefully about stopping in the face of your previous symptoms and the possible consequences.

Old 12-19-2007, 08:46 AM   #5
(male)

Orion, here are my original numbers:

Total 266 (350-1100)
Free 81 (46-244)

Total was certainly impared but the free (calculated) was on the low to normal range. That was the reason for the lack of a 'you definitely need this' or 'you definitely don't need this'.

The idea isn't to just stop all together and stay off even if I go back to being low. The idea was to see if maybe my low numbers were caused by something other than hypogonadism or was perhaps only temporary. If I went back to the symptoms and low numbers again, I would just have restart.

If someone would have told me 'no doubt about it, you need replacement therapy' I wouldn't care. I just have this underlying uneasiness that somehow I did something I didn't need to do.

Thanks,
OC9

Old 12-19-2007, 08:58 AM   #6
(male)

mangoman HB User

You mention that you're at 300 pounds and have concerns about your own levels of "inactivity." Getting serious about fitness/nutrition could play a bigger role in your hormone regulation than you're giving it credit for. Also, your points about stress are interesting to me. My understanding is that hormone imbalances may inhibit your ability to deal with stress. So there' s cause and effect issue. Anyway, I would definitely consider "trying everything else first" before resolving to lifelong TRT, and losing some weight is certainly something good to try (for multiple reasons). Good luck.

Old 12-19-2007, 09:15 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onclou9 View Post
If someone would have told me 'no doubt about it, you need replacement therapy' I wouldn't care. I just have this underlying uneasiness that somehow I did something I didn't need to do.
You have to remember that the low testosterone numbers are samples from guys who have no symptoms and appear normal in every way. Those samples include all ages of guys so you could be comparing yourself to a 65 year old who felt fine but was really on the verge of low testosterone himself.

However, you had symptoms, and in that case, even with marginally normal testosterone you were deficient. Assuming there were no other factors such as a recent accidental blow to the head or some medication you were taking, then your doctor should have tested your LH and FHS to see if they were low as well. If so, you would have known the source of your low testosterone. I assume you had more than one blood test before deciding if the tests were correct. I'm gussing the other results were similar.

At this point I think its just wishful thinking that you could now stop and have everything return to normal. It appears that according to your numbers and your symptoms, normal for you was deficient. Returning to that state isn't really a good option.

Old 12-19-2007, 09:15 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Bengie HB User

Quote:
Orion, here are my original numbers:

Total 266 (350-1100)
Free 81 (46-244)

Total was certainly impared but the free (calculated) was on the low to normal range. That was the reason for the lack of a 'you definitely need this' or 'you definitely don't need this'.
look at it this way, how were you feeling when your numbers were this low? and in my experience doctors now aday dont say "you definitly need this". When I was talking to the endo about taking any of my hormons all he would say is that "it would improve my life in a number of way". The neurosurgeon would just say "its a good idea to have the surgery". I think you are looking for a black and white answer and your not gonna get it.

So, I would suggest you hit the gym go on a diet. Get down to about 260. Then have blood work done. if you T numbers have increased then you know part of your problem was weight/inactivity. Then you can try getting off T replacement. I think if you try to get of T, get in the gym, and lose weight all at the same time, you will set yourself up for failure. (After I had surgery I weighted 350+ lbs took a year of dieting and going to the gym 6 days a week to get down to 235. yes it was hard to go to the gym 6days a week with work but I would get to the gym at 5am be done by 7 and at work by 8. I would not have had the energy to do any of that without TRT)

Old 12-19-2007, 09:18 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangoman View Post
You mention that you're at 300 pounds
Have you ever had your cortisol levels checked? Some pituitary problems include excess cortisol production that leads to significant weight gain.

Have you had your prolactin checked?

Old 12-19-2007, 11:15 AM   #10
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Have you ever had your cortisol levels checked? Some pituitary problems include excess cortisol production that leads to significant weight gain.

Have you had your prolactin checked?
I had the gammet of tests and all of my other levels, including cortisol, was normal.

I actually did take a blow to the back of the head on the 4th of July 2005. My wife mopped the floor and didn't tell me. Feet kept going, butt hit the floor, and I whiplashed the back left side of my head against a door frame. I hit so hard, I was certain that I broke the wood door trim. It didn't knock me out....had no imparement ....slight headache. Why would that have any effect on T?

Thanks,
OC9

Last edited by Onclou9; 12-19-2007 at 11:15 AM.

Old 12-19-2007, 02:11 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

Bengie HB User

blows to the head can damage the pit. its very delicate.

Old 12-20-2007, 01:08 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
I had the gammet of tests and all of my other levels, including cortisol, was normal.

I actually did take a blow to the back of the head on the 4th of July 2005. My wife mopped the floor and didn't tell me. Feet kept going, butt hit the floor, and I whiplashed the back left side of my head against a door frame. I hit so hard, I was certain that I broke the wood door trim. It didn't knock me out....had no imparement ....slight headache. Why would that have any effect on T?

Thanks,
OC9
At all times my cortisol levels were low normal but when I was given a provocative test meant to determine my cortisol reserve; I didn't have any reserve at all. Unfortunately a simple blood test can't determine if you have a cortisol deficiency although high levels of cortisol are a good indication of normal cortisol.

Blows to the head can damage the pituitary. Car accidents are prime examples where people discover years later that they have no pituitary function. Most likely the blood flow is cut off to the pituitary due to swelling or a hemorage and it slowly dies. If the blow to your head coincides with the start of problems, then its possible your pituitary looks normal but isn't functioning normally. Only the insulin induced hypoglycemia test can determine if your pituitary is abnormal. Of course a malfunctioning pituitary could lower LH and FSH which control testosterone production.

Closed Thread