It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Men's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2008, 06:58 PM   #1
(male)

thesaddr HB User
Question low testosterone with normal LH and FSH levels

I am a 42 yr. old male w/2 children and a wife of ten years. I have been recently diagnosed w/low testosterone low/normal LH and FSH. An MRI of my brain was performed and ruled out Pituitary mass. My levels are at 250 and my endocrinologist wants me to go on testosterone replacement what do i do. Is it stress related My wife was dx. with thyroid cancer two years ago and finally the prognosis is favorable.

Old 01-24-2008, 07:32 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

hayfarmer HB User
Re: low testosterone with normal LH and FSH levels

Make sure you rule out the other possible causes that can be treated separately. These include high estradiol or total estrogen, vitamin D deficiency, hemochromatosis (iron overload) and hypothyroidism. Test for estradiol, total estrogen, vit D 25 OH, iron, ferritin, TIBC, saturation % (these last 4 are a basic anemia panel) , TSH, and prolactin.

Once you have exhausted trying to find all the known causes and find nothing you will fall into the majority of cases which is unknown cause. Your T level is very low so you have to treat it. There are too many other serious health issues that will result from ignoring it.

I think the best thing to try first is HCG in low doses. HCG is similar to LH so it will keep your testicles working so they don't atrophy (shrink and become soft). If you don't care about this and don't want any more children then T replacement is fine. You can also combine T replacement and HCG which is what I do because the HCG alone does not get my T high enough. Be aware there are no long term studies on the safety of long term HCG use, only anecdotal evidence.

While on any treatment whether T replacement, HCG, or a combination you should monitor total T and estradiol. Estradiol if too hight (over 35 pg/ml) can ruin libido and cause other health problems. It can be controlled with supplements and Rx's.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2008, 07:33 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

sonvolt HB User

Would you mind listing your test results as far as LH and FSH so I can compare to mine - I had a test with Total 235.

How many times did your Endo test you, once or more than once?

Old 01-24-2008, 07:54 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

hayfarmer HB User

I forgot to say, I doubt it's stress related but then if you are like most of us with unkown cause then who really knows what it is?

Old 04-27-2008, 12:47 AM   #5
(male)

Mrmanguy84 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayfarmer View Post
Make sure you rule out the other possible causes that can be treated separately. These include high estradiol or total estrogen, vitamin D deficiency, hemochromatosis (iron overload) and hypothyroidism. Test for estradiol, total estrogen, vit D 25 OH, iron, ferritin, TIBC, saturation % (these last 4 are a basic anemia panel) , TSH, and prolactin.

Once you have exhausted trying to find all the known causes and find nothing you will fall into the majority of cases which is unknown cause. Your T level is very low so you have to treat it. There are too many other serious health issues that will result from ignoring it.

I think the best thing to try first is HCG in low doses. HCG is similar to LH so it will keep your testicles working so they don't atrophy (shrink and become soft). If you don't care about this and don't want any more children then T replacement is fine. You can also combine T replacement and HCG which is what I do because the HCG alone does not get my T high enough. Be aware there are no long term studies on the safety of long term HCG use, only anecdotal evidence.

While on any treatment whether T replacement, HCG, or a combination you should monitor total T and estradiol. Estradiol if too hight (over 35 pg/ml) can ruin libido and cause other health problems. It can be controlled with supplements and Rx's.
Can you tell me more about Vitamin D deficiency in relation to low testosterone? I have mysterious low/normal T with a lot of symptoms and recently found out my Vitamin D is 22 with a reference range of 32-100.

I've heard a couple scattered references to the idea that low D can cause low T, but I can't find anything on it.

~John

Old 04-27-2008, 07:52 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

hayfarmer HB User

I see Dr. Eugene Shippen and he tested me for vit D and told me that can cause low T in some cases but he did not elaborate. Vitamin D is not really a vitamin but it is a hormone. It is a building block for many of the hormones your body makes. So if low it can effect your bodies ability to make hormones.....but which hormones I don't know.

Dr. Shippen has me taking Vitamin D3 5000 iu capsules by Pure Encapsulations. This is one of the few makers of over 1000 iu capsules .....actually the only one I know of that does not require an Rx. You can find them online. Dr. Shippen also thinks there is plenty of evidence now to think vit D can help prevent many cancers so the wants my level to be up to 50. I started at 30 and am taking 4 caps (20,000 iu) once a week with food. That got me right up to 50. So you might require more. But beware, you can overdose on vitamin D so you need to have your levels checked.

So, even if Vit D does not resolve your T issues, it seems to be worth taking supplements.

Closed Thread