It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Men's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2008, 11:00 AM   #1
(male)

varri24 HB User
Possible prostate Infection?

I am an 18 year old male who has symptoms of prostatitis. Can anyone help? I have visited the E.R. on several occasions, they could never find bacteria or blood during a urine test. The blood however only comes out during a bile movement. This is the only symptom i have showed other then early sperm releasal during sex. I was prescribed doxycycliene 2 weeks ago to fight the infection. The symptoms dont occur everytime I have bile movement, however it has just popped out of no where so I am very bothered and curious by this.
Does anyone know what this can be or what treatments may be? any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-27-2008, 05:38 PM   #2
(male)

jason1979 HB User
Re: Prostate Infections

I had a recent bout with acute bacterial prostatitis that I'm still not over. It started FAST; I'm talking I was fine when I left work and a mess when I got home. Hovering over the toilet because I felt that I had the urge when I didn't, peeing blood, ejaculating gold semen (weird!), pains and aches. Took the Cipro and was all clear in a few days, but ever since have been having dull aches in my groin and hip area...like bad! Don't know when it's going to go away, but I'm waiting...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-27-2008, 11:43 PM   #3
(male)

varri24 HB User
Re: Prostate Infections

OK, thanks man. how long have you been dealing with this? does it get worse? sorry, but i gotta know!! at least im not alone.....well now I'm feeling a wierd sort of pudge in the top left side of my stomach(wish I knew a better word)....is that normal or do you, jason or anyone else know what this could be?

Last edited by moderator4; 07-05-2008 at 08:53 AM. Reason: Do not refer to using illegal drugs on Healthboards.

Old 06-28-2008, 01:59 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

LALOV929 HB User
Re: Possible prostate Infection?

Just a couple of points to help you both sort out your apparent prostate
problems. First of all there are several causes of prostatitis and urology
texts and major hospitals that specialize in such conditions all point out
that bacterial causes are in the minority, invariably less than ten percent.
But it is most convenient for many busy urologists to immediately prescribe
an antibiotic for the condition and then wait to see if that solves the
problem. I had one urologist put me on 30 days of one kind of antibiotic
and when that didn't work he gave me another type for thirty days and
still the symptoms persisted. The acute bacterial form is the most dangerous
and does require immediate antibiotic treatment but chronic prostatitis
which is what I have comes and goes and does not respond to antibiotics.
Then there is a viral form and other non-bacterial forms and what is called
prostadynia which has pain without inflammation and there are ideopathic
causes (ideopathic being medical terminology for unknown).
A second point is that the prostate is positioned right next to the lower
intestinal wall and so any bowel movement can press against the prostate
somewhat as it passes that region. That could account for your symptom,
but blood passing with a bowel movement points to something other than
prostatitis and should be checked out by a competent physician. It could
be something more serious than prostatitis.
Good Luck.

Old 06-28-2008, 05:53 PM   #5
(male)

varri24 HB User

Ok, well thanks, but that makes me worry even more!!!!! 2-3 weeks before it started to occur i had unprotected sex with a new partner, so I am worried that this infection could be in direct response to that. This has been going on for 3 weeks, but has never gotten any worse, but I am still worried. I have an appointment with a doctor Monday, hopefully he will be able to point me in a better direction and let me know what the problem is and whats causing it.

Old 06-28-2008, 09:24 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

hayfarmer HB User

I have prostatitis once and was put on an antiobiotic for over a month. I can't remember the name but I think it was floxacin or ofloxacin or somehting like that. This was many years ago. I ended up with a fungus infection on my skin from the antibiotic. It did seem to help the prostatitis, or that just went away on it's own. I will never know.

But, the real reaon I bring this up is I have always wondered if that antibiotic is what caused my hypogonadism. My symptoms started not long after being on that antibiotic. Anyone else with secondary have this antibiotic before they got hypogonadism? I have since read of many lawsuit related to that antibiotic causing all kinds of issues for people.

Last edited by hayfarmer; 06-28-2008 at 09:25 PM.

Old 06-29-2008, 09:11 PM   #7
Veteran
(male)

LALOV929 HB User

The antibiotic you are questioning is labeled ofloxacin and is one of the
class of antibiotics known as fluoroquinolones which in 2004 were all
given added warnings of a long list of possible side effects, including
peripheral neuropathy which I was just recently diagnosed with. Tendon
damage and heart problems and many other conditions have been
associated with these drugs, so it is certainly possible that use of this
antibiotic in some way affected your hypogonadism.

Old 07-13-2008, 07:26 PM   #8
(male)

varri24 HB User

Question to lalov929 or anyone who may know....
I have been struggling with my prostate issues for about 6 weeks now. I was on a 4 week supply of doxycycliene, which i really dont think helped. As I stated earlier the only symptom I have is blood, and sometimes a sperm like fluid, from my penis ONLY during a tough bowel movement.
Well the night before my symptoms started to occur I drank around 4 beers, and lifted a heavy trailor onto my dads truck with my bear hands!!!! Could this be a non-bacterial form of prostatitis from that? I've heard that antibiotics wont clear up non -bacterial infections...how true is that? Are there any suggestions besides to drink plenty of water? I would ask my urologist, but he sucks and I didnt think about that possible cause until now. I dont usually do hard work when I'm drunk or with a full bladder and this infection occured directly after. I was only thinking about a baterial infection from unprotected sex, but I've been tested for HIV, ghonnorea/chlamydia, and all test were negative. I've also had a full physical examination and bloodwork, everythings good according to my Doc., except for a low hdl cholestoral(no affiliation to prostatitis, I think).... so I'm left thinking non bacterial prostatitis. I'm driving myself crazy over this....any replies would be greatly GREATLY appreciated. Thanks

Last edited by varri24; 07-13-2008 at 07:27 PM.

Old 07-14-2008, 08:55 AM   #9
(male)

Paseo HB User

Earlier you talked about some sort of bulge in your stomach (pudge I think you called it) and now you are talking about lifting heavy objects. I would have that area checked out to determine whether or not you have a hernia. Whether or not that is affecting the blood issue or not is hard to say, but heavy lifting, a bulge, and issues concerning bowel movements can all be easily attributed to a hernia.

I hope you get it figured out soon!

Old 07-14-2008, 09:33 AM   #10
Veteran
(male)

LALOV929 HB User

I sure agree with Paseo...you should have your doctor do the simple
test for hernia as soon as possible. Wish you had described the heavy
lifting that coiincided time wise with the onset of your symptoms earlier.
Tell me, if you cough hard do you feel pain anywhere?

Old 07-14-2008, 11:01 AM   #11
(male)

varri24 HB User

Thanks for the replies fellows. I'm going in tomorrow for x-rays, so I'll ask about the hernia test while I am there. I would have mentioned this earlier, but I was just so sure that I got an infection from unprotected sex that it blocked my mind from even thinking of any other possible causes.
I dont feel pain anywhere during a hard cough...however I have experienced very early ejaculation during sexual intercourse and my sperm has been really gooey like....Any affiliation to a hernia or anything?

Old 07-15-2008, 09:26 AM   #12
Veteran
(male)

LALOV929 HB User

As to 'gooey' semen, the prostate supplies most of the liquid component
of semen. It is possible that the exertion you described affected the
muscles in that entire region...they all affect each other. It could well
include hernia as well. Probably be a good idea to let your doc into the
whole story so he can better diagnose your problem.

Old 07-15-2008, 09:04 PM   #13
(male)

varri24 HB User

I went in today and had several cat scans done, everything was normal. I also had a procedure done when they put a tube/scope down into your penis and check everything out(dont remember what thats called). -Everything looked fine according to the "Doctor". Thats what scares me, I just knew they'd find something! This blood issue is seriously bothering me, because its never happened until I had unprotected sex with a new partner about 2 months ago. I know that there is a 3 month window period for hiv, I took mine about 6-7 weeks after my possible exposure. Could anyone tell me the possibility of getting a positive in this period if by chance I was? I know I am sounding like a complete worrier over this but I'm naturally a paranoid person. I've been with the same girl for 3 years, but as soon as I went out and had unprotected vaginal sex with a new partner--just 2 weeks later all this!!!! I've read about hiv symptoms, but never saw these being any, but Im still worried...I never had flu symptoms. I had diarrhea a few times, but not consistently. I think it was probably from my doxycycleine prescription and being hungover last time. I did however lose my appetitie, for 2 or 3 days now I think about it, but thats probably because I stopped getting ^ so suddenly. So I'm not so much worried about those symptoms I just described, but the prostate issues are killing my mind!
I havent read of anyone else having this certain set of symptoms, so its wierd being alone.
Also the different type of discharge from my penis, only during bowel movements sort of like sperm? Ejaculating alot faster during sex with my partner? UGH!!!!
My doctor told me I have nothing to worry about, but its my body, so I cant help but put myself through hell.
I thought that it could possibly the hernia or at least something along the lines of that, but the good old urologist quickly ruled a hernia out....didnt even check me for it.
Would hiv effect my body that fast or would the symptoms last this long? I've had the symptoms for almost 6 weeks.
I've also cut way Way back on smoking and drinking, and still no succeess in ridding my body of these issues.
I have to go BACK to the doctor next week for another test, I dont remember what he called it, said it was something most old guys get?
If you made it through, THANKS for reading and give me feedback, if you have any time or ideas of what could be going on with my body.

Old 07-16-2008, 04:37 PM   #14
Veteran
(male)

LALOV929 HB User

The something old guys get that you referred to is BPH (benign
prostatic hypertrophy) which means that the prostate is growing
for reasons other than cancer. I have had it for four years. Why
would your prostate suddenly start growing? Your age is certainly
not responsible.
The fact that your Uro didn't even do the one minute check of
your hernia is very disturbing. It's as if he is discounting what you
have to say and has his own opinion which so far has not been worth
much. He scoped your urethra up to and probably including your
bladder. This checks for inflammation pointing to infection possibilities
in your piping from penis to bladder...found none. He could have done
a DRE (digital rectal exam) which gives him finger contact with your
prostate and in a few minutes could have told you if you have BPH
or not. Instead he put it off til next time. Which gives you ample time
for anxiety and worry. Guess he really has your best interest in mind.
As to your symptoms possibly resulting from unprotected sex, there
are many possible STD's, but I guess he has ruled all those out along
with hernia.
Best of luck with this URO. Please keep us posted.

Old 07-16-2008, 11:38 PM   #15
(male)

varri24 HB User

Well I've got that other exam monday, so hopefully I'll find something out...I'd rather my prostate be growing than have an std....I wish more than anything that I hadn't have put myself at risk!!!!
I've been tested for ghonnerea/chlamydia both negative....my hiv test at a little over 6 weeks was negative as well. Maybe I'll go get tested for all sd's, just to make sure. Its so wierd not seeing anyone with these set of symptoms, I'm just left thinking about the worst possible outcomes Maybe I'm an alien with a new disease? lets hope not.
The uro(whom I do have to admit is very slack for a "doctor") did the finger test on my first visit, which was June 11, he said there was nothing wrong with my prostate. He's given me some crazy type of pump full of something to put up my anus the day before the next examination??? sounds fun
Thanks for taking time out to respond lavlo, you seem to be well informed on health issues.

Closed Thread