It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Men's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2008, 12:28 AM   #1
(male)

oreo19 HB User
Chronic Red Burning Scrotum

50 mg daily of the tricyclic Doxepin does not appear to work for me, unfortunately. It's been over a month and the condition is no better than Vaseline+Elidel alone. I still have another month's worth left on my prescription, so I'll keep taking the Doxepin until I run out.

Another comment: I have evidence of eczema/psoriasis in other areas... my ears and elbows appear red sometimes and burn occasionally. But the burning there always goes away after a few days of moisturizing while the scrotum pain is continuous. And unlike my ears and elbows, the scrotum gets "rough" and cracks form. There's also a ridge that appears, always in the same spot (the middle of the scrotum).

Anyone else have an update? I'll keep using Elidel and Vaseline, which at least temporarily help reduce the burning feeling (somedays better than others). I hate my skin.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:28 AM   #2
(male)

uptownnotown HB User
Re: Chronic Red Burning Scrotum

Nothings worked for me so far. Still have the burning scrotum. Not as bad as it was. Rash on face, back, chest, scalp. My mouth has lumps in it. Mouth burns. Tongue burns. No one can tell me what this is. Very depressed.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-23-2008, 04:48 PM   #3
(male)

oreo19 HB User

I came across some very new (within the last week) articles reporting good results in psoriasis treatment with a cream containing INCB18424. Also, a drug containing an anti-body called Ustekinumab (which targets proteins that may cause inflammatory disorders like eczema or psoriasis) performed well in trials also. I think that this problem is (at least partially) eczema or psoriasis so future treatments like these might be useful for some of us.

Old 09-30-2008, 07:12 PM   #4
(male)

njobgen HB User

i haven't been here in a while and i never posted but i was an avid reader every day hoping to find the cure for this. i think the big problem is that everyones symptoms although very similar arrive from something different. i knew it was a std my fiance is pregnant and they checked her for everything. so i went in to the local clinic thinking jock itch. looked and felt like it, but i had the bumps on my inner thighs too. he said staph infection from shaving the berries. so gave me antibiotics. they seemed to clear the red bumps on my legs up but my junk still itched!!! so then i thought maybe it was the hair growing back on my balls causing it. so i figured antibiotics cleared it up so i can shave again. so i did well it didn't help. still itched the same. now it was red and itchy everywhere. so i went back in to a different doctor at same clinic he did a skin test for fungal and it came back negative so he said he had no idea. great so then i turned to this website and too be honest i got even more scared after reading about peoples battles for years and years. it itched so bad i wanted to cut it off but i didn't want to waste more money on a doctor if it was something u guys have already went and tried to get treated from numerous docs. i was afraid i had the mystery jock problem. i tried everythign hydrocortisone, neosporin, every gold bond powder, gold bond ointment, dermarest ointment, zeasorb powder, tea tree oil concoction, everything. only thing that kept me sane was hydrocortisone and medicated gold bond, but putting it on every half hour was difficult with work but that what it felt like i needed unless it was numb it itched. Finally i went to dermatologist. first look he said YEAST. prescribed me Nystatin creme to use three times a day. then he scraped skin off my legs that were horribley red and rashed. right next to my scrotum, and did a skin culture on it. two days later they called and said it came back positive for yeast so the prescription was correct. i asked if i could use powder in between uses but they said no it would take away affect of creme. The reason i asked was because the creme made it almost seem worse for at least an hour after applied. so basically the first 3 to 4 days were HELL!!!! only thing i could use to help itch was Cortisone 10 intensive healing formula about an hour and half after i applied the nystatin. after those first 4 days it just kept getting better and better. i went back after a week and he gave me a refill prescription and i only used that for another 5 days twice a day and very sparingly. now i used Zeasorb AF powder every morning and night to make sure i stay dry and it has miconazole nitrate in it to fight yeast. the Derm recommended that. I didn't want to jinx myself but its been two months now and i still feel great. Especially to have my life back!!!!! so anyways not sure if this helps at all but i know its always good to have someone who actually has luck right back instead of just forget all those who are still suffering.

Old 10-05-2008, 11:29 PM   #5
(male)

oreo19 HB User

njobgen, thanks for posting and I'm glad you've found relief! I've often wondered if my problem is yeast-related. I had Diflucan (for fungal infections) twice where I used 200mg (I think...) daily for 10 days. It helped greatly both times. More recently, the doctor prescribed a much lower dose of 250mg (again, I think) weekly for 4 weeks which didn't help. Anyone know of an over-the-counter yeast products I could try (because the doctors I've seen don't think the problem is fungal/yeast related)?

Does anyone else have this problem ONLY when sitting/lying down? I hardly ever notice it when standing/walking/running, but can't ignore it otherwise. Don't know why...

Old 10-06-2008, 08:25 AM   #6
(male)

none123 HB User

I have been having this issue for 7 months now. I believe it started out as some form of jock itch but now is something else. I have the red burning scrotum that does not seem to go away. I have seen a GP and Dermatologist. I have taken various anti yeast, and anti fungal medication as well as cortizone creams. I went back to the Derm last week and she prescribed a mild cortisone cream and Elidel cream. She thinks that the skin is damaged from the prior infection and has lost its protective layer. It has been three days now and no change. I am hoping things improve but at this point I am not going to get my hopes up.

Old 10-06-2008, 04:53 PM   #7
(male)

oreo19 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by none123 View Post
I have been having this issue for 7 months now. I believe it started out as some form of jock itch but now is something else. I have the red burning scrotum that does not seem to go away. I have seen a GP and Dermatologist. I have taken various anti yeast, and anti fungal medication as well as cortizone creams. I went back to the Derm last week and she prescribed a mild cortisone cream and Elidel cream. She thinks that the skin is damaged from the prior infection and has lost its protective layer. It has been three days now and no change. I am hoping things improve but at this point I am not going to get my hopes up.
Elidel took about 3 weeks to start working for me. It was working great, but I had a flareup so now not so much. But I'm hoping the repeated flareups I've been having recently are from my skin's addiction to the overuse of steroid creams (which I've since stopped). Basically, keep using the Elidel.

Old 10-07-2008, 08:14 AM   #8
(male)

none123 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by oreo19 View Post
Elidel took about 3 weeks to start working for me. It was working great, but I had a flareup so now not so much. But I'm hoping the repeated flareups I've been having recently are from my skin's addiction to the overuse of steroid creams (which I've since stopped). Basically, keep using the Elidel.
Yeah the derm told me it takes a bit for it to start working. She gave me some steroid cream in the meantime but sounds like it might be better not to use it.

Old 10-08-2008, 04:29 PM   #9
(male)

oreo19 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by none123 View Post
She gave me some steroid cream in the meantime but sounds like it might be better not to use it.
I wouldn't recommend them as a long-term solution. I used the steroid creams for about 2 years total but I couldn't ever stop using them because my skin would flare up really badly whenever I tried. Unfortunately, the creams rubbed onto my legs and thinned them, so now I have a bunch of purple marks on the inside of my legs. It also got to be very painful to walk and I got painful large bumps on my legs that were full of blood. Fortunately, my legs seem to very slowly be getting better after stopping the steroids (which eventually quit working).

Elidel seems to have stopped working for me, and Doxepin never did. This problem is very miserable and I'm out of ideas.

Old 10-09-2008, 06:59 AM   #10
(male)

none123 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by oreo19 View Post
I wouldn't recommend them as a long-term solution. I used the steroid creams for about 2 years total but I couldn't ever stop using them because my skin would flare up really badly whenever I tried. Unfortunately, the creams rubbed onto my legs and thinned them, so now I have a bunch of purple marks on the inside of my legs. It also got to be very painful to walk and I got painful large bumps on my legs that were full of blood. Fortunately, my legs seem to very slowly be getting better after stopping the steroids (which eventually quit working).

Elidel seems to have stopped working for me, and Doxepin never did. This problem is very miserable and I'm out of ideas.
The Elidel still isn't doing much for me but I am hoping I just need more time. I also think this may be some type of contact dermatitis since the symptoms seem to fit. I am not sure what would be causing it but I am gonna just start using cetaphil soap and avoid using anything other that free and clear detergent when I wash my clothes. If none of this helps then next time I go to the dermatologist I am gonna ask for a biopsy of my skin. No point in just guessing at different treatments.

Old 10-13-2008, 11:09 AM   #11
(male)

bb1113 HB User

To uptown: You are one of the only posts that mention mouth and tongue burning, but I have that, too. I used to come and read more often on this site, but everyone seemed to always have their own cases but never any solid remedies. When your sctotum burns, along with the perianal floor area, that is bad enough, but add your tongue/mouth to the list, and everyday becomes a living HELL!!

Old 10-14-2008, 10:29 AM   #12
(male)

uptownnotown HB User

bb1113- maybe we have the same thing. My tounge has a white coating on it too that never goes away. The whole mouth thing only started about 4 months ago for me and seems to be getting worse.

Here's a run down of what I'm dealing with now. Let me know if it's the same for you.

Scrotum/penis- mild burning, moist, itchy sometimes, crawling sensations sometimess. tingling sometimes. Thinned skin.

Chest/back- lots of zit like bumps. red in color and they sometimes get better looking for a few days, but never go away. Chest oily

Forehead- more zits. flesh colored for the most part. very very very oily

scalp- more bumps. dry and crusty.

mouth- lots of tiny bumps on palate. big lumps on bottom of mouth. painful bumps under tounge. Burning and numbness. White/yellowish film on tounge that I brush off, but comes back everyday.

Left leg- numbness down part of my leg

everyday is hell. I wake up dissapointed every morning. Let me know all of your symptoms. Maybe we can narrow things down together if we do have the same thing. How'd you get this? What meds/creams etc have you tried?

Below's what I've tried thus far:

Creams/topicals:

lotrimin
lamisil
steriod cream
zeasorb
Sarna
hydrocortisone
Desonide
Topicort
Pramosone
Doxepin Hydrochloride
Metronidazole cream
Laser treatment
Aloe
gold bond
corn starch
tea tree oil mixture
Neem soap

Drugs:

Ketoconazole
cephalexin
Gabapentin
Doxycycline
Valtrex
azithromycin
Metronidazole pills
flagyl
bactrim ds

Doctor's i've seen: Primary care (many times), 7 different dermatologists, 4 urologists, 1 infectious disease.

Of course nothing I've tried has solved this problem. The only thing that kind of helped was the laser treatment, but that just made the burning more tolerable. But the infection's still there.

This was sexually transmitted, I'm sure. going on over a year now. Started out mild. Then got worse. Then got more symptoms later on. Ie- chest, scap, mouth etc.

bb1113- please let me know your symptoms, what you've tried, who you've seen. how you got this. thanks. Maybe we can figure this out somehow.

Last edited by uptownnotown; 10-14-2008 at 10:55 AM.

Old 10-15-2008, 11:00 AM   #13
(male)

bb1113 HB User

uptown - I haven't had all the instances/situations you have had. Nothing with chest, scalp, legs, or penis, for that matter. Mine is scrotum and mouth, only at this point.

Like you, I have tried basically everything you have (my list is definitely a subset of yours) and I've also seen GP, derm & urologists, who have given me NOTHING!! I even had my dentist look at my tongue and he said there was nothing there that was foreign to my mouth. The derm says it is yeast on the scrotum and whereas I haven't tried the tea oil application, I've taken garlic, olice leaf extract and acidophilus, but it is still present. I'm going back to the derm in a couple of weeks and to my GP in the next month.

I've been tested for HIV 3 times, and other STDs twice (RPR, HSV1 & 2, Syph, Gon) and everything has been negative and non-reactive everytime, so I wonder if it is sexually transmitted. . . . .I sure as hell hope not.

Nothing really helps. . . . .only time I don't notice it is when I get to sleep!

Old 10-16-2008, 08:17 AM   #14
(male)

uptownnotown HB User

bb113-did you get this after a sexual encounter? If it's yeast then a doctor can give you pills for that.

Old 10-16-2008, 04:27 PM   #15
(male)

kadem HB User

GOOD NEWS: TREATED SUCCESSFULLY AS FRICTION BURNS AND HEAT ALLERGY

I was going to start a new thread to make sure my 'cure' doesn't get lost among the 90 or so pages and five threads of frustration and gloom - but as there's already a positive post on here, I'll add my recent experience.

I had this syndrome with only some temporary relief for about 6 months. I read these boards and it was frightening. And then one good conversation with a thoughtful, progressive doctor sorted everything out.

My problem started with a trimming incident - I nicked my scrotum in a couple of places and a few days later I woke up after a night of sex with the whole area - scrotum and penis bright red, burning and itching.

My first visit to the doctor, after reading these boards, resulted in her suspecting a staph infection, prescribing antibiotics and sending me to an STD clinic.

My symptoms more or less remained - the redness on the penis reduced to few patches on the underside but by the time I went to the clinic all was left was a red scrotum ... and what do you know? The morning of the appointment it had (temporarily) gone, they could see nothing wrong but prescribed an anti-fungal and mild steroid cream (tests all negative).

Most days the scrotum remained hot and itchy and I had the feeling of hot sand being sprinkled on my penis, The skin seemed thinner and the foreskin a little tighter.

After a few months following advice from here, using Lanacane powder etc and keeping the complaint minimised without getting rid of it, I went back for a long chat with my young doctor.

She differentiated between the redness on the penis and scrotum, speculating that as the redness on the scrotum could come and go quickly it was primarily a way for the area to lose heat. More blood fills the veins near the surface to cool it.

The redness on the penis may be partly physical friction burns and partly an allergic reaction to heat. She prescribed anti-histamine tablets, suggested using a powerful re-moisturiser and using body lotion instead of soap in the bath/shower.

I got some Eucerin - 'Intensive 10% w/w Urea Treatment Lotion' and used this in the mornings after a moisturising bath ... and haven't suffered since.

One thing I didn't notice at the time is that I see my girlfriend twice a week (we're both single parents - I'm 49, she's 45) - midweek during the day and Saturday nights. After the weekend I would be left with a red sore ring around my foreskin and extra red scrotum - but not so much after our midweek daytime sessions.

I carefully addressed this sensitive issue with my partner. Often we don't get in till late on Sunday morning after partying till late - with the tiredness and the drinking etc we weren't noticing that maybe we should be using some lubrication like KY jelly - at night and again in the morning. During the week it's obviously not necessary as we take our time. She obviously felt bad about this (as an age issue) but credit to her, she recognised the problem ("just warm it up in your hands first!").

Many of the posts on this syndrome have started with something like "I had casual sex with someone" - with the fear that it's an STD. I'd say that it was more likely the lady wasn't fully juiced up, resulting in a friction burn with a possible allergic reaction. The scrotum then reddens to help the area lose heat.

Others have said that tight cotton briefs and corn powder give greater relief than loose boxers - I'd say that that reduces friction and involves less rubbing/aggravation in the area but will in other ways not address the problem of over-heating

It seems that as we get older it's possible to lose moisture in the area which doesn't replenish easily. Many report that the area is moist - but that's a different kind of moisture - sweat; which is another way that the body can lose heat, but it's primarily water and the saltiness will dry the skin of necessary oils even more.

Another aspect of this goes back to when it started for me (and others that have posted) - with trimming. The nicks in the skin probably weren't significant. What is pubic hair for? As I understand it, it's to reduce friction (like under the arms). Shorter hair - with the sharp tips you get after trimming (I also often trim my girlfriend at the same time) - coupled with lack of full vaginal lubrication, is going to result in more friction and more heat and potentially kick off a greater allergic reaction.

Well, that's all I got for now ... BUT IT'S WORKED FOR ME

Last edited by kadem; 10-31-2008 at 06:05 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to kadem For This Useful Post:
Chazy97 (05-02-2012)
Closed Thread