It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Men's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2008, 05:01 PM   #1
(male)

TomTom21 HB User
Itchy Irritable White Skin

Hey guys I have had this for about 4-5 years now and I don't have any health insurance so I have never been to a doctor for it but just found these boards. Basically what happened is I was having terrible itching near my groin area. It eventually turned part of the skin white, this continued and it continued to itch. Eventually this spread all across my groin about 3 inches across. Now it continues to itch and the skin it what I mention above white. I am going to be getting health insurance soon. I was just wondering if anyone can help with this.

Last edited by moderator2; 12-20-2008 at 06:00 PM. Reason: please do not post pictures for any reason - as per the posting policy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-20-2008, 05:59 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lindaru HB User
Re: Itchy Irritable White Skin

Hi, TomTom . . . if you tend to sweat down there a lot, it can cause a fungal infection such as athlete foot only in that area instead. I have had that under my bra and in that area as well in the past. It was recommended to me to make sure to put talcum or baby powder on after bathing or showering to dry the area out and keep the fungus away.

You can also tell your pharmacist what is going on and they can probably recommend an over the counter cream you can use until you can get in to see a doctor.

Hope this helps!

Lindaru

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-21-2008, 09:14 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

tommy124 HB Usertommy124 HB Usertommy124 HB Usertommy124 HB Usertommy124 HB User

I would get checked out by a dermatologist. It could be BXO.

Old 12-21-2008, 10:59 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

TopGeek HB UserTopGeek HB UserTopGeek HB UserTopGeek HB User

It is very likely to be a tinea yeast infection especially if you also have itchy toes. It is easily transferred to the groin area by your feet touching that part of your shorts or briefs as you put them on. If that makes sense, you only need to apply an athlete's foot cream and powder from a pharmacy counter and apply it as recommended. It should clear up within a couple of days but you need to continue treatment for at least 7 days to make sure all the yeast has gone. Treat your feet at the same time.

Old 12-22-2008, 11:40 AM   #5
(male)

TomTom21 HB User

I sense a little confusion when I say white skin, it is as if the pigment in my skin is gone. The white skin is itchy.

Old 12-22-2008, 12:03 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

It still sounds like a fungal condition. Athlete's foot is sometimes known as ringworm because, on larger areas, it creates a circular patch of skin that itches. There is no worm involved and the itchy patch is lighter in colour than the surrounding skin.

Old 12-23-2008, 10:55 PM   #7
(male)

TomTom21 HB User

hey i bought some cortisone cream ill try that see how it works.

Old 12-24-2008, 02:47 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Sorry to disagree but cortisone cream is not a good idea without a dermatological analysis. It should only be used to control a recurrent and incurable skin condition. Cortisone can mask some skin conditions and even make others worse. It also has a tendency to thin the skin with long-term use. It may temporarily relieve the itching but you really need to find out the cause of the problem.
A dermatologist would take a scrape of the affected area to determine the nature of the condition and could then prescribe an appropriate treatment.

Old 12-24-2008, 11:00 PM   #9
(male)

TomTom21 HB User

o ok what would you recommend? I can't get in to see a doctor right now and I really would like to get rid of this issue. Any help would be great as to what to try out.

Old 12-30-2008, 03:34 PM   #10
(male)

TomTom21 HB User

can someone tell me something over the counter to try out?

Old 12-31-2008, 07:57 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

Any anti-fungal cream for athletes foot (medical name is tinea pedis), sometimes also accompanied by a medicated powder. There is also a capsule that you can take to repel most types of fungal infection systemically. In Europe it is called Diflucan (medical name is fluconazole) and it is available without prescription. Ask at your pharmacy and they will tell you the way to combine these medications.

Last edited by TopGeek; 12-31-2008 at 08:01 AM.

Old 12-31-2008, 12:59 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

tommy124 HB Usertommy124 HB Usertommy124 HB Usertommy124 HB Usertommy124 HB User

You really need to see a doctor, and not self-treat, on this one.
Whiteness can be a sign of something harmless, like vitiligo, or it can be a sign of something much more serious, such as BXO. You owe it to your health, to find out.

Old 01-01-2009, 06:22 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

As suggested earlier in this thread!
There is such a wide range of skin conditions that you really should try to see a dermatologist to determine the true nature of the problem.

Closed Thread