It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Men's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2008, 01:40 PM   #1
(male)

greenie911 HB User
Chronic red burning scrotum

Ok I'm trying to get this party started again with a new thread..here goes

Old 12-29-2008, 01:53 PM   #2
(male)

greenie911 HB User
Re: Chronic red burning scrotum

Yes! It worked.

Another update- maybe make someone's new year that slight bit better.

Currentide- I will try the garlic recipe you suggested once the itch gets bad again.

So far I'm on a winner- and I say that reluctantly - because we all know how things seem to work for a while and just when you think you've beaten it...

So I'm trying 3 emollients and in a different combination. What I didnt realise before is that using too much emollient or applying it for too long is detrimental to the cause. Here's my current regime.

1. Apply Neutrogena unscented concentrated hand cream sparingly to the scrotum. Seriously just a small amount. Then add 'Bio-Oil'. Leave it on for 4 hours tops or it will start to burn for some reason. Then wash it off with soap and water. Dry thoroughly, you may need to do this twice to get all of it off because a residual amount is left on.

2. Leave your scrotum without any emollients-let the skin breathe for about 10 hours. At the start you wont be able to manage this- never mind- just apply some creamy emollient as a holding measure but then go on to the next step later.

3. Apply vaseline and then scratch. Yeah lightly though. Remove the surface layer very gently, I think this layer stops hair follicles from developing, or the developing hairs start growing inwardly and cause *****ling and itch.

4. Leave for 6-7 hours or overnight. Shower in the morning and wash off with soap then go to step 2 again and repeat.

5. If the scrotum gets bad, go back to step 1.

It's working for me right now. If this stops working, I'll try garlic oil next. Good luck and wish you well for the new year.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-06-2009, 02:32 PM   #3
(male)

uptownnotown HB User

great balls of fire - any updates? I'm still in the same boat. My mouth kind of looks like hairy oral leukoplakia now.

Old 01-07-2009, 08:32 PM   #4
(male)

bobseattle HB User

Hello to all, I guess I am the newest member to be effected with this curse! Like everyone else I have been to a GP, Derma, and Urologist and have been told it is just a rash. I have tried all the creams and oral anti-biotics and nothing is working. My doctors have told me the same thing that I have read here, "that it is in my head", "it is stress related" etc.
Here is what I think. I do believe it is some type of Yeast infection. I have been researching the yeast called Candida and I think that is the yeast that has infected us. So I am going to try some natural remedies next week and I will let you know the names and the results.
Hang in there everyone!

Old 01-07-2009, 11:16 PM   #5
(male)

oreo19 HB User

I finished my 6 weeks of Diflucan (150mg every 72 hours) a few weeks ago. I have also reduced my sugar intake since Thanksgiving. I cut out sugary fruit drinks and reduced my sugary snack consumption considerably (and lost 15 pounds in the meantime!). I've had 3 flare-ups where the burning and discomfort in my scrotum was pretty bad, but each one only lasted about 2-3 days. The rest of the time it has been bearable with Vaseline and Elidel. I'm going to try dropping the Elidel when I run out and see if I can just use Vaseline.

3 flare-ups may sound bad, and I'd agree, but it's far better than the chronic scrotum burning I've been experiencing for much of the last 10 months (with only a few breaks in between). I'm going to continue with the reduced sugar diet, because at the very least it hasn't been making things worse. I still think I have some sort of very resilient yeast infection.

Old 01-08-2009, 04:38 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

drs HB Userdrs HB Userdrs HB Userdrs HB User

Hasn't anyone tried the yeast infection cream that women use for a topical treatment. You can use it along with the diflucan. At least it would help the rash part. Might want to try it, look in the womens section by the tampax.

Old 01-08-2009, 11:04 AM   #7
(male)

uptownnotown HB User

I've tried both the anti yeast creams and pills. It didn't help.

Old 01-08-2009, 07:48 PM   #8
(male)

greatballsofire HB User

I ended up not getting the circumcision because my upper respiratory symptoms got worse, which interferes with anesthesia, and because my balanitis symptoms flared up as well. Unlike some others, my condition definitely results in visible erosions, papules, and weeping lesions, particularly under the foreskin. These sort of surface from beneath the skin, and look a lot like herpes, though so far herpes tests are negative. I also have a buildup of yellowish green slime under the foreskin right now, just like my initial symptoms 4 months ago. This disease is like the undead - it cannot be killed. I'm seeing university experts now. They were quite shocked by the severity of my symptoms, especially when I told them I got this from unprotected oral sex. I'm expecting to become a case study and end up in a medical paper at this point. Their first guess is Reiter's Syndrome (look it up) and I'm getting tested for the HLA-B27 gene which is associated with Reiter's reaction to chlamydia (or other bacteria) infection. So far my genital chlamydia tests are negative, but no one has tested for oral chlamydia. I'm a bit skeptical about Reiter's.

My other prime suspect is a super yeast infection or combo intracellular yeast/bacteria infection that has gotten rotted deep in the tissue. Do a search on Dr. Crandall and you may find some info on chronic yeast infections. These types of infections are not recognized by most MDs; in fact some of them do not believe in anything but the usual superficial yeast infections. Severe yeast infections will not clear up from normal diflucan treatments, especially if you have a resistant type of yeast. You need to be tested for the exact organisms, and then once identified those organisms must be tested for susceptibility to various antifungal drugs. If you've tried normal yeast/fungus treatments in the past, be very careful because you can make the infection more resistant unless you use the right drugs or combination of drugs. Many of these drugs are pretty hard on the liver, and you should never use them until a lab has proven that your yeast is susceptible to them. I recommend seeing an osteopath as well and doing a search for fungal laboratories. Most MDs will not help you with this, unfortunately. There is one such lab in San Antonio, TX and another in Asheville, NC.

Good luck. I am now in my 5th month of suffering.

Old 01-09-2009, 08:16 AM   #9
(male)

NYGUY79 HB User

Hey all, I to have be living with this horrible "syndrome" I believe it all started this past October 2008 with a case of jock itch, which I still do not know how I contracted it. My girlfriend of the past 9 years has had no symptoms or health problems; she even went to her yearly gynecologist appointment with no issues (it took me almost a month to talk to her about it, I felt so ashamed, but she was so supportive which was a huge relief in itself!). I went to my regular doctor who gave me a prescription for the jock itch and it cleared it up within a few days and as per the instructions continued the medication for a full two weeks. After using the prescription I did notice that my scrotum was redder then I remembered, but thought it was probably related to using the prescription. The redness went away but almost a month to the day of seeing my general doctor for the jock itch I began feeling an extreme hotness, wetness, and pain in my scrotum. Between mid November and mid December I had been to the ER twice, my general doctors office three times, a dermatologist twice, and an urologist. Long story short nothing they prescribed me worked (anti fungal creams, anti fungal pills, hydrocortisone creams, etc) the urologist and dermatologist said they didn't see anything wrong and that it was in my head, but my general doctor and the two ER doctors both saw the redness and my discomfort. My general doc said he was stumped and couldn't figure anything out; the ER docs had an ultrasound done on my scrotum and found nothing (which I guess is a good and disappointing at the same time). The entire time I felt more and more depressed. Then I tried doing nothing and it seemed to work over the Christmas/ New Years Holiday, I figured every cream I put down there was probably making it worse or at least more inflamed. Everything seemed to be getting better, no itch, very light pink skin color as compared to the dark red that I was experiencing, and no heat.... Until a week ago when I started getting itchy and the redness came back (no wetness though). I have started the tree oil, lavender oil, oregano oil treatment two days ago and the itch has gone away but the redness goes from dark to light colored and the heat goes and comes as well. I am at my wits end and I am starting to think that it may be partially related to stress. When I lie down and wake up in the morning there seems to be no symptoms but as the day progresses the heat feeling and redness come and go. I am totally baffled and have been reading and researching almost non stop and all that I can come up with is when I am working and can not focus on it I seem to feel better, but as soon as I sit and have some free time I start to feel the heat again which in turn brings on the redness. The area that stills heats up and is red is the same exact location of the jock itch. I have read this online study from [url]http://www.informaworld.com/smpp/content~content=a793240010~db=all[/url] and it stated that Doxycycline has seemed to work. In the mean time I am going to give that herbal concoction about a week or so to see if it changes anything, otherwise I guess it is back to my general doctor and beg for a prescription of the Doxycycline. This has totally changed my life and after reading some people stating they have suffered for months or even years does not give me much hope... Sorry for the long post but I am new to this and just wanted to share my experience and hope that all of us with this came share our stories and hopefully come up with a solution.

Old 01-09-2009, 11:52 AM   #10
(male)

greenie911 HB User

Ok I'm on the garlic lol.

Just so I remember-i've applied it to the right side of my scrotum only.
Yeah and it burned a bit too! Applied vaseline though aaah.

Will let you know

Old 01-17-2009, 12:11 AM   #11
(male)

greatballsofire HB User

So far fungal/yeast cultures are negative, but one culture came back with loads of coagulase-negative staph that is resistant to doxycycline, etc. These cultures are from the foreskin/glans infection, NOT the scrotum. I don't know what specific species of staph it is, though as I understand it the majority of specimens of coagulase-negative staph are staphylococcus epidermidis, which I think is the kind that almost everyone has on their skin. I have read that there are some coagulase-negative staphylococcus aureus too though. Anyway, I'm on sulfameth/trimethoprim, clindamycin, and topical bactroban which have shown to be effective by susceptibility testing, and so far the foreskin/glans infection is greatly improved, though the skin still looks redder than normal.

I'm not sure the scrotum problem is just a staph infection, but it could be I guess. I thought it was improving with the new antibiotics, but you guys know how this ****ing disease relapses. The scrotum just gets hot, sweaty, and baggy and before you know it begins to itch around the edges of the plague rash. So I have a theory...it's really nearly impossible to eliminate all candida/staph from the skin especially if you acquired resistant strains. What if this is a vicious cycle? The infection causes the scrotum to get hot and sweaty, and the heat and sweat cause the infection to get worse? Seems like the kind of behavior that would explain why this problem is nigh impossible to eliminate, and why treatments never work long term. Again, any amount of heat/sweat will promote infection (pathogens exist even on healthy skin) especially on the damaged, raw skin down there. I think the scrotum is really just an area that develops this awful cycle by the nature of the skin and the body's ability to sweat and heat up so much down there. Anybody who gets a nasty infection (from sex, environment, etc.) gets into this hypersensitivity cycle. Who knows how many different bacterial or fungal strains any of us are really fighting. Like I said, some of them could even be natural flora once the cycle gets going. This would also explain why pathogens are rarely found during tests. So, in addition to the daily antifungal/antibacterial topical cream applications, I'm going to start icing my package regularly and cleaning with a type of soap that is used by athlete's to prevent staph/fungus. I'm hoping by doing this I can eventually break the cycle. Someone mentioned having some luck with Kenacomb cream, which is a combo antibacterial/antifungal. I think it's key to attack both at the same time.

Good luck, and if you find a way out of this hell please let everyone know.

The Following User Says Thank You to greatballsofire For This Useful Post:
wanttruth (04-28-2012)
Old 01-18-2009, 12:28 PM   #12
(male)

greenie911 HB User

Ok I must have sensitive skin or something because the garlic nearly burned my balls off on both sides. I think it caused some sort of chemical burn so the skin became quite firm and inelastic and slightly pigmented.

I started massaging it gently with vaseline and sheets of skin came off. THen my scrotum was back to where it was 3 months ago.

So I tried the 3 emollient method described earlier in this thread- and wow-what a relief. But I used a really really small amount of neutrogena- 4x 2mm threads of gel. THis stuff is amazing- it's effect is instant- such a relief. I completely forget about this itch when I use it.

I have found a combo that works for me- that doesnt mean it will work for everyone but i would strongly advocate this triple therapy. Garlic doesnt work for me- but it might work for you- but use it sparingly first.

Old 01-18-2009, 05:18 PM   #13
(male)

greatballsofire HB User
Unhappy Re: Chronic red burning scrotum

Yes, I have the hypersensitivity as well. Anything that would not affect normal skin will burn to the point of hitting the ceiling, and also the skin will then shed. I have noticed chemical reactions with spray can anti-fungals, where the medication cracks and pops loudly from the reaction with the skin. Pretty amazing for "contact dermatitis."

I'm going to describe all my symptoms again in detail for what it's worth:

Chronic extremely sensitive swollen, red, shiny, sweaty skin on both sides of scrotum in a nearly symmetrical pattern with clearly defined perfectly straight borders along the center axis. The borders coincide exactly with the "hemispheres" of the scrotum (the wrinkliest skin). Associated with this is a deep burning, firey itch both under and on top of the skin especially noticeable when exposed to warm water or warm/hot air. The itch is the kind that feels like it should be scratched from the inside, and results in frequent "biting" sensations during the day and night that are severe enough to disrupt sleep. Heat and moisture cause the symptoms to worsen, but they do not go away, nor do any areas that have been "infected" ever clear and return to normal.

Observations:

The syndrome began and/or worsened while on antibiotics for what is now chronic balanitis/mild phimosis caused by multi-drug resistant coagulase-negative staph and likely yeast as well. Since then, further treatment with antibiotics seems to either have no effect or even worsen the condition. It was not caused by steroid use.

The surface level infection responds to gentian violet, which sticks to the infected areas (worst in the skin folds) and ultimately causes the skin to peel off leaving some eroded areas beneath. Additionally, the infected skin has been observed to react harshly with topical propellant-based anti-fungals, like lamisil spray. The contact of the spray with the skin creates a loud bubbling and popping/cracking sound, as you would encounter with a fungal infection. None of the topical antifungals provide any permanent resolution, presumably because they do not reach the deep tissue. Applying standard rubbing alcohol to the skin results in intolerable, excruciating burning pain. The circumstances under which it was acquired, the lab-proven coinfection of the penis and foreskin, and the chemical reactions lead me to believe that this is an infection, and not a neurological disorder. However, the infection has not responded to normal treatments, particularly topical creams, because I do not believe they reach the deep tissue in significant concentration.

The symptoms seem to subside occasionally (the skin never looks or feels normal) but then return with full force mainly because of heat and moisture, almost as you would expect with deeply rooted plants growing.

Extremely mild scratching (and normally I don't scratch, I pinch the skin and massage it to relieve the deep tissue itch) results in peeling off of the surface skin as you would expect with a heat allergy.

The infection seems most active at its borders, and continues to spread up the underside of the penis, to the left and right sides of the scrotum, and toward the perineum. There is also red itchy skin on the inner thighs.

Keeping the area cool and dry does not provide a long term solution. Even applying only talc, abstaining from washing with soap and using medications just encourages the spread.

Oral and other symptoms:

Inside and outside of lips peeling and splitting with disproportionate pain.

Lips swollen, burning, and red.

Chronic gingivitis observed by me and dental hygenist that is not erradicated by brushing or mouthwashes. The gingivitis is worst on the portions of the gums most frequently contacted by the tip of the tongue, ie. the back of the anterior upper and lower teeth. Permanent gum recession has been observed.

Symptoms reduced following teeth cleaning and use of mouthwash several times a day, but the malignant bacteria are very difficult to eliminate and symptoms always recur.

Areas resembling denture stomatitis on hard palate and gums particularly where in close contact with retainers, cheeks, or lips. This suggests proliferation of the bacteria in areas of close contact.

Dry, burning mouth

Swollen red taste buds and recurring white/yellow buildup on tongue despite brushing and mouthwash use.

Burning throat, larynx, and sinuses that feel like they are covered in a biofilm (feel infected). Frequent thick white, clear, yellow, or green mucus. Frequent nasal clearing and throat clearing.

Feeling of malaise, unwellness, skin is dry and turns red very easily.

So, there's what I've been dealing with for 4 and a half months. The docs always suspect non-infectious causes, so they've never seen anything like this. So, I've discovered at least two new chronic diseases (since I am pretty sure the oral and genital symptoms are different in cause) that you can get from contact with saliva. That's pretty f'ing impressive. Tommy Jones, Uptownnotown, myself, and lots of others are all suffering from these types of symptoms that the contracted. Negative for all known STD's.

I don't know how much of a life I have left at this point.

Last edited by greatballsofire; 01-18-2009 at 05:24 PM. Reason: typos

Old 01-23-2009, 03:09 AM   #14
(male)

rugbyfan HB User

Hey all. Just to update you all on this side. I still have the itch and only so mildly, but the redness is gone.

I spoke in an earlier thread about researching candida/yeast infection because I belive this is what is the cause affecting most of us, and now we have to find a cure. I also went to Derms, GP's had skin scrapes and a biopsy and all came back negative. I have now been following a diet closely related to what all the websites say about treating a yeast infection.

My regimen is as follows:
Have been taking Lamisil as prescribed by my GP,since Dec orally and then using Lamisil topical cream for the outside with limited success for the last 4 weeks. I alternate with the herbal treatment every other night, and use the cream in the mornings. (Lamisil is prescribed for Jock itch, and also candida/yeast infections). I also wash daily with a neutral soap called Epizone given to me by a derm. All over and in the crotch area.

I then decided to follow a candida diet closely, which in simple terms is to cut out all carbs, sugars, and most dairy products. For all of you out there this is the hardest thing you will ever have to do. It means no bread,no pastries, no hamburgers or pizza even(they of course have bread/flour)no pasta, no rice,no potatoes and the list goes on. Also certain fruits are banned as they contain sugars. No tea or coffee, only drink herbal teas. You may eat white cheese, like mozarella and certain feta. For breakfast I eat only plain natural yoghurt with probiotic cultures, and not the sweetened type or eat eggs. (lots of them,). Thats it. Lunch is usually a salad of some sort. Dinner is meat/chicken/fish grilled (no batter or sauces, they contain starch/sugars) and some steamed veges.

All the above has most definitely contributed to the symptoms calming down to such a degree, that if I do cheat (drink a coke or eat some pizza), then i feel the effect the next few days, in that the itch flares up again, and I have to start all over again. I am now strict on myself, and have my life back to such an extent, that I can sleep at night (no itch wakes me) , and i can sit for lengthy periods without too much discomfort, before the itch comes.
The benefit of all of this, is, firstly, itch almost gone, or symptoms calmed down, and also weight loss (lost 12kgs to date in the process, as I am or was overweight ).

The normal GP's you ask about candida etc will noramlly give you a once off dose of anti-biotics, but as we all know this does not work. The alternative medicine specialists have better knowledge as they seem to treat the cause and not the symptoms. Treatment of candida is long term and not a quick fix of 2 weeks medicine. There are endless forums on this, and it will take many hourse of reading so prepare for this.

This has worked for me so far and I would sugget you all look into the candida/yeast as a possible cause, and try for yourself if this has any effect. It can only do you good health wise anyway

I am now 1 month into my diet/regimen, (it was tough over Xmas, so yeah I did cheat a little, who would not), and so far it seems to be working. I will stick with it for as long as possible and give you all feedback in a month again.

Let me know if this works out for any of you.

Good luck

Old 01-24-2009, 04:01 PM   #15
(male)

Larry0001 HB User

Hey gang, I've been working my way through a box of Zantac because my stomach was bothering me and I noticed that the skin is clearing up. I could just be in the good part of the cycle, however I had a large Cherry Coke yesterday and it didn't wreak total havoc on me like it usually does.

Could this disorder be an outward manifestation of digestive tract/acid/enzyme problems? The sugar issue and the burning while sitting stuff was always puzzling.

I know how easy it is to quit if results aren't immediate, but give this regiment a shot for 2 weeks and report back:
--Mild soap
--Blow-drying the area after a shower
--Goldbond Yellow
--Zantac (as directed)
--Water, Tea, or Coffee (stay away from sodas, excessive sugar, and alcohol)

Closed Thread