It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Men's Health Message Board

how to use a flatiron

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-11-2003, 09:02 PM   #1
RealWorlder

RealWorlder HB User
Post how to use a flatiron

IM trying to make my hair look like Ryan Seacrest's hair from American Idol; he uses a flatiron, anybody know how to use a flatiron and how to get it cut??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2003, 07:04 AM   #2
jamie17
(male)

jamie17 HB User
You should check out one of the other boards --- like the one for hair or cosmetics --- because there will be alot more tips there. But, basically: a flat iron is like a curling iron except that it has two flat, wide, plate-like surfaces instead of a round barrel surface. The plates heat up and you put small sections of hair in between the blades, squeeze the blades shut and the heat from the blades flattens and straightens your hair. This is usually done for people who have long wavy/curly hair, and want it straight and smooth. Usually you start out by putting some kind of product in the hair to smooth & de-frizz it and to protect it against heat styling. Then you blow it dry as
straight and smooth as you can get it. Then, to finish, you flat iron it: a section of the long hair would be pulled through the iron, from scalp to ends, until it is straight, then another section, and another, and so on, until all the hair on the head is straight. It could be done for someone who has hair as short as Ryan Seacrest's, but it would be harder because (a) the hair is so short and (b)the flat iron is usually too big --- but you could get a smaller flat iron. You would basically do it the same way, small little bits by bit. It would be alot easier to get someone to do it for you, especially in the back. Caution: this will fry your hair in no time, so go slow and be careful. If your hair starts to smoke, you are leaving it in the iron too long! Also, this isn't such a good idea to do everyday, as your hair will become really damaged, but I suppose if your hair is really short you can just get all the damage cut off at your next haircut.
I would think that most people (unless your hair is very curly) could probably achieve the same look by getting their hair cut like Seacrest's, towel drying it or blow drying it, then using some kind of molding mud or paste to mess it all up & get it sticking up in places. (Even if you flat iron it, you'll still have to use a paste afterward and mess it up to get that tousled look, anyway.)If your hair is very curly, then yeah, I guess you would have to straighten it first. As you have probably figured out, this is not going to be a five-minutes-and-you-are-out-the-door process!

As far as the cut is concerned, I'm sure every hairstylist in America knows what Seacrest's hair looks like, so all you have to do is say that's what you want --- or take a picture with you --- but it is really nothing more than a men's basic short layered haircut, a little longer on top & in front and shorter in the back & sides. Tell them you want it really piece-y/choppy and unconstructed.

Hope all that helps. Don't forget to check some of the women's boards for more tips.

Old 08-12-2003, 09:28 PM   #3
RealWorlder

RealWorlder HB User
THANK YOU SOO MUCH FOR HAVING TAKING UR TIME!! UR A SWEETHEART

Closed Thread