It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Men's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2003, 12:22 PM   #1
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: England
Posts: 2
JohnHJK HB User
Post Sore penis and "cracked" skin on penis head

I've had this for as long as I remember but am deciding to write about it now. Directly under the rim of my penis head, the skin is bumpy and rough, and the skin on the head of my penis is "cracked". I don't mean cracked as in the skin is cracked, but it's kinda wrinkled and I get little feeling when I touch it. I'm too young to go to the doctors on my own. can anyone help me out?

Sponsors Lightbulb
Old 08-15-2003, 12:18 PM   #2
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 781
focus HB User

Assuming you're circumcised (and it sounds like you are), what you described is normal. I'm cut and have the same thing. Here's the reason it is the way it is:

Directly under the rim of my penis head, the skin is bumpy and rough,
This area of the penis in a circumcised one is actually a portion of your inner foreskin. Normally in an intact (uncut) foreskin, this skin would be folded over and covering the head. The inner foreskin is similar to the inside of your cheek - its kind of a pinkish color, and it is designed to always be moist, and to keep the head moist. When you're circumcised, this inner foreskin is stitched to the rest of the shaft skin, and is thus permanently exposed to the air. As a result it dries out, becomes more rough, and forms cracks or wrinkles, which is called keratinized.

and the skin on the head of my penis is "cracked".
Again, like the inner foreskin, the head was never designed to be exposed to the air and clothing all the time. It is supposed to be covered by the moist inner foreskin. When moist and covered by the foreskin, the head would normally be smooth. Circumcision of course keeps the head exposed to the air and clothing, and it does the same thing: it dries out, becomes rough, and forms ridges or cracks in the skin. Keratinized. Some sensitivity is lost through the keratinization process as well.

So, you're perfectly normal for a circumcised guy - no need to see a doctor.

Sponsors Lightbulb
Old 08-17-2003, 08:13 AM   #3
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: England
Posts: 2
JohnHJK HB User

Actually, I'm from England and am uncircumsized.
Although my foreskin does cover all of my penis head (I don't know if this is normal or not)

Old 04-27-2004, 02:07 PM   #4
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 3
johnmayor112 HB User
Re: Sore penis and "cracked" skin on penis head

I am Circumsized and I have many cracks on my penis and its very dry.. I dun want that.. is there any cure ?... Any care I have to take ??

Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
sore head of penis stevei Men's Health 2 02-10-2010 04:57 PM
Red sore penis head when erect ukrob Sexual Health - Men 2 05-27-2009 01:00 AM
Penis and crotch problem josh000 Men's Health 2 01-21-2009 12:45 PM
Cracking Penis Head EmpireSB Sexual Health - Men 2 08-04-2005 01:33 AM
hello penis red itchy and really dry cracked skin dave2525 Sexual Health - Men 1 02-21-2005 07:52 PM

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Sign Up Today!

Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

I want my free account

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:03 AM.

Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2015 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!