It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Men's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2009, 01:33 PM   #1
(male)

Redsox781 HB User
Help! I need advice. Low testosterone w/ lab results for reference

I am a 24 year old male. I've been having all sorts of mood/erectile issues for a while which led me to go get tested to see if there is something wrong with me. I've had a few tests over the course of the past few months and here are the results

Last November as part of a physical I had the doctor draw blood for testosterone. The reading came in at 406 at 9:48 in the morning.

On the 17th of April this year I had my Testosterone and LH tested. The results for my testosterone level was 217 while my LH was 1.8. I had the blood drawn at 3:30 pm. There is another section for free Testosterone which states the % was high apparently. Here are the ranges,

Testosterone: 217 L Range: 241-827 ng/dl
LH: 1.8 Range: 1.5-9.3 ng/dl
% Free Testosterone: 2.73 H Range: 1.50-2.20%
Free Testosterone: 61.2 Range: 35.0-155.0 pg/ml

Because of Testosterone and LH being somewhat low the same doctor had me draw blood again and this time also get my Testosterone, FSH & TSH Level. The test took place on May 9 at 2:11 pm. The results were,

FSH: 1.1 L Range: 1.6-8.0 mIU/ml
LH: 2.3 Range: 1.5-9.3 mIU/ml
Testosterone: 298 Range: 241-827
TSH: 0.56 Range: 0.40-4.50 mIU/ml

I decided at this point it would be best to consult a Endocrinologist and I did. I brought the previous blood work with me and she sent me to go get blood drawn for a variety of other things like FT4, Estradiol, Prolactin, etc. I had this done last month on the 24th at 2:35 pm. Here are the readings,

FT4: 1.1 Range:0.8-1.8 ng/dl
TSH: 1.04 Range: 0.3-4.7 mIU/ml
LH: 1.3 Range: 1.5-9.3 mIU/ml
FSH: 1.0 Range: 1.4-18.1 mIU/ml
Prolactin: 5.1 Range: 2.10-17.66 ng/ml
Estradiol: 41 Range: <52 pg/ml
Total Testosterone: 237 L Range: 241-827 ng/dl

The endo called me on the telephone and told me my Testosterone was low (This was sort of a no duh, it's why I came to her in the first place) and said she wanted me to get an MRI of my Brain. I'm having it done this Monday and I'm sort of scared. I don't really know whats going on but if anyone is knowledgeable in this area and can give me advice on what it could possibly be that would be appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2009, 09:25 AM   #2
(male)

HQproperty HB User
Re: Help! I need advice. Low testosterone w/ lab results for reference

Your Suppose to test your Testosterone Levels early in the morning at like 8-9AM. Your T is highest in the morning. As you can see you did a test at 9:48 and it showed T at 406. But then u did it at 3:30 and its 217.

406 is still a little low but for some people that is enough. Everyone is different. One might feel good at a level of 400 while someone else only feels good at a level of 800.

They are doing a mri to check for a pituitary tumor, usually not cancerous. I also have Low T. And im 25.

Have you taken steroids?

Hows your lifestyle? Eating habits? Sleep?

What symptoms do you feel?
I usually feel low energy, fatigue, brain fog, weak erections.

When did you start feeling these problems?

i didnt start any treatment yet because i just found out i might be hypothyroid. So im waiting for test results on that. Maybe that is causing my symptoms. So if i find out its my thyroid i will go on medicine for it and check testosterone levels and see if there are any improvements.

If there is no improvement then most likely Low T is causing my problems. So then i will start HCG monothearpy. The reason i want to do HCG instead of TRT (Testosterone Replacement Therapy) is because im worried about fertility. TRT will mess up your fertility. Some guys do TRT + HCG combo and say they are still fertile but i dont know and dont want to take chances.

Are you concerned about fertility? Did you get a sperm analysis done? I asked my doc and got one and he was ok.

I heard a lot of endos dont know how to properly treat Low T. I had one that would do all the tests but never did anything about it. I was seein him for 9 months. So then i did a lot of research on the internet and decided to go see dr. crisler from Michigan. I flyed down there all the way from ny. He is known to be an expert in this field.

There are several boards that have a lot of knowledage about this stuff. I dont think i can post them here. PM me if you want.

If i were you id first try naturally to increase testosterone.
by changing lifestyle and nutrition.
Do you smoke, do drugs? how your diet? are you eating healthy?
Do you take multivitamins.
Sleep is very important. That is when your body is repairing.

Most people check out their thyroid & adrenals when they have Low T. Sometimes those are causing the problem. But it looks like you have done the tests. Im not a doctor so cant tell you. You should post your Thyroid test results in the Thyroid Section on this board and ask for advice.

You should do the proper thyroid tests though:

T3, Total
T4, Total
T3, Free
T4,Free
T3, Reverse
Ultrasensitive TSH
Thyroid Peroxidase and Thyroglobulin Antibodies

Good luck

Last edited by Mod-S4; 08-31-2009 at 07:57 AM. Reason: Unnecessary quote removed.

Old 08-27-2009, 12:15 AM   #3
(male)

ShannonRex33 HB User

Just curious to how your MRI turned out, Did you have good news or did you have pituritary problems? I have been on T replacement for over 2 months and I still feel bad. last total was 226 and the Free T was 4.1, Endo upper it dose from 200mg to 300mg every two weeks. Let me know how you are doing & if you got the help you needed. Hope your feeling Better, Shannon

Old 08-30-2009, 07:18 PM   #4
(male)

Redsox781 HB User

I actually saw Dr. Crisler last week. He went over all my labs and was blunt in that I was going to need Testosterone Replacement Theraphy. I sorta wanted to avoid this but if anyone would know what's up it's him and I trust it's what is best for me. He did tell me he wanted to put me on HCG also in order to keep the testicles working.

I have never taken steroids before and my sleeping pattern is all messed up. This is because of the low testosterone. As far as the symptoms I've been feeling...various kinds of ED (hard to get and maintain an erection, no morning-nighttime wood), bad memory, brain fog, fatigue, low drive, low energy etc. just a mess. I've been suffering with this for many years now. It started a few years ago with ED but i'd say within the last year or so it's started to effect me mentally. It sucks being 24 and having this already.

Last edited by hb-mod; 12-24-2009 at 02:16 AM. Reason: Removed Quote.

Old 08-30-2009, 07:24 PM   #5
(male)

Redsox781 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonRex33 View Post
Just curious to how your MRI turned out, Did you have good news or did you have pituritary problems? I have been on T replacement for over 2 months and I still feel bad. last total was 226 and the Free T was 4.1, Endo upper it dose from 200mg to 300mg every two weeks. Let me know how you are doing & if you got the help you needed. Hope your feeling Better, Shannon
Hi, thanks for your concern.
The MRI turned out to be normal I was told. I don't know what the cause for my problems are but it has been a steady progression for the worse. I flew out to Michigan to see a Dr. called John Crisler who is supposed the man when it comes to male hormones. He looked over my labs and didn't manage to get through all of them before telling me he had seen enough and told me he waned to put me on TRT + HCG. I was hoping it wouldn't come to this so young but I always suspected something was wrong deep down and he knows what is best. Hopefully this treament when I go out will help me reclaim my life back.

I'm sorry to hear that T is not helping you very much. Be sure to get a full hormonal profile while you are on it. I heard that in a lot of cases people don't get the full benefit of T because Estradiol becomes elevated and zaps the effect. So Estradiol is something to look into.

Old 09-22-2010, 08:06 PM   #6
(male)

Young50 HB User

Total testosterone has been measured in last month at 307 and 367 ng/dl. I'm 50 yrs old and have been noticing weaker erections in general and lowered libido.
Seeing urologist on Friday for penise ultrasound.
Erections are never full unless self stimulated.
Do u think I may be a candidate for testosterone therapy?

Old 05-17-2011, 10:14 PM   #7
(male)

crazyozzy HB User

Dude,

It seems to me you have secondary hypogonadism. Because your T levels are low but your LH levels are not high to compensate. This means the problem is with your pituitary, not your testicles. There is a way to address that, but I`m not sure how. TRT would not be the best option. Find a doctor who understand this.

Closed Thread