It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Men's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2009, 12:00 PM   #1
(male)

James1977 HB User
Low Testosterone: Feel like I missed out on my twenties

After around seven years of what I thought was chronic depression I discovered my testosterone levels are low. I am now completely off SSRI/SNRI ( zoloft / cymbalta ) and am realizing that I have probably been symptomatic of low T as far back as my late teenage years ( fatigue, ED, low drive, fear of people, poor memory ). I have been slowly pulling away from my friends for the past five or so years. I experienced these symptoms while on and off anti depressants.

I am 31 years old.

I had to argue with my doctor to get my T level checked.
Ironically all of my labs came back normal save for a total T level of 210. She ordered another blood scan.

LABCORP

Serum Total: 254ng/dL 241-827
Testosterone Free : 6.05ng/dL 5.00-21.00
% Free 2.38 1.50-4.20

LH 2.4mIU/mL 1.50-9.3
FSH 2.5mIU/mL 1.4-18.1

She hand wrote "hormone levels are normal". This really hurt because I've know something is drastically off for such a long time that I actually believed the symptoms to be normal. The above testosterone labs are the first empirical evidence I've received that a problem exists.

I have no idea how to interpret these readings, especially LH and FSH levels which appear to be at the low end of the range. My free testosterone % looks the most normal out of all the numbers. My total testosterone looks pretty low.

If anyone could provide further insight as to how to evaluate these numbers it would be great. I am going to see an endocrinologist and naturapathic physician as a two pronged approach to treatment. The reason I want to see the naturapath is pretty simple. They tend to order many scans that western medicine are reluctant to order or will flat out refuse to order.

Confused and in need of an education..

Thanks for listening

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-27-2009, 11:23 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

orion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB User
Re: Low Testosterone: Feel like I missed out on my twenties

Quote:
Originally Posted by James1977 View Post
After around seven years of what I thought was chronic depression I discovered my testosterone levels are low.
For a 31 year old male that is experiencing symptoms of low testosterone, including low libideo, poor performance and depression you most definitely have low testosterone. Especially when combined with your LH and FSH reading which are on the low end. Normally LH and FSH would be elevated when T is low because those hormones should be trying to act to raise your T levels.

The fact your LH and FSH are low, combined with low T, points to a pituitary origin. Something is preventing your pituitary from producing proper LH and FSH levels in response to the low T. Assuming you have been checked for a possible tumor (tests for prolactin and thyroid are normal), it is most likely that you have what is called idiopathic hypopituitarism. If so the only path to normal function is to replace the hormones that are low.

Obviously your doctor knows little about this subject or is afraid to pursue it. I suggest you seek out a doctor who specializes in low T problems. This could start with a fertility endocrinolgoist, since I assume your sperm count is either low or zero - have you ever had it checked? Pehaps tell your GP you and your gf are trying to conceive and suspect your sperm count is low - you want a sperm count and a prolactin and thyroid test; just to be sure things are normal (wink).

Last edited by orion; 07-27-2009 at 11:24 PM.

Closed Thread