It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Men's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2003, 12:44 AM   #1

couch2 HB User
Question low testosterone... can this prevent me from getting a woman pregnant

im going to start by saying i know i can get a woman pregnat. with my ex-wife i could only get her pregnant when she was on fertility pills but we miscarried at 4 weeks. now with my new wife i got her pregnant w/out any fertility pills but we miscarried at 6 1/2 weeks. i have had numerous fertility tests done and they all said the same low testosterone levels in my blood work. i was just wondering if thats the case why am i able to get them pregnant when the drs say i can not?
and if i can why are we miscarrying?if anyone has any answers or suggestions please answer to my problem. thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-28-2003, 06:03 PM   #2
Veteran

buck58 HB User
couch, My testosterone has always been below normal and I have 2 wonderful kids.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-28-2003, 08:04 PM   #3

couch2 HB User
realy? was your semen analysis low too? I was just wondering, cause that was what my test results showed.

Old 01-28-2003, 09:01 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

orion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB User

The first question is why you have low testosterone levels and why you have a low sperm count. Did the doctor investigate the why?

Those two combined can be more serious trouble than just infertility. Do you have other symptoms like weight gain/loss, fatigue, dry skin, easy erection loss, headaches or muscle weakness/pain?

Old 01-28-2003, 09:08 PM   #5

couch2 HB User
the doctor said the reason why the low sperm count is for the low testosterone. thats all i know.

Old 01-29-2003, 07:49 PM   #6
Inactive

focus HB User
Well, if its just low testosterone, the doctor can prescribe testosterone supplements to bring your levels back up to normal. Testosterone affects sperm production, and higher testeosterone levels could improve your sperm count and quality. I'm surprised your doctor hasn't recommended this. Maybe you should get a second opinion from another doctor. I've had bad doctors before who didn't know what they were doing - always get a second opinion on important things like this.

Old 01-29-2003, 11:39 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

orion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by couch2:
the doctor said the reason why the low sperm count is for the low testosterone. thats all i know.
A typical dumb doctor. You should never treat something before you know the cause. A few blood tests can determine the cause. Go get a simple blood test for FSH, LH (sex hormones), and TSH (thyroid). If LH and FSH are low you can suspect a brain tumor, if FSH and LH are high then you know your testicles have been damaged and there can be no repair. If LH is low but FSH is high then you are having pitutiary problems and you can take drugs to increase your sperm if you want. If your TSH is abnormal, then you have a thyroid problem that when fixed may very well fix your testosterone and sperm problems too.

[This message has been edited by orion (edited 01-30-2003).]

Old 02-08-2003, 10:57 PM   #8
Inactive

foosh HB User
Focus, Testosterone (T) supplementation will not increase sperm production. T supplementation will shut down the testicles from producing T.
For sperm production to occur, T must be made locally (in the testicles)
Exogenous T will not distribute in enough concentration, down to the testicles. Thus, sperm production will diminish.

One drug that will help increase both sperm and testosterone is called Clomid (clomiphene citrate)

They give it to women that are having a hard time getting pregnant. It basically helps them ovulate.

They can give it to men to increase testosterone (made in the testes) and therefore sperm production.

Clomid increases LH (leutinizing hormone) and FSH (follicle stimulation hormone). The LH tells cells in the testes to make testosterone. Since the T production is LOCALLY made, it will tend to increase sperm production if in fact low sperm production is due to low T levels to begin with.

Closed Thread