It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Men's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2003, 05:49 PM   #1

RDNK063 HB User
Post Testosterone and facial hair questions questions

Testosterone increases facial hair, right? but doesn't follicle stimulating hormone (FSH) make facial hair grow? or is testosterone and FSH the same thing?

Is it possible to have a lot of facial hair, but have low testosterone, or possibly high testosterone with little facial hair?

And can there be long term side effects from a trial time of a month on Testosterone replacement therapy?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-13-2003, 08:25 PM   #2
(male)

mfree1 HB User
RDNK063,

Testosterone and Follicle Stimulating Hormone (FSH) are two separate things.

Testosterone is produced by Leydig cells in the male genitalia. It affects several different physiological functions including male hair patterns.

FSH is produced by the pituitary gland in the brain. It stimulates the Sertoli cells in the genitalia, which affect several processes, particularly sperm production.

Testosterone replacement would only be necessary if you have an insufficient amount of testosterone in your body (a healthcare provider can order this test.) It's not something we like to try in people with already normal amounts of testosterone due to its unpleasant side effects.

Many guys experience a reduction in facial and body hair as they get older. Also, the amount of body and facial hair is genetically-determined; some guys have a lot, some don't. This is NOT related to a man's testosterone level, ability to reproduce, etc.

If you haven't done so already, I hope you can find a doctor or nurse with whom you feel comfortable discussing some of your concerns. If anything, he or she could reassure you that your testosterone level is within normal limits.

Take care,

Mats.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-16-2003, 08:33 AM   #3
Inactive

focus HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by H2O:

Mats, are you saying that low levels of Testosterone causes low facial hair growth?! In other words, I have low growth rate of my facial hair and I can not grow a "real" mustache: so do you suggest that I have to do testosterone test.
One last point; is it ((common)) that people of low facial hair growth have normal or high levels of testosterone?!

Thanks
No, there's no direct correlation between testosterone levels and facial hair growth. There is an indirect correlation, in that without any testosterone, or extremely low levels of testosterone, there will also be low levels of FSH, and thus little to no facial hair growth. But you would only notice this under extreme cases of low testosterone that would have many other side effects besides just little to no facial hair.

So basically, just because someone has a light beard or little body hair does not mean their testosterone levels are low. In fact, they could even be higher than someone who has a thick heavy beard and is hairy all over.

Asians for example, typically have very light beards, and hardly any body hair. Looking at the population of China, there is definitely no problems there with low testosterone!

Closed Thread