It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Men's Health Message Board

I'm 16 and I'm feeling lost... testicular problems

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-30-2003, 11:24 PM   #1
WhisperInDahWind

WhisperInDahWind HB User
Question I'm 16 and I'm feeling lost... testicular problems

Note: I am not sexually active, I do not do any illegal/happy drugs... I am just confused.

Sometime in the month of January I found what I thought was a lump on my left testicle. It gave me pain and it would itch a whole lot. During the day, I would find a lot of fluid coming out from underneath my testicles, causing it to itch even more.

I told my closest friend (she's incredible; i consider her even more than like a sister) and we both seemed to think nothing of it, but she eventually pressured me into telling my parents. I told my parents and we made an appointment with my pediatrician. She told me that it was probably only a bruise I sustained at judo, and that it should be gone in a couple of days.

A month later, I noticed that the lump never left, and I was feeling a lot of pain. Also, my testicles would sometime turn a shade of black and a very dark red. Not only that, but urination started to burn and sting a little.

Anyway, during this time, the school play just came to an end. I spoke to one of my fellow cast members (who is just like an older brother), and I finally called my pediatrician up one more time. I made another appointment and she referred me to a urologist. The urologist said I had epididimytus (sorry for spelling it wrong if i did) and gave me cipro. The cipro made the swelling go down some, but I was still experiencing pain.

At my next visit, I went through an ultrasound which reported nothing. He's taken urine tests, and they too have reported nothing. Then, at the next visit he told me I had a varicose vein. I had surgery on it, and afterwards my left testicle was swollen (which was normal for just having surgery). Anyway, I had my surgery on July 2 and it is still swollen; I'm still feeling pain. Two Sundays ago, I woke up feeling the need to urinate. However, I couldn't go. No matter how hard I tried I just couldn't urinate. It started burning and stinging and I wasn't even going to the bathroom! Hours later I tried urinating again, but all that happened was I went through the same routine. Then, once I finally started, the burning and stinging subsided.

Ever since then, urination has been easier but I still feel a stinging and burning sensation.

I've called my urologist and have yet to receive a response from him.

I'm so lost. I've taken cipro, antibiotics, and I've had surgery... why am I still experiencing problems? Can anyone give me the slightest idea of what could possibly be wrong with me, and of what I should/can do?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2003, 04:49 AM   #2
Lance2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lance2 HB UserLance2 HB UserLance2 HB User
Oh man, sorry you're dealing with this crap. At your age I can just sense how much it sucks to have gone through all of that. I wish I had the answers for you, but I don't know. I'd say keep hounding that doc until you get an answer OR find yourself another doc to help you. I have heard guys on here discuss the whole cipro thing and how long some of this takes to get better. Hang in there bud, if you need to vent or scream...just come here and someone's always around to listen or support you. Good luck, keep us informed as to how things are going.

Old 07-31-2003, 06:58 AM   #3
jamie17
(male)

jamie17 HB User
Yikes --- I'm feeling kind of p.o.'ed that your parents and doctors are not more supportive and reassuring. It does take a long time for Cipro to work, but nonetheless, it seems like someone should be explaining to you each step of the way what to expect, how much and for how long and paying more attention to what's happening with you.

Unfortunately, I don't know enough about the various symptoms you're describing to give you any advice, but I do know that my partner had epididymitis (spelling? nobody knows how to spell this one)and ended up taking Cipro for it. There was alot of tenderness and pain and an incredible amount of swelling. It was hard for him to urinate, and he always kind of had the feeling that he had to go, but then it would take a long time to get started, and then he never really felt done --- kind of a lingering feeling that something wasn't right there. The Cipro took a long time to really work --- it was very slow and gradual, not like anything got better overnight. And it has come back twice in his life, after he got over that first time, which gives me the impression that it is one of those things you kind of always have to be on the lookout for. (sorry!) But he never had any discharge or bruising. The red/black bruising could be from the broken blood vessel, but the discharge thing really kind of worries me. I think you should be more proactive with your doctors --- don't be afraid to demand more attention and don't let them brush you off until you've had all your questions answered and you are clear about what's wrong and why, what to expect during treatment, how long it will take, what to do if there is more pain or if the condition doesn't go away
and what the prognosis is for the future.

Btw, at 16 I think you are old enough to be going to a regular doctor/internest/gp, as opposed to your family's pediatrician, but maybe that's just me.

Good luck!

Old 07-31-2003, 09:25 AM   #4
WhisperInDahWind

WhisperInDahWind HB User
Unhappy

Thanks for the support guys. This whole thing has pretty much torn me apart. I still have yet to receive a response from my urologist. I keep calling his office and the staff always says that he'll get back to me and he never does. I think next time I call I'm just going to have to be more aggressive. I guess if I got my parents to call it would be different, but I don't like my mom finding out about this stuff because she flips out entirely. She starts acting like it is her problem and she almost makes it seem like it is my fault that this is happening (though she doesn't mean to). I dunno what I'm going to do yet... I know I have an appointment with my urologist on Thursday of next week anyway, so I guess I'll just tough it out until then.

Old 07-31-2003, 12:32 PM   #5
jamie17
(male)

jamie17 HB User
Hmmmm... well, your situation kind of sucks, that's for sure. I know how it can be when you call a doctor and they seem less than responsive and since they have so much status and supposedly know so much, it's hard to stand up for yourself. It's just so easy to be intimidated.

I wonder if your mother is maybe acting the way she is out of frustration because (a) she doesn't have your equipment and has no idea what could be wrong or how to handle it and (b) she then feels guilty and inadequate because she knows she isn't handling it so well but doesn't know how to change that and of course feels bad that you're hurting. Just a thought. You didn't mention your Dad specifically, but could you talk to him and explain your situation? Maybe since he has a set of testicles himself, he will be able to relate a bit better and the urgency will be more apparent to him --- I'm sure no father wants to see something bad happen to his son's parts. Maybe the seriousness of this would resonate a bit more with him and he would be more likely to lean on the urologist? I hate to see you go another whole week not knowing and in pain. Definitely, if the urologist doesn't come through this time, it's time to get another doctor (although I know in this day of HMO's that is really a hassle.)
Dude, I feel for you & wish you the best!

Old 07-31-2003, 03:41 PM   #6
WhisperInDahWind

WhisperInDahWind HB User
My dad knows just as much as my mom on this topic. It isn't that I don't feel comfortable talking about it with them, it is just that I don't like the way my mother reacts to it. Also, the fact that my sister is bulimic scares the hell out of them and makes my whole situation much worse to deal with. In the beginning I wasn't about to tell my parents at all because I didn't want to add more stress to their lives, but one of my friends threatened to call my parents if I didn't tell them myself. I just have to wait and see what happens I guess...

Old 07-31-2003, 03:42 PM   #7
WhisperInDahWind

WhisperInDahWind HB User
But maybe tonight I better just tell my parents I've been trying to get in touch with my doctor (and for what reasons)...

Old 08-01-2003, 04:47 AM   #8
Lance2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lance2 HB UserLance2 HB UserLance2 HB User
Sounds like you've got a great friend there! I'd say talk with them, your health is important here and they can deal with it. Sorry your Mom reacts that way, I'm sure she's just scared and doesn't quite know what to do or say.

Old 08-01-2003, 07:11 PM   #9
WhisperInDahWind

WhisperInDahWind HB User
Unhappy

Well thanks for the support. I still can't get in touch with my doctor, and I haven't found the right time yet to tell my parents the new stuff that is happening.

Last night my left testicle felt as hard as a rock. Is this unusual? I've been experiencing so many problems down there for the past 7 months that I'm unsure of what exactly is abnormal. And, it is still swollen (though much of the swelling has gone down). I had the surgery on July 2nd, so I'm hoping it is still only swollen because of the surgery I've had.

So, what do these two things mean?... having it feel as hard as a rock and still being swollen?

Old 08-07-2003, 02:52 PM   #10
WhisperInDahWind

WhisperInDahWind HB User
Just got back from the urologist again... Turns out I have a relapse of epidydimitus (however you spell it) and a urinary tract infection (that probably developed from my surgery). Ah oh well... whatever it is I'll get through it.

Closed Thread