It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Men's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2003, 04:44 PM   #1

goatofthenever HB User
Post odd hole

this is embaressing and i never told anyone. at the top of my ***, in the top of the crack there is a hole. i tried searching but cant find anything about it, so i dont really know if its common or not. also arond it the skin is all brown. i continusly tried washing and scrubing it but it stays brown. i find this really freaking embaressing. anyone know anything about this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-20-2003, 07:17 PM   #2
Veteran

sdp2 HB User
I think I know what you're talking about. I think I had something like that long ago. I think the hole developed after there was some boil or zit that was pretty deep. That's the best I can do!! LOL

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-20-2003, 07:20 PM   #3

goatofthenever HB User
how long did urs stay? i cant remmeber if i had anything there before, i found out it the hole was there several years ago.

Old 08-20-2003, 07:35 PM   #4
Inactive

UmmmmmWTF HB User
soudns to me like a polinidal cyst. think thats spelt right. polinidal cysts are found at the top of the crack, and are caused by hair folicles that get infected. do you notice any puss or bleeding? swelling? soreness?

Old 08-21-2003, 10:07 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

tommy124 HB Usertommy124 HB Usertommy124 HB Usertommy124 HB Usertommy124 HB User
it is spelled pilonidal

Old 08-21-2003, 05:42 PM   #6
Veteran

sdp2 HB User
That's probably it guys!.. As for how long it stayed?? I have no idea since it was many many years ago.

Old 08-21-2003, 06:58 PM   #7
Inactive

UmmmmmWTF HB User
thanx tommy. unfortunatly, they are not gonna go away. unless you have it surgically removed. i dunno, i have one, and i don't think i want the surgery. they said they cut out enough meat and skin to leave a hole big enough to put my fist in. after surgery, they don't close the hole. you need to stuff it with gauze 3 times a day until this tennis ball size hole fills itself. i dunno, i think i'll stick with my cyst.

Old 08-21-2003, 07:52 PM   #8

goatofthenever HB User
thanks for the help guys, i got some info on it. i guess mine isnt a bad one, no bleeding, pain, swelling or anything. so i guess ill just let it be. thanks again.

Old 05-07-2005, 08:50 AM   #9
(male)

bama-dad HB User
Re: odd hole

hey guys, just wanted to let you knopw i had mine removed about a month ago. they went all the way down to my tail bone and had to take out about a pound of puss and stuff that was surronding the folicle. The only thing you have to do as far as taking care of it after surgery is just take a shower every day and have someone that can pack it and tape it up for you. the doctor will show you how. There isnt much you can do after you come home but lay on the couch. sitting in a chair is out adn taking rides in the car. So dont be afraid to have the surgery, the doctor said if you wait to have it done you could run the risk of it possibly turning into something else. It is rare but it coud happen.

Old 05-07-2005, 02:02 PM   #10
Inactive
(male)

ScruffyGuy HB User
Re: odd hole

It is EXTREMELY rare for a pilonidal cyst to turn cancerous -- and that's about the only thing it may do over MANY, MANY years of continuous infections and neglect with no treatments for these infections. But, yes... not impossible, just very, very unlikely.

They CAN flare-up at anytime and produce massive pain, though.

There are many options for living with it that will reduce the chance of that happening.

Each case is different. The poster here seems to have a mild cyst that is not very active. That could change or it could remain that way.

The elective surgery is something that requires SERIOUS consideration. While most surgeries for these cysts turn out fine in the end, there are some folks who have horrible issues with the healing process. They may end up with wounds that won't heal and last for literally years. This is something that MUST be taken into account before opting for surgery.

Additionally, not all surgeries are successful. Sometimes, the cyst returns. Sometimes not.

There are also conservative surgeries and alternate treatments that can be examined. It is hard to find a surgeon who is well-versed in conservative treatments, though. Most surgeons WILL, indeed, just cut out a huge chunk of tissue. Docs who have studied conservative treatments will remove smaller sized areas and allow the sinus channels inside to heal on their own, saving the patient the trauma of removing a huge slice of flesh. These surgeries do cost more, though -- but those who have them have a VERY high success rate and an easy healing process.

Surgeries which remove large amounts of tissue can result in an extremely painful healing process FOR SOME. Some folks, like the guy above, seem to have an easy go of it. Other folks describe the daily wound packing as intense torture that is incredibly painful. Most folks take lots of pain meds before the daily packing and cleaning of the resulting wound.

There ARE closed surgeries for pilonidal cysts which do not require packing. These have a higher rate of recurrence for the cyst to return later -- and a higher risk of post-op infection. But some docs will do a closed (sutured) surgery -- especially if they find they do not need to remove a large piece of tissue and the cyst is small.

There are also minor lancing procedures that can help, especially if there is an active infection. SOMETIMES a simple lancing done in a doc's office will allow the cyst to heal up. This does NOT remove the cyst, however. It CAN provide a period of remission that may last several years -- forever -- or not work at all. No way to know in advance, though -- it's just "try it and see."

Look up the word pilonidal online. There's some good resources out there which can help you learn to live with your cyst if that is your choice for now.

Having it removed is a good option to consider, and doing so when the cyst is NOT infected is mandatory. If it IS infected, a good surgeon will lance it first, clean it out, give you antibiotics and THEN do the surgery. If no infection is present at all -- you can have surgery anytime and with much less risk.

What seems like a simple condition is actually much more complex when you take into consideration all the possible options. Folks with pilonidal cysts should do a LOT of research on the subject before making a decision. Even if your cyst is not bothering you now, it is best to look up ways to live with it so that it does not become infected.

Good luck -- if you want more information, just ask.

Closed Thread