It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Men's Health Message Board

overwieght and want a 6pack

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-14-2003, 05:36 PM   #1
bjh_08

bjh_08 HB User
Question overwieght and want a 6pack

hello. i'm 14 years old, arounds 5'11'' and weigh about 185. i have a big stomoach but not huge, huge and then i have bigger than normal chest. (that sounds stupid) but i was wondering if anyone knew a work-out that i could do to flatten my chest and stomach. i go to the weight room almost everyday for this summer. nothing in there seems to help. but i don't know. how long would i have to do something for results to finally appear. i really want a 6 pack too because i feel really shy when around the girls at a swimming pool or something like that. i would like to take off my shirt and show it off just like everyone else. sorry if that sounds stupid but that's my problem and i really want help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-15-2003, 12:07 AM   #2
netviper13
Inactive

netviper13 HB User
You need to do cardio, and lots of it. You might build perfect abdominal muscles, but they don't do anything for your appearance unless you lose the layer of fat covering them.

But cardio isn't the only thing you should do, continue lifting weights, as muscle helps burn fat.

So basically, keep lifting but add a serious cardio routine.

Old 08-15-2003, 04:13 AM   #3
happy go lucky

happy go lucky HB User
hi, net viper is right, I am 22 years old, 6' 3" tall & 217 #'s with a body fat of about 4.33%. I have been on school wrestling teams from jr high thru grad school, which is where I am now. I have been captain of the team(s) 4 the last 6 yrs.

I am very muscular and have a very apparent 6 pack. A lot of it is genetics, I have 2 brothers, (both older), and my dad all tend to be very lean and well muscular, but funny thing is that the middle brother is 5' 7" and my older brother and dad r both over 6'.

Ok u need 2 do a lot of cardio and I mean a lot. To keep in shape 4 the team and b/c I enjoy working out and all aspects of it, I train very, very hard. I do at least an hour and up to 2 hours of cardio a day. That includeds, running, swiming, (I alturnate each every day), I also jump rope, use the tredmill, nordi track, eliptial trainer, rower, speed bag, heavy bag and sparing during the week as well. I also weight train 7 days a week, doing only one muscle group a day, so that each group gets worked out only once a week. That is another hour in the gym, so I train about 2 - 3 hours daily and that is on top of wrestling practice with my team and wrestling matches.

The more u cardio train, the lower we can get ur fat level down 2. The lower the fat level and the lower the layer of fat the more ur abs will show.

Now I have to workout a great deal to be agile and strong enuf 4 the team, but u do not have 2 carry it 2 such an extreme.

I would say 30 min to 1 hr cardio training 3 x a week and weight training 3 x a week, alturnate so that u do cardio 1 day weights the other!

u must cardio train at least 20 min. As it takes 20 min or moore to strenghten ur heart, the stronger the heart the less it has 2 work, the healthier u r.

In time u will c ur abs. But do not make urself crazy, not everyone can look like a fitness magazine model and not everyone should train as much as I do. U r a young guy, u want to have a life outside the gym, and school. So do not push it 2 hard, u will look lean and ripped soon enuf and the women,will beat a path to ur door! take care, happy go lucky

[This message has been edited by happy go lucky (edited 08-22-2003).]

Old 08-21-2003, 04:43 PM   #4
stabmaster
Inactive

stabmaster HB User
in my opinion you should do what i did. if you are shy around the ladies, your body is not going to help. the cuttest dude at my gym (i mean cut) is incredibly shy, keeps to himself, etc. I think that if he were a horny fatass like i was than he would be a little more sociable. Learn to speak to girls first. Be proud of a little extra meat-- there are so many chunky dudes with hot chicks. Try to be that guy, and then loose the gut. Even if you strike out all the time, you'll build either confidence or at lest loose inhibition about talking to girls.

Once that is done, work on your cardio as was mentioned. You will have even more confidence and you'll honestly just want to pull your dick out and smile when you see a cute girl.

Old 08-21-2003, 07:13 PM   #5
Redstorm

Redstorm HB User
Yea the other guyz are right on doing cardio but you should really look into dieting at the same time. If you want to lose the weight you need to create a calorie deficit. Meaning you should be burning off more calories then you consume. Also, you should break up your meals during the day. Have 6 smaller meals a day then 3 larger ones. Other than that, make sure you know what your eating. Thats my 2 cents in a nut shell. Good luck.

Old 08-22-2003, 05:36 PM   #6
happy go lucky

happy go lucky HB User
Red storm is right, 6 small meals are better than 3 large ones. After u ate, insilin is succreted, to lower ur sugar levels. The sugur drops off and the inselin level drops. So formore energy the more often u eat the better. Also insilin is direcly related to muscle growth, which is why some very foolish body builders take insulin, in order to up muscle growth, as ur muscles will grow more when your insilin level is not fluxuating a lot.

So the trick is to eat often and small meals so u do not gain weight, but so that u can keep ur insilin level high, which makes it faster to grow muscle & gives u more energy to workout harder so that u can build even more muscle. However, body builders who take insilin directluy risk diabities, haert attack, cancer etc. It is much safer to jsut eat often, and healthy. So instead of having a huge breakfast at 7 am have a moderate breakfast at 7 and an apple and perhaps 1 slice of toast at 10 am, etc. Workout hard, eat smartly and yoru 6 pack will b there 4 all 2 c.

Old 08-24-2003, 05:32 PM   #7
stabmaster
Inactive

stabmaster HB User
on a similar note, try foods with low glycemic loads. If you can't eat for 4+ hours at a stretch, eat enough of a very low GL carb source before, like All-Bran cereal or vegetables (vegetables are nearly all carbs, veggies seem to have low GL's).

you may spike your sugar level around your workout a little bit, but don't overdo it. powerbar, banana, or rice (preferably brown) will do the trick.

Closed Thread