It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Men's Health Message Board

Testosterone

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-25-2003, 03:47 PM   #1
footballfan

footballfan HB User
Post Testosterone

I am a 22-year-old male and I have, over the past year, been experiencing symptoms consistent with low testosterone.

My symptoms include largly decreased sex-drive, depression, laziness, not to mention that I have much difficulty building muscle mass, and none of these things were a problem just a few years ago.

So I went to the doctor to get my hormones checked, and I'm a little confused by the results.

My doctor said my testosterone was at 3.83 ng/ml and that the range in 2.5 - 9.5 ng/ml. He said that was fine but it seems kinda low to me, especially since I'm 22.

First of all, I'm not even sure which type of testosterone he checked since I know that there are a few types and you usually get a few different numbers back. On top of that, as he was reading my results to me, he says, "Oh let's see here. It looks like you're at about 3.83. You know, that's not such a bad number", As if to say that it's in the normal range but it still sucks.

Seemed to me like he was in a hurry to get out of there that day and was just telling what I wanted to hear so I wouldn't ask questions.

I was hoping that someone with knowledge on this subject could help to clarify what my numbers mean. I'd appreciate any insight you guys could give me.

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2003, 07:17 PM   #2
Wonderingwhy
Inactive

Wonderingwhy HB User
Hey Footballfan, 3.83 doesn't mean you are testosterone deficient, it just means you may be. That number is low compared to what the average level is for a young man of your age. But everyones body is different. One person may need a T level in the high range to feel good, while another person of the same age can be in the very bottom of the T range and feel just as good because there bodies are different. If you are having the symptoms of low testosterone, and since you have a T level that is on the lower end of normal and at your age, you should pursue it further and find out for sure. And also about the Testosterone test, they need to be drawn in the morning, that's when they are highest and where it should be measured. Testosterone will fluctuate due to the circadian rythm of the body, the numbers can change within 15 minutes. So 3.83 can be a high fluctuation or low fluctuation, or somewhere in between. Another T test will give you a better idea of what your average is. The T tests you should have are free Testosterone, Total testosterone, Sex hormone binding, and lutenizing hormone. You should also have your Thyroid checked. Have your T4 checked, along with free t4, TSH, t3, and free t3. thyroid problems can cause T levels to drop. Doctors are not going to want to work on this problem, the Testosterone and other hormones, due to lack of knowledge and the limits set on them by the health plans so they don't overspend. So you will have to press for these tests, and I suggest posting your results her for interpetation. There are a lot of smart people here who can help you

Old 08-28-2003, 11:15 PM   #3
Darkfur
Veteran

Darkfur HB User
Hi there!

I am a 30-year old who has just started testosterone injections. Its saddening to know I actually needed this for quite some time, but was never aware of it. When I was 23 (in 1996) I had my right undescended testicle removed. The doctor told me my left nut could produce enough testosterone on its own to compensate.

I had a follow-up visit after the surgery, where they took more blood. Nothing became of it. I soon began growing small breast-like projections, felt depressed, irritable, and had little enthusiasm for things I used to enjoy. I was worried about my body and could not understand why I felt so bad.

I had another test done 7 years later (2003) and finally learned the numeric results of all 3 tests. They were surprising.

I had most of the symptoms of low T, except I could still get an erection and ejaculate. Low libido is something I'm not sure if I suffer from. I really don't know what it feels like to be "normal" libido-wise. I don't masturbate nearly as much as I did when I was in my teens. I can go a week or more without feeling the need to masturbate if I don't think about it.

Now, here are my results (converted from the Canadian values) and the "normal" range as given by the lab that returned each test, respectively:

Sept 1996: 3.75 ng/ml (2.88 - 10.09 is normal) <- with two testes
Janu 1997: 2.13 ng/ml (2.59 - 11.24 is normal) <- with just one nut
July 2003: 2.42 ng/ml (1.67 - 8.07 is normal) <- before injections began

I find it laughable that this latest lab says 1.67 is the low limit for males. I am at 2.42 and growing breasts! Other sources on the internet quote "normal" ranges of 3.00 - 12.00, 3.70 - 11.00, and 4.00 - 10.80 ng/ml. As you can see, I are below all these ranges, and you are below one as well.

I am bothered by the ignorance of how "normal" is defined as "any healthy male" and not by age. I am willing to bet many of those readings making up the lower end of the "normal" spectrum are from guys 50 and older!

I have lived like this for so long, it's hard to imagine feeling any different. I hope these injections make me feel better overall, and maybe incrase my body/facial hair, build muscle tone, accelerate fat loss, and make me hornier too! I wouldn't mind feeling the need to masturbate more often until I find a companion. It's fun!

I am no doctor. I hope sharing my experience with you helps to shed some light on your own results. If it wasn't for my doctor, I never would have begun these shots. I'm not even 100% sure I need them, but the proof is in the numbers: My left testicle did not recover from the loss of the right one.

Closed Thread