It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Men's Health Message Board

weight gain

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-27-2003, 05:15 PM   #1
Turin0016

Turin0016 HB User
Question weight gain

I'm a 21 year-old man with a relatively slight build - I'm 5'8" and about 135 - and I'm wondering what I can do to really put on some weight. I'd like to get up to maybe 160, though it isn't likely possible.
I have a VERY high metabolism and IBD (irritable bowel syndrome - it causes digestion problems and limits the nutrition you can get out of food), and there doesn't seem to be anything I can do about it.
I'm in very good shape, I've played hockey for 10 years and while I'm quite strong everyone who looks at me thinks I'm a weakling. It's annoying because I know I'm in better shape than they are, I just don't look it unless my shirt is off. Even then, you can almost count my ribs.
I've tried just about everything over the years. I've tried drinking those disgusting diet shakes in between meals for extra calories, protein powders in my food and drinks, carb-heavy diets, fat-heavy diets (jeez that was no fun) - just about everything.
Anybody have any ideas, or might I just be S.O.L. until I get older and my metabolism dies?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-27-2003, 05:40 PM   #2
Redstorm

Redstorm HB User
Hey I know where your coming from. I'm 5'7 and I used to be 120lbs because I was a track runner. I bulked up to 160lbs doing alot of stuff. My friend (an amateur body builder) trained me and I took up a regiment of working out about 4-6 days a week using huge whey protein shakes daily. Id have breakfast, lunch...go the gym and have a 60 gram shake afterwards...and then dinner and a 20gram shake before i slept. I'd even through stuff in between..like meal replacement bars (mesotech, met-rx, etc.) Thas how i put on my 40lb. goodl uck

Old 08-29-2003, 10:55 AM   #3
focus
Inactive

focus HB User
I'm also the same way. When I was 21, I was about the same weight as you - about 130-135, and I'm 5'9". I've always been skinny, and I could eat as much as I want and whatever I want, and not put on weight. Just a super high metabolism.

Now, I'm 29, 5'9", and weigh 150. I'm not skinny anymore, but I'm still definitely thin - have like no fat anywhere, although you can't really see my ribs anymore. All of my weight gain has come from weight lifting and building muscle. I'm still not the weight I want to be - I would like to be 160. But, I'm heavier than I ever was before, and continuing my workout, its still increasing slowly. Most of my friends laugh and say they wish they had my 'problem'.

I always thought I was light at 150, but I found some normal weight tables on the internet, and found that my weight for my height is right in the middle of perfectly normal. At 160, I would be near the heavy range of normal. And, I could be as light as 125-130 and still be considered normal. The fact of the matter is, a lot of Americans are overweight, and it skews our perception of what a normal weight is for our height.

Old 09-04-2003, 03:37 PM   #4
Travis03

Travis03 HB User
I know exactly where you are comming from. I am 18, and only like 130 lbs. I hate it! look sickly! I would rather be big, than look like I do!

Closed Thread