It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Men's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2010, 07:43 AM   #1
(male)

ScrotumRelief HB UserScrotumRelief HB UserScrotumRelief HB User
“Red Scrotum Syndrome” Relief and resolution

Ok this is going to very long winded, but I think well worth the read. I believe there is relief and complete resolution for this “Red Scrotum Syndrome” RSS issue. A few of these other post are right on base. NO STEROIDS…I am sure most of you have gone through a few different steroid creams and lotions, etc. Guess what…what ever you had fungal infection, etc. it is gone by now and you are just experiencing side effects from Corticosteroid use. If you go to a Dermatologist, the only thing they have in their war chest is Corticosteroid’s…they are probably hesitant or completely reluctant as in my case to tell you the issues started because of the Steroid creams. The resolution is stopping the steroid creams/lotions…And a lot of patience!!...I mean a lot!

Other posters “Skindisco” hits on a lot of good points and he is 110% right on stopping steroids…as for the lotions…I have not used any as that has only irritated my skin. As for the other posters that stopped all sugars, I think you may be onto something, I stopped all bad sugars, yes the ice cream, cookies, soda, beer and candy bars…but as for natural sugars like fresh squeezed orange juice, fruit, etc…I did keep eating good natural sugars…a good diet can’t hurt the situation.

My issues…started in early January 2010. Initial insult was a lubricant…burning and slight redness, 2 days later I started Lamisil cream thinking I just had a minor jock itch problem and it will be resolved in a week…one week went by with no resolution; it seemed to be getting worse, went to regular doctor and he gave me a anti-fungal and steroid lotion. Started to apply and it seem to be getting better, but again by the end of the week no resolution and still seemed to be getting worse. My skin seemed thinner and I could see my blood vessels more pronounced and looking a lot redder than I remember. Scrotum was redder than my normal (worse in the evening than in the morning). And yes the burning was still there along with a biting feeling (this is your blood vessels telling you to stop the Steroids).

Starting to loss a lot of sleep and possible my mind…sleeping with my sack hanging out of my boxers and a burning like the worst sun burn I have ever had, the only difference was that it was on my scrotum. Not knowing the timeframe on this issue and the resolution is the worst part for me and I got some big time anxiety and possible depression. Doctor prescribed and antidepressant…don’t get to excited to take these they have there own side effects as well. I also took Xanax to help me sleep, Ambien did not do it for me…the Xanax took a couple of days to really relax me and work.

Moving on…after my regular doctors Corticosteroid lotion did not work, I went to a dermatologist MD. Again he gave me a higher strength Corticosteroid and again seem to be getting better for a few days, then by the end of the week still no resolution. (FYI-side note- Google Corticosteroid side effects…things are all starting to come together). So went back to the and saw the PA at the dermatologist office and she said I have Red Scrotum Syndrome and there is not much to do…gave me Lidocaine to numb the skin, did not do much. Again went back to the MD dermatologist and he said I did not have RSS and I was being unreasonable (although his PA just said two weeks before that I did have RSS). He did not see much wrong with my skin and that a shot of steroids would do the trick and if it didn’t work come back and see him…yeah NO! So the steroid shot worked to relieve the burning only about 50-60%, but not completely and was due to wear off in two weeks. Ok we are now in the first week of March 2010 and no resolution…the docs do not know much about this subject and rarely if ever see this.

I took the research into my own hands. Articles that were very help full Article #1) Red Scrotum Syndrome: Successful treatment with oral doxycyclin; Published by Journal of Dermatological Treatment and written by Abbas Ossama, Abdul Ghani Kibbi, Adele Chedraoui and Samer Ghosn out of The Department of Dermatology, American Univestiy of Beirut Medical Center (AUBMC), Beirut, Lebanon…(if you have googled the subject I am sure you have seen this abstract pop up)…get the FULL article gives you much more information regarding how to take the Doxycycline (100 mg 2 times a day for 30 days, then 1 time a day till complete resolution typically 2-3 months)…they don’t mention this anywhere but do not take longer than 4 months (get a Pill Book describing drugs and side effects, can be found at your local drug store).

In looking these doctors up that wrote this article only two of them are still at the AUBMC and out of these two one went to Harvard Medical School and the other UMass in Boston…no dummies!! On the flip side the case study was only 9 patients, but there are not that many people with this issue and ALL 9 patients had resolution. Article #2). Corticosteroid Addiction and Withdrawal in the Atopic: The Red Burning Skin Syndrome written by Marvin J. Rapaport, MD and Mark Lebwohl, MD…this article describes a bit more on the Addiction and Withdrawal of Corticosteroids…good article cost $5 on the web…find it you have the time to devote to figuring out how to solve your scrotum issues.

As a side note on both these articles #1 says that the patients had been using topical corticosteroids for 6 months to 4 years…mine started almost immediately, but deffinatly within two weeks. And they mention that it is an old man issue, I am 34 and don’t consider myself and old man. Article #2: mentions that the steroid withdrawal period is 4-18months, note this is with out the use of Doxycycline…so if you are allergic to Doxycycline, you will need to stop and have even more patience, but there is an eventual resolution. There is typically no harm in taking Doxycycline…read the warning/side effect and stay out of the sun or at least put on high SPF sunscreen…you will burn…and coming into the summer months now will be an issue…Sunscreen.

Back to my case…after getting the steroid shot in the arm at the dermatologist office, I stopped all Corticosteroid creams/lotions, even regular Cataphyll lotion, hell I was even putting diaper rash cream on…STOP putting anything on you scrotum…what did you put on before the original insult/issue? Probably nothing, so go back to that! You skin needs a lot of time to thicken back up…weeks and weeks, but more like months and months…Again PATIENCE!!

First get a steroid shot, the articles say stop all topical and systematic steroids, but this gave me some relief and it was not a topical steroid, which is where I really thing this RSS issue comes from. Plus you need a bit of time to get over not putting anything on you sack. Next I would start the Doxycycline…as prescribe in the article and above. It got a little better right away and that was probably a combo of the shot and finally not putting topical stuff on my nuts. As “Skindisco” mentioned it does wane and wan for a period of time…don’t get discouraged. I made the mistake of putting Cataphyll lotion on in week 6 of the Doxycycline treatment…bad idea for me…flare up. Now it is two weeks from that point and I really don’t feel any issues…skin is looking a lot more normal, yet a bit of an issues in the evening with it looking red and saggy…very minor and more importantly feels normal! Also, very snug boxers helped out a lot…the vessels need to get back to normal and if you have you sack dangling all over the place that only hurt the vessels more…again one reason the symptoms seem worse in the evening after a long day of bouncing around.

Good luck gentlemen and don’t listen to the posters regarding this has ruined their lives and they have lived with it for 10 years…ouch! Them boys are just not doing the research…do the research, that is the beauty of the internet and don’t get off on some tangent that you have some rare rare disease that has no cure. What you probably do have is side effects from corticosteroid addiction. GOOD LUCK and PATIENCE!! It does get better!

Last edited by Administrator; 09-26-2011 at 08:06 AM. Reason: starting a new thread with this post.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ScrotumRelief For This Useful Post:
Bodja (11-06-2012), echonoble (02-10-2011), gator12 (07-05-2012), Prospero (03-30-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-06-2010, 11:36 AM   #2
(male)

Smile Re: Relief for “Red Scrotum Syndrome”

Still feeling great! Since my initial post I have stop the Doxycyline as it was starting to upset my stomach after almost two months of taking it. I am closer to 100% resolution then even last week.

Ok do me a favor if you have gone through a course of topical steroid treatment and still have a burning scrotum. Grab your sack and bring your testicle to the surface of your scrotum…do your vessels look red? Or irritated? This is where I really thing the problem in lies. The side effects from topical steroids is thinning of the skin and vasulation(sp?) or irritated red vessels.

However, if you do have something that the dermatologist can see on your scrotum skin then by all means use what he/she prescribes, but if you have gotten to the point where the dermatologist does not know what is wrong…then do the following.

Simple course of action: Get a steroid shot (no topical steroids) at your dermatologist, stop putting anything on you sack and start the Doxycyline regiment. And be patient!

There is virtually no harm in taking Doxycyline, unless you are allergic to it. The PA at my dermatologist office would not prescribe it as she thought it would not help. So I made another appointment with the MD and he thought there was no harm in taking it, so he wrote me a prescription…basically if you want to take it then find somebody to prescribe it. If you don’t then do the other two steps and add more patience to the list. Basically the vessels will resolve themselves over time, just that there is an agent in the Doxycyline that seems to speed up the recovery time.

Again Good Luck! And if you have success please post results…Thanks!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ScrotumRelief For This Useful Post:
joe2011 (09-15-2011), Prospero (03-30-2012), wanttruth (04-28-2012)
Old 08-02-2010, 09:53 AM   #3
(male)

Re: “Red Scrotum Syndrome” Relief and resolution

There is alot of truth to the CANDIDA DIET!! In early June I went on a guys golf weekend and had none short of 12 beers a day for three days. When i got home my scrotum started to burn again and sweating was uncomfortable. So I started the Candida Diet and about 1.5 weeks later the issues went away. I was the big proponent of Doxycycline, but this maybe a better solution. I have 99% relief and am a happy camper. No issues for 6 weeks now and other than that 1.5 week i have been syptom free for a few months now. Good Luck!

The following user gives a hug of support to ScrotumRelief:
NISSANS (11-05-2010)
Old 11-07-2010, 12:44 AM   #4
(male)

unknownally HB User

I have tried doing nothing. It doesn't help my issue.

For many years I have just simply been putting lotion after a shower.
When I don't shower the itch becomes unbearable.

I have had this issue for 9 years, and next year would make it 10.
What am I doing wrong? Do I need less showers?

Old 11-09-2010, 07:39 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

WildNorth HB UserWildNorth HB UserWildNorth HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknownally View Post
I have tried doing nothing. It doesn't help my issue.

For many years I have just simply been putting lotion after a shower.
When I don't shower the itch becomes unbearable.

I have had this issue for 9 years, and next year would make it 10.
What am I doing wrong? Do I need less showers?

@Unknownally:

The lotion doesn't last very long. I have to apply lotion 4 times a day just to keep the itch (and redness) down. Try either Cerave, or Palmers cocoa butter lotion. Also, don't use soap when washing. Soap is a known irritant. Use Cetaphil cleanser.

Just my two cents.

@Scrotum relief:

I can tell you I only tried corticosteroids for 3 days in the 10 months I have had this. It made my sack redder so I immediately discontinued use. I don't think corticosteroids is the issue for me. I also went on a strict candida diet for 15 days. When I say strict, I mean STRICT. All it did after 15 days was put me in a foul mood. Just didn't do anything for me.

Could you please update us and tell us how you are doing Scrotumrelief?

Last edited by WildNorth; 11-09-2010 at 07:42 PM.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WildNorth For This Useful Post:
Prospero (03-30-2012), unknownally (11-12-2010)
Old 11-10-2010, 06:31 AM   #6
(male)

Re: Relief for “Red Scrotum Syndrome”

I am doing very good...but still some slight issue. I think mine is mainly sugar related. I did not drink often from June till early October, maybe 2-3 times a month. Then started drinking beer again on the weekends and maybe one day during the week, so 2-3 times a week. Also, started eating all this Halloween candy early and often. I am 6'2" and 165lb so no problem with weight and eating as much crap food as I want. But, on my sac i can now feel a little more burning sensation...nothing real bothersome, but none the less. I am going to back down on the beer and candy for a few months and see if it goes away. I have my annual physical in March and will bring it up with the doc at that point. Possible a sugar issue and/or prostate issue? But the only symptom is on my sac, so not sure if they are going to be able to figure it out or not. I may request seeing a urologist, but I do not have any immediate need to at this point.

All in all I am in good shape with my issues. I will post again if anything enlightening pops up.

Not sure if this helps ya...Good Luck!

Old 11-12-2010, 01:51 AM   #7
(male)

unknownally HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildNorth View Post
@Unknownally:

The lotion doesn't last very long. I have to apply lotion 4 times a day just to keep the itch (and redness) down. Try either Cerave, or Palmers cocoa butter lotion. Also, don't use soap when washing. Soap is a known irritant. Use Cetaphil cleanser.

Just my two cents.

@Scrotum relief:

I can tell you I only tried corticosteroids for 3 days in the 10 months I have had this. It made my sack redder so I immediately discontinued use. I don't think corticosteroids is the issue for me. I also went on a strict candida diet for 15 days. When I say strict, I mean STRICT. All it did after 15 days was put me in a foul mood. Just didn't do anything for me.

Could you please update us and tell us how you are doing Scrotumrelief?
True. I wasn't itching today until I showered using soap on my balls.

Old 11-12-2010, 06:50 AM   #8
Inactive
(male)

inholms HB User

Yes, I think I can help. I get this horrid thing from time to time. I'm pretty certain it's a deep seated fungi infection. I've tried most things like you, none of them worked and it kept coming back. Then I found an old remedy, Whitfields ointment. 6% benzoic acid and 3% salicyilic acid. Stings like hell! but apply it all over your balls and rectum area, twice a day and after about a week it clears up. After that a good coating every few days. It's the only thing I have found which works. It's difficult to get hold of, you need to find an old family type chemist shop, they may have some.

The Following User Says Thank You to inholms For This Useful Post:
WildNorth (11-12-2010)
Old 11-12-2010, 05:09 PM   #9
Inactive
(male)

WildNorth HB UserWildNorth HB UserWildNorth HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by inholms View Post
Yes, I think I can help. I get this horrid thing from time to time. I'm pretty certain it's a deep seated fungi infection. I've tried most things like you, none of them worked and it kept coming back. Then I found an old remedy, Whitfields ointment. 6% benzoic acid and 3% salicyilic acid. Stings like hell! but apply it all over your balls and rectum area, twice a day and after about a week it clears up. After that a good coating every few days. It's the only thing I have found which works. It's difficult to get hold of, you need to find an old family type chemist shop, they may have some.
Ok, I've written this info down. The "stings like hell" parts scares me a bit, but if what I'm doing now doesn't pan out, I'll give it a try. If anyone else up here trys sooner, please post results.........good or bad.

Old 11-15-2010, 03:41 AM   #10
(male)

NowWhatDoIDo HB User
Is there anyway we can start up an online support group for this? I am surrounded by women who at the very mention of this seem to go into an even worse panic mode than me. I keep getting these two conficting messages "Trust me, tell me, lean on me" and "Oh **** I am so scared/grossed out/don't know what to do." I figure I should just stop putting myself through that roller coster and lean on men but I feel like such a attention whoring cry baby. But I truly believe that finding healthy coping mechanisms for stress is %50 of the battle but with out it the other %50 (raw organic vegan diet, mediation and organic coffee enemas once a week) will make me healthier then I have ever been but I cannot make it there if everytime I absolutely have to reach out to some one the only one there is my woman of a father and actual women.

I just started thinking that I might not be able to get rid of this or I might infect my GF with this and I started falling into a void. I have come on here to get it out.

My inststines have always been week from stress and I can feel this thing in my blood vessels in my hands. a little bubble that formed on my hands from working with a shovel wont heal to a scab quickly. My stomach wont relax, my whole body is tense. And the non-refundable ticket back to NY is already purchased. I wish I could just be a monk for ten years living in the hills at high altitudes eating a miraculously healing diet and healing my body with my mind, but my poor GF...

edit: This emotional roller coaster, I am sorry.

My red scrotum syndrome is gone but now I dealing with lack of blood sugar and "die off" symtoms, basically what happens to your blood when the candida yeast dies off in massive amounts. Body is sort of going into light shock which is basically thick blood, cold extremities, complete lack of a shiver reflex and then I had a huge hystamine reaction; basically I was feeling really really hungry no matter what I ate. The Claritin D helped with that...

Long walks really help too. I am pretty sure that this thing is still effecting my prostate though because I have to pee all the time. I am going to look into some herbal remedies like Prosvent, Black Walnut skin tincture (which has done wonders for my adult cystic acne before and stomach problems before).

There is so much hope. I just wish I didn't have to do this alone, you know.

Grace and Peace (Chill and Relax)

Extra Virgin Organic Coconut Butter is only like $17 for a big tub and it will give you all the temporary relief you will need with out any side effects and you can even eat it raw to coat your stomach or use it to cook your food.

Bolthouse Carrot Juice is an Amazing and Relaxing source of Vitamin A and a sweet taste that you can appreciate once you go on a sugar diet. It's like $4 about or cheaper at places like walmart or in bult.

Last edited by Mod-S4; 10-18-2011 at 09:54 PM. Reason: Posts merged.

The following user gives a hug of support to NowWhatDoIDo:
joesinla (02-05-2011)
Old 11-15-2010, 08:48 PM   #11
(male)

AdamN HB User

For the past 6 months I've suffered from a lot of the same symptoms previously mentioned.

My scrotum isn't very itchy, but its constantly warm and moist and is very rarely tight (like when you get cold). It is constantly red with well defined borders. The head of my penis became sort of wrinkly looking, and upon closer examination revealed tiny little bumps here and there. There are good days and bad days, but my scrotum is constantly red. I used antibiotics and anti-fungals as prescribed, to no avail. After doing some reading I'm going to give the Candida diet a shot, I figure getting healthy is the worst that can happen. I have a terrible diet with plenty of coffee, alcohol, and sugars (University student, give me a break).

Honestly, I'm relieved that I can now put a name to this problem I have. I had no idea what it was, and whether it would ever leave. The next step is fighting it off. I'll admit I have been depressed over it before, but I do my best to keep it out of mind. My greatest fear was that it could somehow affect my ability to have kids when I'm older.

There seems to be a great support network here, and I look forward to sharing my progress (hopefully) with you all.

The following user gives a hug of support to AdamN:
NowWhatDoIDo (11-15-2010)
The Following User Says Thank You to AdamN For This Useful Post:
NowWhatDoIDo (11-15-2010)
Old 11-16-2010, 09:36 PM   #12
(male)

NowWhatDoIDo HB User

I have been feeling nerve pain from my pointer finger through my bicept and my shoulder and started through a complex thought proccess to think about B12 deficincies. Google searching [candida b12 folic acid] led me to this Dr talking about Molybdenum. If you google [Molybdenum Candida Cooter] the second link would be good reading. I found scrotum relief from Candida Diet but many other problems came from it.

The second step for any one suffering from this Red Scrotum Syndrome should, after he has purchased a nice tub of organic extra virgin coconut butter, should be to find a Support Group and be devout and serious about dealing with stress. Then start improving your diet.

Old 01-12-2011, 09:46 PM   #13
(male)

guest11 HB User

I think I have a pretty good answer for what this problem(s) is.

For my case my Dr. finally had the idea to test my thyroid levels and found out I had Hashimoto's a that causes Hypothyroid (not producing enough of what it should be for some reason). Skin problems are very common with thyroid problems and one in particular, dermatitis herpetiformis is linked to this. Having you scrotum red and irritated isn't a standard symptom of thyroid or herpetiformis dermatitis, but that is probably because no one has made the link. I use bactroban to keep the area under control so you could say I'm somewhat cured, things are pretty normal most of the time. My Dr. put me on Bactrim which immediately knocked out the problem for me, but unfortunately I am allergic to sulfa based medicine so I could not complete the treatment (only on it for 6 days) and it slowly creeped back in after I stopped taking it. However, I'm looking into dapsone which has a different composition that I may not be allergic too.

So get your thyroid checked out, it is under detected by many doctors and could explain your problem.

If your thyroid is fine then you might be allergic to Gluten. For all those people doing the Candida diet, that is essentially cutting out gluten, so it makes sense why you would see a correlation between the two.

Anyway here are some links I found that might help.

dermnetnz.org/systemic/thyroid.html

Last edited by moderator2; 01-22-2011 at 09:21 AM. Reason: please do not post commercial websites

The Following User Says Thank You to guest11 For This Useful Post:
dcmprew (08-29-2012)
Old 01-12-2011, 10:43 PM   #14
(male)

NowWhatDoIDo HB User

Yeah, Gluten has caused me problems and caused me this RSS problem after some food poisoning. Gluten and it;s relation to Crohn's Disease has been linked to E.Coli Bacteria latching on to ulcers in the intestines. It's all related. You have One Body. Many parts. It's all related. Good contribution, Guest 11.

Last edited by moderator2; 01-22-2011 at 09:21 AM.

Old 01-14-2011, 05:10 PM   #15
(male)

hinjibub HB User

I possibly have the CURE for many of you. Not all of you. But certainly some.

Read my post - red scrotum syndrome cure.

b.

Closed Thread