It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Men's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2011, 12:55 PM   #1
(male)

Haritec HB User
Help interpreting LH, FSH, Testosterone

Hello

51 yr old male - testosterone on low end of scale - LH high middle - FSH low end of scale.

Total Testosterone 13.9 range (8.0 to 29.0) nmol/L
Free Testosterone 274 range (175 - 700) pmol/L
BioAvail Testosterone 5.7 range (4.0 to 16.0) nmol/L

LH 6 range 1-9 (don't know units -sorry)
FSH 3 range 1 - 18 (again don't know units)

How do I interpret these results? If both LH and FSH were low I would think the problem is with pituitary - but since LH is in a good place - does this mean low testosterone is testicular ?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-11-2011, 01:05 PM   #2
(male)

MrTx HB User
Re: Help interpreting LH, FSH, Testosterone

Yep, testicles are probably not responding well to the LH as well as they used to. You could take an SERM and it might boost it a little, but probably will need to go on T to really see much difference. Just know that once you start, the chances of your own HTPA functioning again is pretty low at your age.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-11-2011, 01:17 PM   #3
(male)

Haritec HB User

thanks for the reply.

Is that the right range for LH - I read somewhere else the range is 2 - 18 and your LH and FSH should be about the same.

My GP is pushing me to get on T creme - my naturopath wants me to do additional tests including prolactin, E2, T3, T4. I should have those results in a few days - going in tomorrow.

IF LH and FSH are OK - is this a case where human chorionic gonadotropin and chlomid might help to kickstart things ? Is that what an SERM is - sorry I don't know the definition but will have googled it before you respond .

Thanks again - nice to not feel alone in this. Been feeling physically like crap even though I work out and am generally healthy - it sucks to think I will need to be on meds for life to deal with it.

Old 05-11-2011, 02:07 PM   #4
(male)

MrTx HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haritec View Post
thanks for the reply.

Is that the right range for LH - I read somewhere else the range is 2 - 18 and your LH and FSH should be about the same.

My GP is pushing me to get on T creme - my naturopath wants me to do additional tests including prolactin, E2, T3, T4. I should have those results in a few days - going in tomorrow.

IF LH and FSH are OK - is this a case where human chorionic gonadotropin and chlomid might help to kickstart things ? Is that what an SERM is - sorry I don't know the definition but will have googled it before you respond .

Thanks again - nice to not feel alone in this. Been feeling physically like crap even though I work out and am generally healthy - it sucks to think I will need to be on meds for life to deal with it.
All labs have different reference ranges. Quest seems to have pretty conservative ranges, while LabCorp seems to have a much wider range on some things. What matters is what you feel like.

It looks like FSH might be a bit low but LH seems pretty normal or high normal to me. Using an SERM (like tamoxifen or clomid) and/or HCG might help you increase testosterone a little, but if your testes don't respond well (it appears they don't given the low T and high-normal LH) then the difference may not be noticeable.

Personally, I'd rather take a shot of T once a week than feel like crap. Increased energy, lower bodyfat, higher libido, more muscle, etc is well worth the 3 minutes it takes to give yourself the shot. If you can get 100mg/week, that would put you in the high-normal range for most of the week. The difference would be night and day for you.

Old 05-11-2011, 02:18 PM   #5
(male)

Haritec HB User

Thanks again.

My doctor recommended androgel cream (5mg). Is that going to be enough to do anything ?

With the T shots - I thought one of the issues was testicle shrinkage. Is it better to take Chlomid or HCG even if you are on the T shots ?

I agree - I will take the shots rather than feel like this. It has been frustrating to keep working out and not see any effects - most likely due to low T and HGH.

Any thoughts on what can be done to up-regulate the HGH. I read that lactic acid producing exercises are best for increasing HGH - so am starting to add in hill sprints.

Old 05-11-2011, 02:35 PM   #6
(male)

MrTx HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haritec View Post
Thanks again.

My doctor recommended androgel cream (5mg). Is that going to be enough to do anything ?

With the T shots - I thought one of the issues was testicle shrinkage. Is it better to take Chlomid or HCG even if you are on the T shots ?

I agree - I will take the shots rather than feel like this. It has been frustrating to keep working out and not see any effects - most likely due to low T and HGH.

Any thoughts on what can be done to up-regulate the HGH. I read that lactic acid producing exercises are best for increasing HGH - so am starting to add in hill sprints.
Both testosterone shots and t cream will cause shrinkage to the same degree. They both stop lh and fsh production. 5 gram (I hope its not mg) t cream will probably work somewhat, but not nearly as good as the shot. Plus you will need to use it every day. It's also not as consistent as the shot is.

You can use hcg to keep shrinkage from happening, but clomid will have little effect while using exogenous t.

Hgh probably won't go up much with exercise of any kind if you are already physical. T can actually increase Hgh by itself though, so you may find Hgh creep up once you start taking the t cream or shots.

Closed Thread