It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Men's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2012, 11:22 PM   #1
(male)

discoflavor HB User
24 year old male with ZERO sex drive and brain fog

Hey guys,

I've posted on here before a couple years ago for the same issue, but it was never solved. A lot has happened since then, so I figured I'd try again using the new information and see if anyone can help.

I'm currently 24, but my trouble dates back to when I was 17. I'll start from the beginning.

At 17, I noticed that for some strange reason, I was losing my sex drive. It was subtle at first, declining at an almost unnoticeable rate over the course of probably about two years, but by the time I was 19, my sex drive was totally gone, and still is to this day.

Also at 19, I started to notice I was having some difficulty thinking. My short memory recall got significantly worse, to the point where I have trouble responding to the question "What did you do earlier today?" because it takes me a while to remember. I also have a lot of trouble keeping multiple things in memory at once, like for example, if I were to write an essay. It's very difficult for me to prove a point, because as soon as I try to think about an example that proves an argument, I've forgotten what argument I was trying to prove. And then when I remember the argument, I forgotten the example. It's like my brain can no longer keep things close in the background. This issue has only gotten worse since then.

Between when I was 17 and now, I've seen what seems like every doctor in the world:

1) They thought I might be depressed. (I'm not. I'm a very positive person, and my outlook on life is great.) A psychiatrist prescribed me antidepressants "just to see" and after taking them for several months with no difference, I stopped.

2) They thought I had erectile disfunction. (I don't. I get erections fine.) They had me do a series of tests and finally admitted that this wasn't my problem.

3) They thought I had a pituitary tumor. I had an MRI, and they didn't find anything, but they told me to take Cabergoline for a while "just to see if it helps" in case I had a micro-adenoma. I did, but still no change.

4) They thought I might have Lyme disease. I was tested for it and it came back negative, but just to be sure, I took several months worth of different kinds of antibiotics. I saw no improvement, however an interesting thing to note is that I was not able to tolerate many of the antibiotics. Most notably, I could not tolerate minocycline (it made me feel like my head was buzzing, almost like I was detached from my body, and made it so difficult to think straight that I had to take days off work), which is strange because I took a full year's worth of minocycline when I was 15 for acne without any trouble at all. Which brings me to my next point:

5) I thought I might have a candida problem from the antibiotics. I went on a candida diet and obeyed it strictly for 3 months. I ate zero sugar, and loaded my diet with kefir and probiotics. Unfortunately, I saw absolutely no improvement whatsoever.

Among and in between these tests, I've had 3 MRIs, a PET Scan, an EEG, Neuropsychiatric testing, and lab work of all kinds. The only significant results were:

1) The neuropsych testing report said they noticed abnormal slowness is word recall, decreased short term memory, as well as slowed motor skills (they had me push a button with one finger as fast as I could, and apparently it wasn't fast enough).

2) My testosterone is frequently (but not always) relatively low, at around 170. Every now and again, I've seen it as high as 500, but I don't notice any change in my symptoms even then.

3) My prolactin as nearly always around 20, which is sightly out of the normal range on the high end. If this were causing my trouble, though, the cabergoline should have fixed the problem when I was taking it, but it didn't.

I think my low testosterone and high prolactin are symptoms of SOMETHING, but I can't figure out what, and it's really starting to get to me. I'm ready to be healthy again.

Please help if you can...

Thank you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2012, 12:31 PM   #2
(male)

SENSEI J HB User
Re: 24 year old male with ZERO sex drive and brain fog

There's many different reasons why you are suffering with low desire and brain fog. At age 24 you should be at the peak age in terms of free testosterone, so you're libido and concentration should be at it's best.

I would say the best years for testosterone production in most guys is between age 18 and 35, after age 35 there is a slow drop in libido but still not noticeable until early 40's, so at age 24 you yourself should not be suffering as you are, you are too young. You should still have about 20 years of a strong sex drive.

So you have to ask yourself a few questions: 1. Do you exercise enough and do you get enough sleep? daily exercise increases testosterone and sleeping also helps.

2. Do you drink a lot of alcohol and smoke? Drinking alcohol converts testosterone into estradiol (the female hormone) which in turn will make you lose sex drive. Smoking causes a restriction in blood flow to the penis causing erectile dysfunction and will obviously mess with your mind when that happens.

3. Do you eat a lot of sugary foods or in drinks? A lot of Sugar decreases testosterone.

4. Do you eat any Soy? Soy increases estrogen in males and decreases testosterone

5. Are you under any stress? Stress increases the chemical cortisol and that in turn suppresses testosterone, so try reducing stress.

6. Are you eating enough animal fats? Animal fats like red meat, eggs, milk, butter helps testosterone

7. Are you getting enough Vitamin D? Vitamin D has been shown to increase testosterone. Cod liver oil is a good source of Vitamin D which you can buy from a healthstore.

8. Do you consume any herbs and spices with foods? Supplementing your diet with herbs and spices that are used in Asian cooking and medicine have been shown to increase testosterone and have an "aphrodisiac" effect these include: Garlic, Onions, Cardamom (the seeds are best in tea or coffee), Ginger powder (best in tea or coffee), Cinnamon (again best in tea or coffee) Basil, Cumin seed, Saffron, Garam Masala, Red chillies, Oregano.

Some of those herbs and spices reduce estrogen too. Let's face it you don't see a lack of population in Pakistan or India, they swear by these for not just better tasting food but as aphrodisiacs, take time experiment with them and be patient, they won't work overnight but trust me you will notice a difference over a couple of weeks.

If you follow all what I have typed then you will get yourself on the road to recovery, it's worked amazingly for me as I drank too much alcohol and it had a huge impact on my body, good luck and feel great soon.

John.

Last edited by SENSEI J; 09-09-2012 at 01:01 PM.

Old 10-01-2012, 03:15 AM   #3
(male)

discoflavor HB User

Trust me, I've covered all those bases a hundred times over.

1) I'm a runner. I run 3-4 days a week and go to the gym twice a week. I also make a point of getting 8 hours of sleep a night.

2) I rarely have more than a single glass of alcohol in a day (if that), and no, I don't smoke.

3) Years ago I watched a lecture given by an endocrinologist about the horribly negative effects of excess sugar on the body. It scared me straight. I've been eating a diet free of all processed sugar for quite a long time, and I make a point of eating less than 30 grams of sugar a day.

4) I don't avoid soy, but it's not a regular part of my diet.

5) I love my job. I find it stimulating and rewarding, and I look forward to going to work in the morning. I develop software for a startup, so it's a very relaxed and friendly environment, and my stress level is low, outside of me HATING living with whatever's wrong with me.

6) I drink whole milk and eat cheese daily, I love red meat (though I try to limit it to twice a week), and I eat eggs for breakfast every other day.

7) My vitamin D levels are consistently low on lab tests. I don't know why, but I take 2000iu every morning to try and help it back up.

8) I use all, save for a couple of those spices on a regular basis. I love ginger so much, I sometimes eat it in the raw.

So now you see my issue. I've literally changed everything in my entire life to fit the ideal recommendations in attempts to cure myself, and none of it has worked. I'm at a total loss, and it brings me to the point of tears, because I'm just so helpless.

I need answers so bad...

Old 10-01-2012, 03:17 AM   #4
(male)

discoflavor HB User

Trust me, I've covered all those bases a hundred times over.

1) I'm a runner. I run 3-4 days a week and go to the gym twice a week. I also make a point of getting 8 hours of sleep a night.

2) I rarely have more than a single glass of alcohol in a day (if that), and no, I don't smoke.

3) Years ago I watched a lecture given by an endocrinologist about the horribly negative effects of excess sugar on the body. It scared me straight. I've been eating a diet free of all processed sugar for quite a long time, and I make a point of eating less than 30 grams of other sugars a day.

4) I don't avoid soy, but it's not a regular part of my diet.

5) I love my job. I find it stimulating and rewarding, and I look forward to going to work in the morning. I develop software for a startup, so it's a very relaxed and friendly environment, and my stress level is low, outside of me HATING living with whatever is wrong with me.

6) I drink whole milk and eat cheese daily, I love red meat (though I try to limit it to twice a week), and I eat eggs for breakfast every other day.

7) My vitamin D levels are consistently low on lab tests. I don't know why, but I take 2000iu every morning to try and help compensate.

8) I use all, save for a couple of those spices on a regular basis. I love ginger so much, I sometimes eat it in the raw.

So now you see my issue. I've literally changed everything in my entire life to fit the ideal recommendations in an attempt to cure myself, and none of it has worked. I'm at a total loss, and it brings me to the point of tears, because I'm just so helpless.

I need answers so bad...

Old 10-09-2012, 03:08 PM   #5
(male)

Bercy HB User

Has your endocronologist checked you out for insulin resistance?

Old 10-10-2012, 02:46 AM   #6
(male)

discoflavor HB User

I had a fasting glucose response test. The results came back normal. I'm not sure if that's the same test as the one for insulin resistance... but then again, I'm not entirely sure what insulin resistance is. Is that the same thing as type II diabetes? If so, I'm all good on that front.

I do have reactive hypoglycemia though, which is a strange problem where if I eat something with any sugar or simple carbs, I get a horrible blood sugar crash about two hours later that will take me to the point of passing out unless I eat more food to counteract it. That's why I avoid sugar at all costs and make sure to always eat whole grains.

Old 10-10-2012, 03:10 AM   #7
(male)

Bercy HB User

That sugar spike after eating and the overwhelming urge to sleep is exactly what insulin resistance is. You can have normal fasting blood glucose levels, and can still be insulin resistant. All it means is that your body is not utilizing glucose effectivly because the cells have become resistant to insulin. As a result, your pancreas pumps out more insulin, thus the spike. It is a pre-diabetic condition that eventually will turn to Type 2 diabetes. And yes, the test is different that a blood glucose test.

I had a similar lack of desire like you. It was only after I visited an endocronologist, had insulin levels measured (different from glucose levels), that I was diagnosed. Some of the symptoms of IR are lack of/decreased sex drive and brain fog, but I must stress, that many other conditions can cause the same symptoms and it is not a good idea to self diagnose.

I am on oral medication. Has it helped me? Well, somehwat. It is much better than before but still could improve. As it has only been 4 months since I began the metformin medication, my endo says to give it time.

Worth checking out. Worst you lose is a visit to the endocronologist and some lab work. If you are insulin resistant, the oral medication metformin is not without side effects, mainly gastro-intestinal and headaches for the first few months. And it does take a few months for the full effect to kick in.

Good luck. I am not a doctor and every individual is different. Only a qualified doctor can make a diagnosis of insulin resistance. Google it and see if the symptoms are close to yours.

Old 10-27-2012, 09:34 PM   #8
(male)

obsvproof HB User

Could you tell us if you have desires for women, do you have a girlfriend, and do you masturbate?

Old 11-18-2012, 01:25 AM   #9
(male)

pete9071 HB User

Do you consume lots of fish? I have been fed a can of tuna light everyday since the age of 10 for my lunch and I've noticed that I have had similar symptoms to what you have and they have continued to gradually get worse over time. I have found it difficult to sleep, experienced exaggerated nervousness in social situations for no reason whatsoever, had a very low sex drive, felt tired all the time, had difficulty concentrating, had an inability to retrieve information when asked questions, had a gradual decline in motivation, had difficulty speaking and forming sentences as easily and found that my interests/things that used to make me feel happy in the past don't seem to as much anymore.

In the past month I've basically cut out all fish out of my diet and I'm starting to feel some of the symptoms reversing. My morning erections are starting to come back, which I guess is a sign that my T levels are starting to return to normal, my energy levels are slightly higher, my depression seems to have slipped off a little and my ability to think fast seems to be getting better.

I've been trying to self diagnose myself as to what has been going on in my body and I think over the years mercury from the tuna has been gradually building up in my brain and messing with my endocrine system by settling around my pituitary gland and preventing the release of the hormones like testosterone. I had my T levels measured just before I stopped eating tuna btw and they came back as 59pg/ml (45pg/ml - 180pg/ml), which is low-normal for my age, so hopefully I've guessed right. I'll update you guys in a few months after I get them checked again to see if I've just been experiencing a placebo effect or not.

Judging from what symptoms you've mentioned and your health and fitness lifestyle, I reckon you might have a similar thing going on. How much fish do you eat per week?

Old 11-18-2012, 02:47 PM   #10
(male)

obsvproof HB User

disco: perhaps you can clear up something for me-you state that you were able to have an erection under a dr's testing, which means that physiologically you're fine. How did you achieve it there? This question is crucial, since you don't have an organic problem and all the tests confirmed that. Can you have an erection now under some circumstances (I'm referring to masturbation with fantasy), or is it that you find yourself unwilling to go the "extra effort" to have sex with a woman? The answer will narrow down the direction for a possible solution. The point is to find out where your libido goes after the initial erection.

Old 11-24-2012, 02:50 PM   #11
(male)

medo84 HB User

hey discoflavor , i know your feelings i am in some kind of the same thing and it kills me aside of mind fog almost got me killed , my 2 cents did you ever made karyotype test ? (AkA chromosomes / genes test) imho you have some thing related with your chromosomes structure . its not costty to make such test but its sometime hurting to see the results of that test ,in the end i wish you good luck fixing your life as i am fighting too to get it fixed best wishes

Old 12-05-2012, 02:20 AM   #12
(male)

discoflavor HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete9071 View Post
Do you consume lots of fish? I have been fed a can of tuna light everyday since the age of 10 for my lunch and I've noticed that I have had similar symptoms to what you have and they have continued to gradually get worse over time. I have found it difficult to sleep, experienced exaggerated nervousness in social situations for no reason whatsoever, had a very low sex drive, felt tired all the time, had difficulty concentrating, had an inability to retrieve information when asked questions, had a gradual decline in motivation, had difficulty speaking and forming sentences as easily and found that my interests/things that used to make me feel happy in the past don't seem to as much anymore.

In the past month I've basically cut out all fish out of my diet and I'm starting to feel some of the symptoms reversing. My morning erections are starting to come back, which I guess is a sign that my T levels are starting to return to normal, my energy levels are slightly higher, my depression seems to have slipped off a little and my ability to think fast seems to be getting better.

I've been trying to self diagnose myself as to what has been going on in my body and I think over the years mercury from the tuna has been gradually building up in my brain and messing with my endocrine system by settling around my pituitary gland and preventing the release of the hormones like testosterone. I had my T levels measured just before I stopped eating tuna btw and they came back as 59pg/ml (45pg/ml - 180pg/ml), which is low-normal for my age, so hopefully I've guessed right. I'll update you guys in a few months after I get them checked again to see if I've just been experiencing a placebo effect or not.

Judging from what symptoms you've mentioned and your health and fitness lifestyle, I reckon you might have a similar thing going on. How much fish do you eat per week?

This is really interesting. I'd love for you to keep me posted on what you find.

I don't eat an extraordinary amount of fish, but I do eat some. Maybe 3 days a week?

Old 12-05-2012, 02:25 AM   #13
(male)

discoflavor HB User
Smile Re: 24 year old male with ZERO sex drive and brain fog

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsvproof View Post
disco: perhaps you can clear up something for me-you state that you were able to have an erection under a dr's testing, which means that physiologically you're fine. How did you achieve it there? This question is crucial, since you don't have an organic problem and all the tests confirmed that. Can you have an erection now under some circumstances (I'm referring to masturbation with fantasy), or is it that you find yourself unwilling to go the "extra effort" to have sex with a woman? The answer will narrow down the direction for a possible solution. The point is to find out where your libido goes after the initial erection.
The doctor tested sleep erections. They have a machine that does it. I know there's nothing wrong with my vascular system because physically I still get them sometime, but NEVER as a result of sexual stimulation. Always random.

I assume that if I had any kind of sexual fantasy I could easily get an erection, but my libido is at zero. Literally rock bottom. Gorgeous girls pass by and I couldn't care less. I've turned down girls' offers before because I just don't care, and it really makes me sad that I feel this way. I'm wasting my 20's.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:46 AM   #14
(male)

CQwerty HB User

I have a similar problem. 24, loss of memory (which used to be great), brain fog and low libido.

Are there any news, discoflavor?

Old 02-05-2013, 10:35 AM   #15
(male)

discoflavor HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CQwerty View Post
I have a similar problem. 24, loss of memory (which used to be great), brain fog and low libido.

Are there any news, discoflavor?
Unfortunately after all the years spent searching for an answer, all the doctors seen and all the treatments tried, I'm still no closer to solving this problem than I was 7 years ago. I'm in it for long haul though, and will definitely post anything new I go as it comes along. My latest attempt was taking Vitex, as I'd read about someone with similar symptoms having positive results with it. Needless to say, it didn't work.

Closed Thread

Tags
brain fog, libido in men, prolactin, testoserone