It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Men's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2012, 03:00 PM   #1
(male)

SteelyNirvana HB User
Are these Testosterone levels normal?

Hi, new member here. A little about me, I'm a 31yr old white male, around 230lbs. I haven't been to a Doctor in years, had to go a few weeks ago due running a fever one night and joint pain that had been lingering for two years, if not more. Turns out after being put on amoxicillin that that is more than likely due to a tooth that has been broken off since 2004 or 05.

Anyway, while I was there I mentioned to the Dr. that I haven't had much of a sex drive for the past four years or so. I can still get an erection but the last few years of my late 20's I've started having problems with premature ejaculation and staying focused. Honestly, I'd rather be reading a book or working on something outside than having sex. In the span of four years I've had several girlfriends and now have a wife and this is causing problems in my marriage. Seems like from the time I was 13 til around 25-26 I had a very hyper sex drive, couldn't get enough of it and it's slowly and continues to diminish as time goes on.

I had the Dr. test my testosterone and these are the levels I got back:

Testosterone, Total 350.05 (10-70ng/dl) H
Testosterone, Free 79.9 (0.6-6.8 pg/mL) H
Testosterone, % Free 2.3 (0.4-2.4 %)
Sex Hormone Binding Globulin 26 (18-114 nmol/L)

She also did a bunch of other test and other than my "Good" cholesterol being a tad high, she said I was healthy. Said the testosterone levels are normal but from the chart she showed me, they did appear on the low side. She is leaning towards I am depressed and the depression is causing the low sex drive. Now, I do suffer from depression, have since I was a teenager. Actually was diagnosed with Bi-Polar Type II in 2010. I've been down the route of the meds and I don't want to go back on them. I've been in a downward swing before in my teens and early 20's and still had all the go I wanted. She wants to start me on Abilify, I dis-agree with her its the depression and I think my testosterone levels are on the low side even though they are in the normal.

I'd like to hear some opinions on this if anyone would be kind enough to respond. I'm leaning towards getting a second opinion by another Dr. but would like to hear what some opinions before I go that route.

Thanks in Advance

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-20-2012, 08:02 AM   #2
(male)

KayakGuy HB User
Re: Are these Testosterone levels normal?

First, welcome! There are a lot of guys on here with a lot of experience.

Yes, your total T levels are at the low end of the range for most tests. The range you give after the T number doesn't seem right. Most US labs have a low end somewhere in the 200s or 300s. At your age you should be much higher, in the 600s to 900s.

There are a number of possible reasons for low T. The first step is to find out why your T is so low. You need to have a number of other things checked out. If you read through some of the older posts you will see guys listing various tests and causes.

Here's my experience: I was diagnosed with low T in my later 40's. As soon as my PCP diagnosed me he wanted to use Androgel. I tried it briefly but it was messy, a nuisance, and at the 5g per day level, ineffective, so I found a doc experienced in treating low T. He first treated me with Clomid for several years which increased my natural T production. After a while that wasn't enough so he switched me to injectable T, which brings my levels up to the 700s and 800s.

Any T product (gel, shots, etc.) can shut down your testes which can cause infertility. At your age this is important to know. Injections of hcg along with T products can keep your testes functioning. Also, adding T can also raise your E2 levels which can bring on other problems. Testing T levels should include E2 testing. E2 can be reduced with AI (aromatase inhibitors) such as Arimidex. Overall it can be quite complicated which is why you need a doc experienced in treating low T. In the long run, it's worth it. Some guys find that when they get their T to good levels their depression improves. Good luck and keep us posted.

Closed Thread