It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Men's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2013, 07:22 PM   #1
(male)

Will488 HB User
Unhappy 25, Drs insist on single-hormone TRT, concerned about fertility

Howdy all. I've posted about this before, but let me give a slightly updated and shortened version.

I'm 25 and have had mild ED since I was about 21-22. I've had frequent sinus infections and tonsil infections since I was 15. At 22, I had my tonsils out and a few months later, I started having anxiety issues. I don't think the tonsillectomy is related.
Anyway, I put up with the mild ED and the difficulty focusing, etc, and Lat January, I started feeling faint and getting black fuzz around my vision when I stood up quickly. I also felt very weak and sort of unconcerned with my own life.

I'm a student, so I worked through my school's health center for most things. I got my Testosterone tested along with hematocrit and whatnot.
My initial testosterone level was 328, then the next one came in at 140, then 200 or so. These were all low, so I got referred to an endocrinologist - but with a six month wait for an appointment.

The first one didn't want to treat me with anything and told me my T levels were low-ish but fine. He muttered to himself that maybe I had low pituitary function. (Dr. Dyron Jue in San Jose, CA). He had a bad attitude and didn't want to give me anything. I talked him into T-cypionate IM. The only thing he said might be to blame was my weight. I used to bodybuild and I'm big for my size, but have about 18% body fat and didn't feel any better the year before when I had been 20 lbs lighter.

My second endo said that my weight was irrelevant. She put me on IM T-cyp every 10, and most recently every 7 days. I was testing at 250 (normal 350-1100) at the end of my 10-day cycle.
She tested my pituitary hormones and everything came back normal.
My FSH and LH were both smack in the middle of the range, despite the low testosterone.

I haven't seen anyone for a few months, and just qualified for county medical insurance (I'm a broke student) so hopefully I can do something about it now.
There are no local Endos, but there are two local urology offices. The urologist office said that they only take cases with my insurance if the doctor is interested in the case.

I've had a sinus infection for the last 4 months that won't go away despite being on 4 different antibiotics for about 3 months on and off (1 month of sulfamethoxazole/TMP continuously)
I'm having a head CT for the sinus infections tomorrow morning. I'm hoping it will also show my pituitary, but I'm not holding my breath.

So far, I haven't been able to get any doctor to do more than tell me that Clomid is not approved for use in men and is therefore unsafe. As a student, I have access to a lot of journals, and I've found numerous studies that involve 100-200 men taking clomid for a year. I even found one that had men who had taken it for FIVE YEARS with no negative side effects.

I'm 25, and my fertility is very very important to me. I've aspired to having a family since I was 15.

How do I get these doctors to consider letting me use Clomid or HCG?
How did anyone out there on clomid make it happen? I'm in California, about 90 miles south of Oregon, and I can switch doctors if necessary.

Is an Endocrinologist the best option? They don't seem to be the most well-versed, even though the one I saw most recently is from UC Berkeley via telehealth video-conferencing.

If I don't get to see either local urologist, then what? Who do I bribe to get some meds that won't make me infertile? The last time I spoke with the endo, she told me that I should just stop taking the testosterone therapy for a 6-12 months and see if my T-production improves over that time.

Lastly, does anyone know anything about chronic sinusitis causing Low Testosterone? One sinus (sphigmoid?) is separated from the pituitary by a few millimeters of bone and membranes, etc.
I started the injections in July and got consistent with them in September. I'm almost at 6 months of injections, and I feel like I'm between a rock (infertility) and a hard place (going back to no treatment with whatever atrophy I've had since I started).

How do I deal with these unwilling Drs.? I'm about to order clomid online and dose myself if nothing else works.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread