It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Men's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2013, 05:44 PM   #1
(male)

lowTinIllinois HB User
Testosterone treatment

Was on testosterone gel(1%) 2 tubes a day for 4 months...and didnt see much improvement in libido and testosterone levels got into the low 300s from 160 baseline.(July-Nov)

Anyhow, decided to see an endo and she had me come off the gel for 6 weeks so she could establish baselines on my labwork. After running new set of labs....Testosterone was low again....in the 140s so she now has me on bi monthly Testosterone Cypionate shots now and will re-run labs in early march. Test Cypionate is 200mg/ml concentration and I get 1cc every 2 weeks.(saw her in November, ran labs at end of December, started shots in January)

Reading the forums on here.....it sounds like I need to be patient as it may take a few months before I notice improvement in libido.

So my question is this....I have some testosterone gel left over(from the 6 weeks I was off of it) and am wondering if I should use that along with the inejctions.

On one hand....I'd love to move this process along quicker and begin to feel more like myself. On the other hand.....I dont want to thrown the next lab report off and have my endo think my dosing is too high or too low because I supplemented with the gel.

Any knowledgeable testosterone users here that care to weigh in their thoughts ?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2013, 07:25 AM   #2
(male)

boscot HB Userboscot HB Userboscot HB Userboscot HB Userboscot HB Userboscot HB Userboscot HB User
Re: Testosterone treatment

First welcome to TRT.

Next prior to starting any competent Doc would run complete labs including a MRI of Pit Gland ( possible tumor?) to see if it can be determined why you are low. Just doing a basic test and saying " yes you're low let's put you on shots or gel" is highly suspect.

I would personally find a new Doc who would do the right thing to try to find root cause first. Neither doc you have seems interested to do this.

Second find a doc who treats many with TrT and not just handing out gel or giving a bi-monthly shot. This isn't real TRT

If in fact you do stay on it....l.it will take 6-12 months to get your levels right (art not science) with monthly labs and tweaking the dosage etc. you'll need more stuff than just T also. Bi-monthly shots is old school and indicative of a Doc that doesn't know what they are doing.

Feel free to,ask but you need to start from square one with a good Doc.

Know it been there lived it and till living it

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2013, 12:36 PM   #3
(male)

lowTinIllinois HB User

The endocronologist I'm seeing now....has run a full blood panel and a testicular ultrasound. She said there is nothing in the blood work to suggest that a pit tumor is involved so a MRI of the pituitary isn't necessary. The testicular ultrasound came back normal. She has diagnosed my situation as primary hypogonadism.

As of Jan. 4th she started me on the bi-weekly testosterone injections. We discussed weekly injection and HCG and she wants to see how the first 8 weeks go run blood labs and then make adjustments. Yes the blood panel does test estrogen levels.

The testosterone gel was prescribed by my general and urologist....neither of which seemed interested in figuring out why I was having the problem...just treating it. So I left them, and consulted an endo. She has been much more thorough...and I've been satisfied with tests and the approach she has taken so far.

Last edited by lowTinIllinois; 01-23-2013 at 12:37 PM.

Old 01-23-2013, 02:41 PM   #4
(male)

boscot HB Userboscot HB Userboscot HB Userboscot HB Userboscot HB Userboscot HB Userboscot HB User

Bi weekly is better.....injections are better than gels in my opinion.

Primary means you've had issue since pubitary.....so you never really developed fully? Have you been able to father children?

Most Doc's don't want to invest the time to find cause particularly if they don't feel that can resolve it but only treat it.

Try what she's offering and see what happens after a few months. If working then ask to do self injections via sub-q EOD Also look for HCG on a mult-week basis.

Plan on 6+ months before you feel full effects and get dialed in.

Old 01-23-2013, 04:44 PM   #5
(male)

lowTinIllinois HB User

boscot...thanks for your replies....
i read a lot of your posts today....seems like you have a lot of "life experience" with this, so appreciate your input.

as i understood it...in primary hypogonadism the LH and/or FSH are usually elevated, meaning the problem is in the testicles. secondary would mean the problem is in the brain or pituitary

i was born with only one testicle...one undescended at birth. so at this point...my 1 one remaining testicle is just not producing enough T.

my puberty (as I recall it) occurred on time. body hair, growth spurt, and voice change all occurred pretty much in the 12-16 year old range.

my fsh level is 21.7, normal is 1.6-8.0.
testosterone total is 161. my research on FSH says that number (21.7 high) means there is some sort of testicular failure. i'm 43, never married....so children are not likely to be in my cards. but that FSH number suggests i'd probably have issue with fertitlity if children were a goal of mine.

you seem emphatic about monthly testing, and i think my doctor wanted an 8 week interval. maybe i'll split the difference and go in after 6 weeks and see where the number are

Old 01-28-2013, 08:52 AM   #6
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowTinIllinois View Post
boscot...thanks for your replies....
i read a lot of your posts today....seems like you have a lot of "life experience" with this, so appreciate your input.

as i understood it...in primary hypogonadism the LH and/or FSH are usually elevated, meaning the problem is in the testicles. secondary would mean the problem is in the brain or pituitary

i was born with only one testicle...one undescended at birth. so at this point...my 1 one remaining testicle is just not producing enough T.

my puberty (as I recall it) occurred on time. body hair, growth spurt, and voice change all occurred pretty much in the 12-16 year old range.

my fsh level is 21.7, normal is 1.6-8.0.
testosterone total is 161. my research on FSH says that number (21.7 high) means there is some sort of testicular failure. i'm 43, never married....so children are not likely to be in my cards. but that FSH number suggests i'd probably have issue with fertitlity if children were a goal of mine.

you seem emphatic about monthly testing, and i think my doctor wanted an 8 week interval. maybe i'll split the difference and go in after 6 weeks and see where the number are
I push monthly just because you will see results in labs within a month and most of us are in a hurry to make things happen. 8 weeks or so is fine also. Big issue is everyone reacts differently and what worked for me won't work for you so a competentant Doc will give slowly moving numbers until you reach your sweet spot.

Yes sounds like your primary for sure....I'm secondary as I had no issues until 40+ then I crashed.....LH FSH were in the 1-2 range so not enough signal to Testes to make enough T.

You will feel better when your numbers get up to higer levels.....just monitor E also or it can ruin high T numbers too.

Keep us updated on progress

Feel free to ask questions.

yes been thru this for 5+ years now.....learned it all the HARD WAY Hope to make it easier for others

Cheers.

Lou

Old 02-24-2013, 12:14 PM   #7
(male)

Cubs HB User

Hey LowT,

I am also in Chicago with Low T for several years. I have been using Androgel 1% since about 2008 with little benefits. I recently changed to a new doc and was given a script for Andro 1.62 which seemed to improve my libido, except my DHT levels increased over the ranges. I am now have a high ded insurance plan ($3k) and Androgel 1.62 will cost me about $700 per month. I have asked to switch to shots and was prescribed Test E 100mg 1x per week. The problem is that I have been waiting for about 1 month to get an appointment to get the shot with nothing set up. Dr's office does not call me back and they will not allow me to bring in my prescription cause they said they have to order it from their hospital. I am scared of needles and don't have the courage to self admin yet.

I was curious where is you Dr. located? I am in Evergreen Park, IL (SW suburb of Chgo) and may need to switch to an Endo that cares and is willing to work with me.

Thanks!

Last edited by moderator2; 02-24-2013 at 12:17 PM.

Old 02-24-2013, 12:58 PM   #8
(male)

lowTinIllinois HB User

Hey Cubs,
Welcome to the boards.....
My doctor is in mount prospect. She is younger(30-ish) and female(of course) which most probably wouldnt see about a "male problem"
However, she didnt need a 4 month lead time for an appointment and impressed me with really taking a caring attitude and helping me "find" why I was needing hormone replacement therapy instead of just treating it. Even in treating it, she was open to gel or shots. I had been on testim and it didnt reallly move the "needle" much for me so she agreed to let me do the shots. As you've stated, the gels are great for those who dont enjoy injections....but they definitely cost more so you need to have the right insurance.
So, I'd be willing to share the doctor info if you thought mount prospect was worth your drive time.....I'd guess it would be an hour ride from where you are at, but if it is in the interest of better health care.....why not ?

Old 03-03-2013, 12:12 PM   #9
(male)

Cubs HB User

LowT

Thx for your reply!

Yes, Mt Prospect would be a haul for me, but would be willing to keep the name handy of your Dr. just in case.

I went to see a female Endo out of UIC and saw in her profile that she specializes in Low T, but wanted me to take a shot of Test C every 3 weeks. From what I hear that is not recommended due to the roller coaster effect. I kind of ran out the office when I heard that. Don't think I will be back.

For now I will keep my Loyola Endo who seems to want to work with he. The issue I was having is that the staff took 1 month to get me scheduled for the shot. My Endo's office finally called me an finally gave me an injection last week. Dr. wanted me on 200 Mg of Test E twice a week. I told him to give me Test E 100mg once a week and he had no problem with that. He switched me from Androgel 1% to Androgel 1.62%, but like I said I have a $3000 ded and cost will be $700 month so switched to injections. He seems to work with me because he orders DHT and E2 when I ask. He will only give me AI if E2 is high. Does not seem to be willing to give HcG, but I have not pushed him. The think I don't like not is that he makes his appointments every 6 months and I would like sooner, at least until I am where I want to be. How often do u see your Endo? She is readily available if u need her to make adjustsments?

Don't feel comfortable discussing Low T with friends or family so I rely on boards like this for support.

Be safe and good luck with your progress.

Last edited by moderator2; 03-03-2013 at 01:30 PM.

Old 03-03-2013, 12:15 PM   #10
(male)

Cubs HB User

Meant to say...Dr. wanted to give me Test E 200 mg once every 2 weeks (EOW).

Old 03-09-2013, 11:24 AM   #11
(male)

lowTinIllinois HB User

If you can get over the hang-up of self injecting....then you can control the dosing schedule. It's really not that bad....no blood involved(just goes into the muscle). a little pinch when you first insert the needle.....but once it is in it's downhill from the hill. It's like one second of pain....are you married ? much less pain than that ;-)

Last edited by moderator2; 03-09-2013 at 11:25 AM.

Old 03-10-2013, 01:33 PM   #12
(male)

Cubs HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowTinIllinois View Post
If you can get over the hang-up of self injecting....then you can control the dosing schedule. It's really not that bad....no blood involved(just goes into the muscle). a little pinch when you first insert the needle.....but once it is in it's downhill from the hill. It's like one second of pain....are you married ? much less pain than that ;-)
I am going to try self injecting. I have weekly appointments and they will start teaching me, hopefully next week.

Does your Endo prescribe AI, HcG?

I know being married can be a pain.......real pain.

Old 03-11-2013, 01:48 PM   #13
(male)

self injecting is only way to go.....

new protocol is Sub-Q both for T-cyp and HCG doing it that way hurts not at all plus allows greater frequency which is key.

Get leveled out on a good schedule and you will find things get much better for you.

Good luck

Closed Thread