It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Men's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2013, 03:09 PM   #1
(male)

digbystills HB User
My genitals really smell bad!

It started over a year ago. At first, it was toward the end of the day, several hours after I showered, and the odor was light and not at all unpleasant, slightly fishy.

About six months ago, about halfway through the day I would notice it and by the end of the day it was not horrible, but obviously increasing. I began to take two showers a day.

The odor has increased terrifically. About an hour after a shower it is noticeable, and before the second shower it is pretty bad. I can smell it through my underwear and jeans. If I don't shower twice in a day, by the end of the day it is unbearable, like rotting fish.

I have tried powder and perfumes. I currently use patchouli oil, the strongest perfume I can think of, and it barely masks it, and that for only a short time.

What is it, and what can I do about it?!

Last edited by digbystills; 06-19-2013 at 03:11 PM. Reason: spelling error and content

Old 06-24-2013, 05:34 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

cleansweap HB Usercleansweap HB Usercleansweap HB Usercleansweap HB User
Re: My genitals really smell bad!

First question if I might ask. Are you circumcised? If you are not, are you able to pull back your foreskin to reveal the head of your penis? Fishy smells usually comes from a penis with foreskin that won't retract. If you are circumcised and having this odor problem, it could be simply caused by something you are eating or from an infection of some sort. You should go see your doctor if this is the case. Stay away from perfumes! It will just add to your problem. Try washing with a mild soap using a wash cloth. Then after rinsing, use a corn starch. It absorbs odor and moisture. Just a few tips that might help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2013, 08:09 PM   #3
(male)

digbystills HB User
I want my scrotum to stop stinking!

It has been two years since it began. I am 45 years old.

At first it was a slight odor, but now it has become a horrible smell, like rotted fish. It doesn't matter how much I shower, how much I powder, or how much perfume I use (I do all three of these things every day), it still stinks down there.

This is killing my self-esteem and my sex life.

What is wrong with me?! Is there anything I can do?

~TK

Old 07-12-2013, 05:05 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

cleansweap HB Usercleansweap HB Usercleansweap HB Usercleansweap HB User
Re: I want my scrotum to stop stinking!

Are you circumcised? The odor you are describing usual comes from the penis when the foreskin is to tight to pull back and clean around the penis head, or just not being able to properly wash and clean around the head of the penis. Some men just have strong body odor. Have you tried using corn starch after bathing? Make sure your skin is dry, then apply to your scrotum and pubic area/penis. This may help being that the corn starch obsorbes odor as well as to keep you dry. You can find this on the baby isle at your local food store. When all else fail you might want to go see a dermitologist or family doctor.

Old 07-12-2013, 08:33 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

Women get a vaginal infection called bacterial vaginosis that smells like dead fish. Men can get that too. I would see your Dr.and ask about a prescription for Flagyl, an antibiotic that kills the bacteria that causes it. If you are sleeping with anyone who has the same smell, she must be treated simultaneously or you will just pass the infection back and forth. If you are not circumsized, metronidazole gel (Rx) can be used under the foreskin. It is the same medicine used topically.

Old 07-13-2013, 05:38 AM   #6
(male)

digbystills HB User
Re: My genitals really smell bad!

Thank you. I am circumcised, yes. I wash quite often. I have used cornstarch and my doctor told me to use talc. He doesn't have any idea, either.

Old 07-13-2013, 05:42 AM   #7
(male)

digbystills HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybud View Post
Women get a vaginal infection called bacterial vaginosis that smells like dead fish. Men can get that too. I would see your Dr.and ask about a prescription for Flagyl, an antibiotic that kills the bacteria that causes it. If you are sleeping with anyone who has the same smell, she must be treated simultaneously or you will just pass the infection back and forth. If you are not circumsized, metronidazole gel (Rx) can be used under the foreskin. It is the same medicine used topically.
Thank you. I will look into the Flagyl.

Old 07-13-2013, 08:13 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

In the meantime, you might try using a spray powder deodorant that will get to the skin but not create a mess in the hairy sections. If you have any trouble finding one, just ask the pharmacist. The Flagyl (metronidazole-generic) will take the smell away within the week you are on it. No alcohol during that time-it will make you sick with the medication. Worth a trip to the Dr.to get the Rx. Also, be sure you are using an antibacterial soap when you shower.

Last edited by ladybud; 07-13-2013 at 08:14 AM. Reason: added last sentence

Reply Reply