It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2003, 06:52 PM   #1
(male)

gregonzola HB User
Anxiety symptoms:Stuffy head and ears?

For a while now, I have had symptoms that come up when I am anxious or when I have spent too much time around people. It's most obviously anxiety, except that I don't have the typical anxiety symptoms - heart racing, shortness of breath, etc. Instead, what I get is a tight, stuffy head, stuffiness behind the eardrums, and sometimes a sore throat as though there's something stuck down there. I also get more sensitive to stimulation and feel ann overwhelming need to be in the quiet with my eyes closed - away from interaction and stimulation. When I am feeling this and I lay down, I can feel the blood pulsing into my head in huge gushes. Sometimes it feels its pumping so hard it's bouncing my eyes around in their sockets. There's no pain as such, just deep discomfort that gets worse and worse.

Has anyone ever heard of these symptoms associated with anxiety? Or a condition that has these symptoms that can be exacerbated by anxiousness? I would appreciate any input at all. I can't seem to find anyone else with this same condition and I don't know what to do.

Thanks everybody
Greg

Old 11-13-2003, 05:11 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

Redhead23 HB User
Sounds like sinus problems to me, I tend to get them when I'm stressed out, and the stuffy feeling on the other hand then makes me more prone to panic attacks and anxiety.

Inhibited Perfectionist

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-13-2003, 01:05 PM   #3

amym HB User
God thats really weird you said that because at the moment I'm feeling these gushes to the head, on my forehead and at the same time in my chest, a bit like shots of adrenalin, I have also been experiencing sinus probs for a week, which is prob because a virus (start of uni term, cold weather etc) I ve been feeling really dizzy and having horrible headaches. I'm trying not to worry cos I always get sinus trouble but I makes me feel really weird and unable to concentrate - which is making me more anxious because I've got loads to do.

These gushes to the head kind of happen when I become aware of it, like at the mo, but I've had a similar thing with palpitaions for a week once even before I started having really bad panic attacks, these things always happen when I'm stressed. Just try not to worry (I know, easier said than done)

Old 11-13-2003, 01:29 PM   #4
(male)

gregonzola HB User
Yeah - It's like my heart is pumping only to my brain. And I know what you mean about the anxiety making the head worse and then that making the anxiety worse. The problem is that I can't tell whch came first - the anxiety or the head symptoms.

I'm seeing a couple of doctors about the possibility that it might be TMJ Disorder that's causing the symptoms.

Good luck Amy

Greg

Old 11-20-2003, 11:28 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

lori j HB User
Re: Anxiety symptoms:Stuffy head and ears?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregonzola
Yeah - It's like my heart is pumping only to my brain. And I know what you mean about the anxiety making the head worse and then that making the anxiety worse. The problem is that I can't tell whch came first - the anxiety or the head symptoms.

I'm seeing a couple of doctors about the possibility that it might be TMJ Disorder that's causing the symptoms.

Good luck Amy

Greg
Oh boy, I was just going to write that it might be TMJ. When we are stressed, we tend to grit our teeth, or also grind them in our sleep. I had so many symptoms, had my sinuses cat scanned, had ear soreness, pressure in my head, sore eyes, headache, sore glands etc. After a year and a half they diagnosed it as TMJ from stress. You might be on the right track.

Old 11-20-2003, 11:29 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

lori j HB User

Forgot to say, I also had the lump feeling in my throat, worried & obsessed about that for over a year too, now that I know it's TMJ, the lump sensation is gone. Go figure.

Old 11-24-2003, 07:43 AM   #7
(male)

gregonzola HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lori j
Oh boy, I was just going to write that it might be TMJ. When we are stressed, we tend to grit our teeth, or also grind them in our sleep. I had so many symptoms, had my sinuses cat scanned, had ear soreness, pressure in my head, sore eyes, headache, sore glands etc. After a year and a half they diagnosed it as TMJ from stress. You might be on the right track.
Thanks for the note Lori

It's always validating to know that I'm not crazy or imaginging this... Did you have any luck with the TMJ treatment?

Greg

Old 11-24-2003, 09:48 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

lori j HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregonzola
Thanks for the note Lori

It's always validating to know that I'm not crazy or imaginging this... Did you have any luck with the TMJ treatment?

Greg
Greg, the only treatment I received for the TMJ was some pain pills from the oral surgeon with some advice to not chew gum or hard things to eat and to try to force myself to stop clenching my teeth. I'm not one who grinds their teeth in their sleep, so i was able to stop doing it as i did it in the daytime when i was awake. Once I stopped clenching them, the symptoms went away. I still do it once in a while if i'm stressed & forget about it, I know by that evening that i'd been doing it again, usually have a bad headache & also the eye on the right side & ear will be sore. I seem to clench on the right side the most.

Old 12-10-2003, 01:26 AM   #9

Razzy HB User

Hey i have a bad problem with panic attacks. Not only do i get the heart racing ect... but i also get what your talking about. But after 2 or 3 years of this problem, i am able to tell myself, that it is ALL mental. And you may think to yourself its dumb to tell myself its mental becuase the feeling is so real. But remember, nothing around you has changed, its in your head. I used to get that blood pumping in my ears feeling every night, or my throat was tensing up and i couldnt breath. Beleive me nothing is wrong physicly. And having even a common cold can make the feeling much more intense. Do you take medication? If not you might want to look into it. Or if you have any stress, go see a counsler, beleive me it helps. But it is very normal when it comes to panic attacks. Also, try not to lay down in a quiet place, this always botherd me. Try listening to music or keeping the tv on.

Closed Thread