It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2003, 05:29 AM   #1

dennisr HB User
Can Anxiety wake you from sleep?

I have been falling asleep without a problem, but end up waking 3 times in the middle of the night for about 1 year. Sometimes though I end up sleeping really good during the night.

Could this be anxiety, because I have tried Trazadone and other medicines, which do not work. The doctor also put me on Paxil, but my body did not like it because of the effects of it. So, I got off of it. Any other medacine with little effects?

I end up still waking in the middle of the night. Plus I cannot relax my muscles easily. Seems like they are tight. Plus my nerves seem to have a buring sensation. Is this anxiety or something else?

I even went to my doctor to see if I could have a sleep study done and he gave me drugs. Should I go back to him or go to a nureologist or a different doctor?

Thanks...

Old 11-13-2003, 05:27 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

billy7772 HB User
Yes definitely. I used to wake up to blown panic attacks semi-regularly. I always recommend that you look in CBT as it is an effective cure. My favorite starter book on CBT is "Been There, Done That? Do This! by Sam Obitz. You may also want to check out the mood gym site for further research on CBT.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-14-2003, 03:12 AM   #3

dennisr HB User
What is CBT and do you a link to it?

Thanks,

Old 11-14-2003, 09:35 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

billy7772 HB User
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisr
What is CBT and do you a link to it?

Thanks,
It's Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) and it's the most effective treatment for anxiety disorders and uses no meds. I would love to provide you with links but I think they ban you from the boards if you post them, but you if you search mood gym in a search engine or the author I mentioned you will be able to find more info. CBT is not like other talk therapy. A good CBT therapist does not care much about your past or why you think you feel the way you do etc. A good CBT therapist knows they cannot change what's already happened to you but they can help you change how you deal with what happens in your life from here on out. It's all about using the tools to learn to think more clearly and accurately about things and once you do your anxiety, panic and depression will miraculously begin to lift before your eyes.

I hope this helps.

Billy

Old 11-15-2003, 06:28 PM   #5

Alexandra34 HB User
Great! I will be starting CBT soon since I can't take benzos due to my abusive behavior of Xanax.

Also I remember asking my psychdoc. if it were possible to panic attacks during sleep - he gave me a firm yes on that..

Last edited by Alexandra34; 11-15-2003 at 06:29 PM.

Old 11-16-2003, 09:13 PM   #6
Senior Veteran

billy7772 HB User
Hi Alexandra,
I'm glad to hear you will be giving CBT a try and think you will be glad that you did. Just remember the harder you work at practicing the tools, the sooner and deeper the results will be for you. The good news is the more you practice them the easier they become and eventually will be a part of you
Sorry to hear about your xanax problem but it's very easy to abuse benzos and your are certainly not alone. Keep us posted on your progress!

Billy

Closed Thread