It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2003, 08:39 AM   #1

amym HB User
Panic about not panicking

Has anyone ever had a panic attack about not panicking? Yesturday when I woke up I didn't feel the normal nervousness I get before I go anywhere so I went off to university and was fine until the lecture finished. Which is when it really struck me that I felt ok and my heart was beating at a normal rate the I couldn't stop thinking about which is when I started feeling weird - not panicky just a bit out of it. I felt like that for a bit then forgot about it.

I also remember once about 6 months ago after returning home from a shopping trip with my friend and I told myself to stop being so stupid (as I always feel panicky before I go shopping) I felt ok. The next day I was still feeling fine when it struck me that my pulse was normal and as I was used to it being so fast I had an attack because I thought it was going too slow. Anyone ever experienced this??

Old 11-22-2003, 09:46 AM   #2

LJ74 HB User
Re: Panic about not panicking

Quote:
Originally Posted by amym
Has anyone ever had a panic attack about not panicking? Yesturday when I woke up I didn't feel the normal nervousness I get before I go anywhere so I went off to university and was fine until the lecture finished. Which is when it really struck me that I felt ok and my heart was beating at a normal rate the I couldn't stop thinking about which is when I started feeling weird - not panicky just a bit out of it. I felt like that for a bit then forgot about it.

I also remember once about 6 months ago after returning home from a shopping trip with my friend and I told myself to stop being so stupid (as I always feel panicky before I go shopping) I felt ok. The next day I was still feeling fine when it struck me that my pulse was normal and as I was used to it being so fast I had an attack because I thought it was going too slow. Anyone ever experienced this??

Absolutely! You're so use to feeling a certain way, that when you feel "Normal", you think there's something wrong, as you sort of forget, what Normal feels like. So you bring out your friend. The panic pal. It's totally normal, but when you feel this good, say to yourself, "This is how I'm suppose to feel". This is indeed, "Normal"!

CBT, retraining the brain. CBT is so important in the recovery from panic. One of the only known therapies, to actually eliminate PD. Are you going for CBT with a trained therapist? It's great

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-22-2003, 10:46 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

*music23* HB User
Smile Re: Panic about not panicking

I've definitely had panic attacks like that. Also I have had a lot of anticipratory (sp?) anxiety attacks, like panicking because I think I'm going to have a panic attack in a certain situation. Those are probably even more common. Good luck!
Kristina

Old 11-24-2003, 12:43 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

billy7772 HB User

Quote:

Listen to LJ as she is giving your great advice! I agree with everything she said in her note. CBT changed my life and if you work at it it will change yours too. My favorite starter book on CBT is "Been There, Done That? Do This! by Sam Obitz and the mood gym site is a great introduction as well.

Billy

Old 11-24-2003, 01:29 PM   #5

amym HB User

Thanks guys I ordered a few books froma amzon a few days ago but none of them tell me anything new. I was saying to myself today that I haven't had any real panic attacks, just general anxiety for a while. Then BAM got to uni and freaked out the worse I ever have, I had to leave, luckily my friend came with me too which helped.

I tried to get that sam obitz book but it was out of stock, I bought an e-book from amazon - but through a different site which seemd to have already helped as its taught me how to deep breathe (turns out I've been doing it wrong all along) and it also demonstates how to encourage positive thoughts and relax, wish me luck

Old 11-26-2003, 07:39 PM   #6
Senior Veteran

billy7772 HB User

Quote:
Thanks guys I ordered a few books froma amzon a few days ago but none of them tell me anything new. I was saying to myself today that I haven't had any real panic attacks, just general anxiety for a while. Then BAM got to uni and freaked out the worse I ever have, I had to leave, luckily my friend came with me too which helped.

I tried to get that sam obitz book but it was out of stock, I bought an e-book from amazon - but through a different site which seemd to have already helped as its taught me how to deep breathe (turns out I've been doing it wrong all along) and it also demonstates how to encourage positive thoughts and relax, wish me luck
Amym,
Best of luck! It sure sounds like you are on the right track and have the proper mindset to be successful with CBT. When I got my copy of the Sam Obitz book it was only available on-line directly from the publisher so you may want to try that. It would be nice if you could get involved in a CBT support group in your area as well as it can be helpful to see others having success as you definitely notice that the ones who put in the most effort using the tools read the most rewards. Please keep us posted on your progress and I love your attitude and willingness to try and help yourself; admirable traits indeed

Billy

Old 11-27-2003, 07:34 AM   #7

amym HB User

Thanks alot that post has really made my day! I ordered that book directly from the website yesturday because apparently thats the only place you can get it from.

I also recieved a subliminal cd today that I ordered that hopefully will help with my panic attacks too and its great because you don't have to conciously listen to it, you can even play it whilst your asleep or watching TV - apparently it takes a month for it to permenently help so wish me luck, I'll keep you posted

Old 11-27-2003, 09:56 AM   #8

LJ74 HB User

[QUOTE=amym]Thanks guys I ordered a few books froma amzon a few days ago but none of them tell me anything new. I was saying to myself today that I haven't had any real panic attacks, just general anxiety for a while. Then BAM got to uni and freaked out the worse I ever have, I had to leave, luckily my friend came with me too which helped.

I tried to get that sam obitz book but it was out of stock, I bought an e-book from amazon - but through a different site which seemd to have already helped as its taught me how to deep breathe (turns out I've been doing it wrong all along) and it also demonstates how to encourage positive thoughts and relax, wish me luck[/QUOTE

Have you tried "The anxiety and phobia workbook"? This is the only real book that has helped thus far. It's a TRUE lifesaver

Old 11-27-2003, 11:55 AM   #9

amym HB User

I'll give it a go if these two other things don't work - Panic attacks are starting to cost me a fortune!

Old 11-27-2003, 04:57 PM   #10

LJ74 HB User

Quote:

You'll LOVE it. Trust me

Last edited by LJ74; 11-27-2003 at 04:59 PM.

Old 11-29-2003, 11:13 AM   #11
Senior Veteran

billy7772 HB User

Quote:
Thanks alot that post has really made my day! I ordered that book directly from the website yesturday because apparently thats the only place you can get it from.

I also recieved a subliminal cd today that I ordered that hopefully will help with my panic attacks too and its great because you don't have to conciously listen to it, you can even play it whilst your asleep or watching TV - apparently it takes a month for it to permenently help so wish me luck, I'll keep you posted
Amym-
Your saying that my post made your day, has made my day
Let me know how you like the book as I think it will give you confidence about CBT It's a great starter but after you read it and have some success with the tools you may want to get a panic work-book as well but don't overwhelm yourself but getting too much all at once (Lori J.- who was the author of the panic workbook you mentioned to Amy?).

I tried subliminal tapes during my struggle to get better and found them to be a waste of money; however, unlike many available treatments, I do not believe they can do any harm, so they are worth a shot. I hope you have some success with them. Take care and keep us posted.

Billy

Old 12-09-2003, 03:58 PM   #12
Senior Veteran

billy7772 HB User

Quote:
I'll keep you posted
Hey Amym,
I have not heard from you and just wanted to see how you're doing?
I hope you are well

Old 12-10-2003, 09:11 AM   #13

amym HB User

Hi, I had a really horrible set back a couple of weeks ago which is when I ordered all that stuff - still waiting for the sam obitz book but I've been listening to the subliminal cd for a week and a half - won't know if it properly helps for another couple of weeks so I'll keep you posted.

I've had 5 exams for universiy in the last two weeks which was really hard, one time I nearly walked out but I managed to do them and got 100% in one and 90% in another so I'm really pleased. I'm just gonna keep trying to forget about the panicking but it is extremely annoying, but lately I've found out alot of people I know also get panic attacks and anxiety which is really weird as its the people you least expect - which is a bit like me. It just goes to show that it is way more common that I thought!

How have you been?

Old 12-12-2003, 11:22 AM   #14
Senior Veteran

billy7772 HB User

Hi amym-
Good to hear from you but sorry to hear about the setback I hope you get the book soon and it is as helpful to you as it has been for me. My experience with panic (and aniety and depression to a lesser extent) was similar about how no one would have ever guessed I suffered panic attacks and most of the people I have met that suffer or suffered from them seemed to have it all together too. Weird, huh? I also always did better on exams than I thought I would in college and I'm glad to hear you did so well on your recent tests!
If you feel an attack coming on remind yourself that you have had them many times before and nothing terrible happened and that the feelings will pass, they always do. If you just keep repeating these things to yourself they can nip the panic in the bud over time if you just believe they are true. As I began to get better just reminding me of these two things would stop the panic from taking hold in under a minute and you can get to that poiunt too
Things are good with me, but so much to do with the Holidays and all.... Happy holidays to you and keep in touch!

Billy

Closed Thread