It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2004, 08:33 AM   #1

][SHMIGELZ][ HB User
No desire to do anything....

Hello all,

Im not even sure anything can help me but I have no where else to turn and don't know what to do anymore....

Im a 27 yr old male. I have a decent job and workout 6 times a week or at least I did.

Lately I have absolutely ZERO desire to do anything, including getting outta bed. I don't care if anything gets done anymore and I'm not happy at all. Infact I feel like crying all the time... I have the hardest time even getting up in the morning. I don't wanna go to work and I don't wanna go to the gym anymore......

I don't know whats wrong and I don't know what to do.....

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-13-2004, 10:36 AM   #2

spreeville HB User
Re: No desire to do anything....

Those are classic signs of depression. I would definately take care of it before it gets out of hand.

Maybe you should talk to somebody you trust, it doesn't have to be therapy, unless you want to go there. If this just started happening, maybe you can find out if there is an underlying cause or not.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-15-2004, 03:14 AM   #3

Tesseract HB User

Last edited by Tesseract; 05-21-2004 at 06:39 PM.

Old 04-16-2004, 06:16 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

billy7772 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ][SHMIGELZ][
Hello all,

Im not even sure anything can help me but I have no where else to turn and don't know what to do anymore....

Im a 27 yr old male. I have a decent job and workout 6 times a week or at least I did.

Lately I have absolutely ZERO desire to do anything, including getting outta bed. I don't care if anything gets done anymore and I'm not happy at all. Infact I feel like crying all the time... I have the hardest time even getting up in the morning. I don't wanna go to work and I don't wanna go to the gym anymore......

Hi SHMIGELZ and welcome to the boards
Lots of good people here. I one of the bigger CBT fans on here and I recommend you try and get involved in it if you can. My favorite starter book on cbt is "been there, done that? Do this! By sam obitz. Many universities offer cbt programs for little or no charge. It's the best stress reducer around and once you learn the tools they are with you wherever you go

Take care!

Billy

Old 05-07-2004, 12:26 PM   #5

Hangumhigh HB User

I am a 56 year old widower and I feel the same way as you do. I do not sleep well and suffer from depression. It is hard for me to get up in the mornings as I have no job and no place to go.

Old 05-11-2004, 11:07 AM   #6
Senior Veteran

billy7772 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hangumhigh
I am a 56 year old widower and I feel the same way as you do. I do not sleep well and suffer from depression. It is hard for me to get up in the mornings as I have no job and no place to go.
Hi Hang-
I hope you are getting some help. If not please go to a doctor or psychologist as what have you got to lose?

Billy

Old 05-11-2004, 01:10 PM   #7
Inactive

mouse62 HB User

"If not please go to a doctor or psychologist as what have you got to lose?"

can I answer this sarcastically -- what have you got to lose -- uhh, about $50 an hour!

Unless you can get therapy for free, in which case you might as well check it out.

I go through bad periods of no motivation myself. And that's WITH a decent relationship with husband, and two small children who keep me busy and centered. I think sometimes you have to redesign your whole life with only activities you are passionate about. Yes, hard to do with constraints which may include 1. financial 2. problems concentrating, organizing 3. shyness. Those happen to be my 3 bugaboos. Then you lose motivation when you constantly let those obstacles hold you back -- your body numbs itself in order to survive, but paradoxically, by becoming numb (depressed) you do lose the ability to function after all, and start questioning the point of surviving. OK I'm babbling -- just wanted to share that someone else knows that terrible feeling of nothing to do, nowhere to go.

Old 05-14-2004, 11:40 AM   #8
Senior Veteran

billy7772 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouse62
"If not please go to a doctor or psychologist as what have you got to lose?"

can I answer this sarcastically -- what have you got to lose -- uhh, about $50 an hour!

Unless you can get therapy for free, in which case you might as well check it out.
Mouse-
This may be the best and most accurate reply I have seen on the boards
Can't argue that one! There are a lot of free resources out there, but even if you have to "lose" $50.00 it may be worth it?

Billy

Old 05-16-2004, 11:01 PM   #9
(male)

Akid1574 HB User

Quote:
Hello all,

The exact same thing with me. I'm a 14 year old male in the 8th grade. Just this year I have wanted to do nothing. I have been a straight A student until this year. I was on Principle's Honor Roll, got 97-99 Percentile on all the standarized tests and spent 2-3 hours a night on homework. This year though, I spend 5-10 minutes on homework (if that). I dunno if this is a problem or waht or if i'm just waiting for summer to start. I think it's becuase of my teachers at school. Hope you figure something out man!

Old 05-18-2004, 02:41 PM   #10

alphamale9009 HB User

Quote:
Hello all,

The first thing to do is to see whether your depression was set off by some even, a death, an end to a relationship, your future hopes destroyed, etc. If you find that there was a trigger, then you need to deal with that. Also, you need to see if you took any drugs that may have caused this response. If all that can be ruled out, then your problem is "physical", as i like to say, meaning that it has little to do with how you think or what's going on in your life. If this is the case, you need to start shopping for some drugs. If you have anxiety related depression, i recommend Klonopin. Anxiety related depression is really anxiety to the extent that you run out of catecholomines (stress neurotransmitters, like adrenalin) and then you lack desire or the ability to be aroused because of a lack of dopamine, norepinephrine, and epinephrene. In other words "burnout". If your depression is in no way related to anxiety (examine your former routine carefully to see if there were signs of stress, as a hint, working out 6 times a week is itself very stressful to the body and may have triggered a depression), you should try out the SSRI's. I'm no expert on those for use with depression without anxiety. Hopefully someone else can give you some advice on that.

hope i was helpful,
daryl

Closed Thread