It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2005, 10:19 PM   #1
(male)

Ineedhelp808 HB User
Exclamation I don't have any emotions!!!

It's been nearly one year, and I still haven't gotten my emotions back.

Okay, so, here's what happened: I went through a radical emotional change. I used to be filled with the emotions of anger, hate, envy, and sorrow. Now, we all know those particular emotions aren't good ones to be living with.
Question; If you were consumed by those emotions, wouldn't you want them to change to better emotions, like joy, love, and pleasure? I'm going to assume that you're not a pseudo-death-worshiper and would rather have good emotions instead of having bad emotions.

Here's what I did: One night, I started thinking 'thoughts of love'. I was basically in a meditation. I relflected on my bad experiences in the past, and I tried to view them positivly, I imagined those bad experiences were of negligant significance. This went on for about half an hour.

Now, here's the change: It happened almost instantly. I felt my mind going in two different directions. Actually, it felt as if my mind had some sort of emotional split. I felt the thoughts of joy and extreme happiness emerging, but I wasn't ready for them! I still needed the thoughts of anger, it was almost as if my mind had mutually bonded with them, as in an addictive bond. Don't get me wrong, I love the feelings of joy, but my brain wouldn't be satisfied without the rushes of anger flowing through me, even though I didn't exactly want anger. The feelings of joy did not bring my brain satisfaction, although joy is a better emotion than anger. You see, I had anger bonded within me for years, and again, my minded developed a mutual bond with it, an addictive bond.

The feelings of joy did not bring hardly any emotions in the chest. I could only feel joy very, very lightly!!!!
I couldn't stand being without anger.. I kept thinking and thinking about wanting my anger back, while ignoring the joyfull feelings.. Eventually, the joyfull feelings faded away.

But you ask; can't you just think of a past experience that makes you angry? I've been trying that since day 1!! I cannot arouse anger. And, at this point, nearly one year after the change (actually, this occurred about one or two weeks after the change), I can't arouse any emotions at all, wether they be happy, sad, or angry. In fact, I can't arouse sexual emotions!

Unless you've experienced a situation similar, you probably can't even imagine what I've been going through. I can't remember anything. My memory has faded away. I can't remember what I did yesterday, I can't remember what I did a week ago, I can hardly remember my summer vacation!

I used to let my emotions have an influence behind my actions. But because I don't have any emotions, everything I do is out of compulsions or 'fact weighing' (analysing).

Can someone PLEASE help me? Please tell me what happened to me. Please tell me if I'll ever get my emotions and memory back. There have been many times when I've thought about ending my life because my emotions won't come back.. Please help me, your responce may save my life.

Last edited by Ineedhelp808; 08-26-2005 at 10:20 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-27-2005, 05:55 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ruth6:11 HB UserRuth6:11 HB User
Re: I don't have any emotions!!!

It almost seems to me that you have transcended your emotions.
Much like a Buddhist (or Jedi Knight) might do.
If you were to choose to not seek out therapy for this I would imagine that you could actually excel in several areas...
High stress positions where emotions get in the way: working with the abused, brain surgeon, social worker, the list goes on & on.
You don't mention your age - are you employed or in school?

Therapy might get you back your anger although I'm not clear why you want it back!
Otherwise it's kind of being handed a new you - a clean slate - to become a person you could have never been before.

I don't know if this makes sense - but it seems that the experience you went through came from outside yourself - maybe someone up there has a plan with all of this...

Old 08-27-2005, 09:09 AM   #3
Inactive

kerry1 HB User

Try therapy?

You sound frustrated, not transcendent of your emotions. I know what you mean when you miss your anger. Anger is a powerful emotion and a driving force that can cause positive change. You need to explore why you aren't in touch with your emotions anymore - I'm guessing they're still there, buried.

Old 08-27-2005, 08:21 PM   #4
(male)

Ineedhelp808 HB User

I am a 16-year-old and I was 15-years-old when this problem occured.

My parents, although they don't believe a word I say, have sent me to a therapist. I have been seeing him since last febuary, and nothing has improved.

You may think that having stress is a bad thing. But have you experienced living without stress along with a phycological mindset pertaining to living without stress and without emotions? There are both positive and negative factors included in the possession and dispossession of emotions, however, the positive factors in the possession of emotions outweigh the negative factors. On the other hand, the negative factors in the dispossession of emotions outweigh the positive factors.

I cannot be without stress and with emotions. Rather, without stress, I am without emotions.

This is not frustration. I believe that frustration can be a behavioral influence which deviates from the anger. As I have said before, I do not have any anger whatsoever. Therefore I cannot be frustrated.
In previous post, I mentioned how much of my reasoning was based off of compulsional influences rather than emotional influences. Just because you percieved frustration in my post doesn't exactly mean there was any.

Before we talk more, I was wanting someone to please explain to me what 'transcending your emotions' means. How does it scientifically work? Do those who have transcended their emotions ever regain them?

Old 08-28-2005, 08:58 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

If I had to guess, I'd say you have an extraordinarily high IQ. Extremely analytical.
A real gift - except that most geniuses always lag a bit behind emotionally.
Their brains are hard-wired to take incoming data and process it. Not attach feelings to them.
My cousin married a brilliant man. He has clearance to work on govt. computers etc. But a conversation with him leaves me feeling that while we both spoke English I wasn't quite getting his conversational connections.
Check out the Mensa society if a high intellectual capacity might be a reason for you.

Otherwise, transcending your emotions is more of a spiritual state of mind - usually attained after alot searching/seeking within - or in a blinding bolt of lightening type experience. You would feel alot more peace deep inside yourself if this were the case now that I think about it...

I wish I knew a little bit more about what else was going on in your life a year ago. Family dynamics and stuff. And there was a relationship that led to the meditation?
Anything else involved with the meditation that may have affected you chemically?
Your description of the moment this happened is very vivid. Like an axis or a pivotal point occurred.

Hang in there, ok? You sound like a very self-aware person and that will help you sort this out... In the meantime, don't forget that you're o.k here - you don't need emotions to click away on a keyboard!
Ruth

Old 08-28-2005, 01:06 PM   #6
(male)

Ineedhelp808 HB User

Here is a Christian website I was reading that relates to what I'm talking about. Please bear in mind that this is merely a superstition.

http://www.near-death.com/experiences/research25.html

I've had these so-called near-death experiences many times in my life. They don't pertain to heaven, hell, God, Satan, or what have you (I don't believe in religion).

The Aztecs wondered why the Sun came up everday. Being a primative people, the Aztecs had only a neglegent amount of scientifical knowlege. Hence they came up with superticious reasons as to why the sun rose every day.

Can you see how my example involving the Aztecs closely pertains to the so-called NDE? An emotional state of mind, which is so extreme it cannot be explained due to the theoretician's infinitecimal amount of knowlege in the study of neurology, leads the theoretician to believe in something supersticious.

Okay, I suppose I've clearly made my belief that the posted link contains supersticious information. Below, I have posted a list taken from the link. However, I have given analytical responces for the sole purpose of making this a scientific discussion, rather than a religious one. For the purpose of distiguishment, I have put the link's text in italic.

If they are too bad they go to a realm of lower vibrations where their kind of thoughts can live. If they came here, the Master-Vibration would annihilate them.
I'm assuming realm is their way of implying heaven or hell. In a scietific perspective, I believe the so-called realm is a representation of the dominant emotional mindset.

If the percent of discord in a person is small, it can be eliminated by the Master-Vibration
During the time I was reading this article, the above statement is what truely caught my attention. My theory, which many would agree is accurate, is that once you reach a peak of an emotional level, probably through means of meditation, your brain will then nullify all emotions, except for the emotion which was being meditated on and emotions which closely pertain to the meditated emotion.

Now, joy is not the only emotion I've experienced this experience (is there a name for it?), and, may I add, it's not the first time joy was the dominant emotion in this experience. Sexual emotions and anger are the other two emotions which have been the dominant emotions in the experiences (please note those two emotions were seperate and didn't occur at the same time).

Now you're wondering; Why was I left in an emotional void with joy as the dominant emotion BUT I wasn't left in an emotional void during the other times I've had this experience (with hoy being the dominant emotion)? The answer is quite simple; I had many other emotions in my emotional mindset which pertained closely to joy (mainly because I was 4-years-old, last I remember having it. and we all know how joyful children can be). As a 15-year-old, virtually all my emotions pertained to anger.

Do you now see how it's possible? Joy takes over ones mind in the experience which nullifies all emotions that do not pertain to joy itself. IF one's emotional mindset is composed of mostly of joy, and all emotions that do not pertain to joy (which would be anger and all of its pertainments) are then nullified, the result is the making of more room to take in joy for one's overall emotional mindset.

IF one's emotional mindset is composed mostly of anger and the huge percentage of emotions pertaining to anger are nullified, what do you think that makes one? The answer is simple; Void.

I think I'll print this out and take it to someone whose profession is a neurologist or some sort of phycologist. However, if you think you can offer me any ideas suggesting how I can overcome my emotional void, please post them, I will appretiate it.

Ruth, can you tell me more about 'brain wires'? I have an idea; If I could some how re-wire my brain through meditation, which I can do and I think I've done before, I just may be able to wire my brain with more emotions.

As far as mensa goes; I've never really liked extra-curricular activities or being a member of a group. Though I do appretiate your idea.

Old 08-28-2005, 05:28 PM   #7

KStorts HB User

Wow. Well, the brain is a powerful instrument and I do believe that we are capable of doing many many things that we are unaware of, and you proved that point if you actually were successful in 'voiding out' your emotions. Perhaps you need to go back and look at why you had anger in the first place? You can do this without having any emotions. And since you are incapable of feeling anything right now, this may be a good time to do it? It would almost be like hypnotism (which is what it sounds like you did to yourself to me). I went to hypnotherapy and was able to deal with a lot of my past through it and I had almost a 'lightbulb' moment with it, when certain feelings just seemed to go away. And I have not been able to bring them back. (Nor do I want to, I am sure I am capable of bringing them back if I really wanted to).

Anyway, like I was saying, I think you need to look at why you were angry and work through that so that the joy may surface naturally, rather than forcing an emotion upon yourself that you are not ready to feel (which makes total sense). I don't know what happened to you that has caused so much anger in your life, but you need to find a way to come to peace with it, and I mean by finding peace with what has happened, not by disconnecting that emotion. Put a new meaning to it, try to find some good in it. ANger is a secondary emotion anyway, you need to figure out what is causing the anger. When you do, deal with it. Find a way to let your subconscious know that those feeling were nessassary at that time, and that you can let them go now. But don't FORCE joy to take over, I can understand how you feel nothing if you are feeling both joy and anger at the same time (which I would think would make you feel void of emotions).

Quote:
Can someone PLEASE help me? Please tell me what happened to me. Please tell me if I'll ever get my emotions and memory back. There have been many times when I've thought about ending my life because my emotions won't come back.. Please help me, your responce may save my life.
I wanted to quote you on this and ask what feeling you had when writing it? You state that you have no emotions, however, your emphasis on the word "please" suggest some sort of ugency or grief (which IS an emotion). You sound like you are pleading for help, and I am curious as to why this would be necessary if you have no feelings anyway? Don't you have to have feelings to care?Don't get me wrong, I am glad you came here, but I know that you cannot be glad since you cannot feel what being glad is, right? As well as the concern with ending your life. I would think even without emotions one would know this is a bad thing to do, but how do you find it in yourself to not do it if you simply cannot feel emotion?

I guess I am just trying to understand if you are absolutely void from all emotions, or if it is possible that you are feeling such minute emotions that you are not even aware of them?

Please keep us posted.

Last edited by KStorts; 08-28-2005 at 05:36 PM.

Old 08-29-2005, 01:28 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User

I had a similar experience. In a moment of the highest emotional feelings, I did a form of meditation/mantra and came out feeling like I'd shed all of my stress and with a cleansed, renewed feeling. It was very weird, similar to what you described.

Old 08-29-2005, 04:09 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

I am unable to understand how your experience relates to a near death experience.
Unless there are circumstances surrounding your Experience that you have not mentioned so far?
An interesting article tho!
I'm kind of stuck unless you're ever in the mood to describe what was going on with you a year ago that led up to your Experience...
Ruth

Old 08-29-2005, 04:46 PM   #10
Inactive

kerry1 HB User

Ruth 6:11, I don't think you really understand what's going on here.

I'm not saying that I do, but I hear an alarm bell when a teenager says she "feels no emotions". When I was a teenager I went through a phase where I thought I had no opinions. Of course I did; I was just cut off from them. The only emotions I felt were rage and depression. The word that comes to mind is "dissociation". The way you feel is NOT normal or healthy and your parents are right to send you to a therapist. I hope she/he is a very good one. You seem concerned, and you're right to be.

As far as being a genius, your IQ does not affect your ability to feel. I've known geniuses who feel MORE than other people, because they absorb more information from the world and can't shut out the really awful stuff. Many great philosophers were depressed, took drugs and/or committed suicide. Most people can "filter out" enough bad stuff to function; super-sensitive people can't filter it out and it can cause them severe depression. Did you know that "no emotions" can be a symptom of severe depression???

I don't believe that anybody on this earth can "transcend" their emotions - they are a gift to us and we can't just get rid of them, although we can channel them in better ways. I bet even the Dalai Lama gets ticked off sometimes.

Old 08-29-2005, 08:24 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ineedhelp808
I went through a radical emotional change.

Now, here's the change: It happened almost instantly. I felt my mind going in two different directions. Actually, it felt as if my mind had some sort of emotional split.
I'm trying to understand what led up to this instantaneous emotional split that occurred during a "meditation" of some sort especially when a type of NDE is connected to it.

That's it. I'll head on back to my other boards...

Closed Thread