It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2005, 06:08 PM   #1

msdker HB User
Opinions of diagnosis on syptoms

My husband tried to commit suicide when he was 16. He went into a program at a hospital and went on Zoloft and through therapy for years. When he met me almost 10 years later he decided he no longer needed therapy or medicine because things were going so well. About two years ago he lost his job and went into a deep depression. A counselor recommended he get checked for depression and the doctor put him back on Zoloft. He did not continue counseling. He seems to have increased social anxiety over the years and only wants to go do things with his closest friends but no one new or go to large parties.

In the last year he has had terrible issues with anger. He gets easily frustrated and freaks out on people at work and in his personal life. He is seeing a new psychiatrist that put him on Lamictal and slowly weened him off Zoloft. The anger episodes have died down and then he started getting depressed. The psychiatrist just added Lexapro. He doesn't seem to be quite as depressed but now he is alienating himself from all his friends and family. He has accused them of doing things that they have not done and is acting very irrational. He has been seeing a therapist for months. I see her too and she is good, but he doesn't seem to be getting better. I think he doesn't tell the therapist or the psychiatrist what is really going on.

I will be calling the psychiatrist and recommending that he see my husband weekly or biweekly.

I am going to have to start with a new therapist (old from long ago) because my insurance just changed, but I am going to ask her how I know when to step in.

He seems to be losing touch with reality and cannot act like a rational adult.

Anyone have any ideas for me?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-02-2005, 06:12 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: Opinions of diagnosis on syptoms

He could actually be reacting to the meds or just the SSRI anti ds.my son actually developed what is called bi polar III from the use of anti ds ONLY.not alot of docs are even aware of this condition and will actually keep treating their patients with this crap and then not know why things are not getting better.This stuff is like almost toxic(mentally and emotionally) for the people,like my son who react to it.He would go into these manic anger rages from hell.his entire normal personality was completely changed just due to his very sensitive reaction to the ssris.the bi polar II is not an actual "true" bi polar disorder from what my sons doc told me, it is given the bi polar name because of the manic type of reactions that the patients have.we went thru the year from hell while we were just trying to treat my sons depression with these horrid SSRIs.The only reason that I agreed to him even being on them in the first place was that I had used zoloft and now Lexapro with very good results with no major side effects.i was just really shocked to see such an over the top type of reaction that my son had,it was just a nightmare.i would suggest that you do a little research on bi polar II and see just how the signs and symptoms "fit" with your husbands behavior.It really does sound to me like almost the same behavior that my son displayed while taking the ssris. He was finally taken off the ssris and placed on depakote and is really doing sooo much better.My 'old" funloving good natured son is back.i was honestly totally afraid of that 'other" child,really.i would find as much info as possible on the bi polar III and copy off the most informative(in relation to your husbands issues)stuff and present it to is doc for an in depth chit chat on the possibility that this may at least be part of his problem anyway.By the way, there is absolutely NO history on either side of my or my husbands family regarding any sort of mental health disorder what so ever except for depression mine seems to be the worst out of the only two family members besides my son who suffer from it.And my depression is mostly due to my deteriorating health situation,or situational not actually clinical in nature)good luck and please let me know how things go.FB

Old 10-02-2005, 10:19 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

msdker - I'm sorry about what you're dealing with right now. I'm no expert and I'm taking a guess, based on my situation. I've recently started researching borderline personality disorder. I'm somewhat involved with a man who fits all the criteria. Look on the personality disorders board, and maybe read a few threads on BPD, or look up the signs and symptoms and see if anything fits. One of the things on the list is suicidal tendencies. Another one is uncontrollable rage. This is something that stems from childhood, like everything else....
Also wide mood swings, you just never know when they will snap. I start out thinking he had an anger problem, but discovered that anger is not the problem, it's a symptom of the problem, which is BPD.
Check it out and see what you think....
Good luck with your situation.

Old 10-03-2005, 07:36 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

bbybyrd HB User

I have to agree with rosequartz. I have BPD and when you were describing your hubby a lot of what you said fit me and the BPD diagnostic criteria. You may want to do some research on it. Also, if you don't feel that your hubby is being completely honest with the therapist, maybe you can do a family session. I know I had one with my sister and she was telling the therapist all types of things I was doing...and I wasn't even aware of most of it.

Closed Thread