It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2005, 06:56 PM   #1
(male)

skyguy HB User
I am pretty sure I have some sort of mentalproblem.

Here are my symptoms.

-I can't concentrate. When I read, I can't help but scan over it. My eyes just go across the line of type and sometimes I don't even read what my eyes went over. Also, I can read a paragraph of something, then an instant later not be able to remember much of what I read.

-Anxiety. I always feel like I don't have enough time. I stew over doing simple things, like dishes, or laundry, can't decide what to do next.

-I have never been close emotionally to anyone. I recently got out of a relationship because she thought I just wasn't asinterested in her as she was in me. I feel like I am emotionally dead sometimes. I don't love my family(parents and brothers), or I just don't feel like I do.

-I am really self-conscious. I always labor over how I act and how it will appear to others. When with the girl I mentioned above, I would always labor over how I would react upon seeing her right before I got to her door to knock. MAde it really hard to really know my real feelings for her. Every action is second guessed, so I feel like I am totally incapable of living in the moment.

What's the diagnosis?

Old 12-01-2005, 11:29 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

barkingshark HB User
Re: I am pretty sure I have some sort of mentalproblem.

You'll probably get ten different answers to your questions. But I suspect you already know your symptoms better than any of us can tell you. You sound really aware and that helps a lot.

My guess is it's depression and maybe a little anxiety. The depersonalization sounds like depression as well as your not feeling love for people whom you should feel much warmth for. Depressed people don't feel very much except sadness or the blues and worry a lot. Sometimes they don't even feel that, they feel just empty.

If you feel that you have a mental illness you should visit a psychiatrist. There are a few different classes of meds and with them docs can treat almost every symptom that makes up a variety of disorders. Depersonalization is hard to treat but it doesn't sound like your worse problem. Sounds like your worse problem is concentrating on reading and it could very well be caused by a lack of concentration or it could be problems processing information, which doesn't seem likely as you don't mention any other information processing problems so I would rule that out and say it is the concentration factor that you mention. Which indicates it might be depression, as well.

Only a psychiatrist can determine what is wrong with you and they do that after a few visits when they gain full perspective of your personality and symptoms and guage your reaction to whatever medicine he or she prescribes. Generally, if they detect that you are ill and determine what your symptoms are, they prescribe medicine on your first visit. They also tend to ask you what you think is causing the symptoms and they listen closely to what you have to say. It is a fairly easy process to go through and lasts about an hour after which you head to the pharmacy and hopefully make a complete recovery.

One thing most people don't realize about mental illness is once there is something wrong, it generally doesn't clear up by itself unless it is depression or latter stage Schizophrenia, and most illnesses require a lifetime commitment to medication. It can be worth it to stick to a person's meds and take them religiously as most people, with treatment, can live a relatively normal life free of any symptoms if they simply allow themselves time to adjust to the routine of having to take medicine and enough time for the side effects to stabilize.

Some people are afraid of psychiatrists and perfer therapists who can't be of much help when there is a clinical problem inside the brain. Therapists are great and can help people cope with stress and behavior problems but they aren't qualified to treat any type of illness with medicine, they can only counsel. A psychiatrist prescribes medicine as well as counsels.

If you think there is a pattern of illness to your thoughts and behavior don't be afraid of going to a psychiatrist and getting a professional opinion. It doesn't indicate that you are 'crazy' if you see a psychiatrist for suspecting an underlying problem causing your symptoms, it meens you're smart and want to get well

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-03-2005, 10:39 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User

Wow. You have anxiety and your eyes can't help but skim over and drift to the future pages, too? I've never heard anyone else describe this before, but that's EXACTLY what happens to me! It's as if I can't stay on the proper line, and I always read ahead, but of course, my OCD requires that I understand every line perfectly and read every line in the first place, so the two don't really go well together, unfortunately! Also, my obsessional slowness interferes with my task-selecting, too! It's hard for me to decide when and what to start something because there's just too many choices, and I worry about doing them wrong. We sound like we have a lot in common! If you have any questions, feel free to ask!
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Last edited by GatsbyLuvr1920; 12-03-2005 at 10:41 AM.

Old 12-21-2005, 06:38 PM   #4
(male)

frosty22 HB User

I woudl guess depression and an anxiety disorder, I had similar symptoms went to a shrink got a script for welbutrin and paxil, see a therapist, life gets better every day

Old 12-29-2005, 09:57 AM   #5
(female)

airey HB User

Try the ADD and ADHD board....

Closed Thread