It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2006, 12:10 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

jennyVee HB UserjennyVee HB User
!HELP HELP How to get over Fear of CHOKING?

Hi guys i discovered that i have bad acid reflux and my throat was swollen form it, anyway before i knew i had this I was eating eat and almost choked, and after that my life has not ben the same, I mean the acid reflux is very bad especially since i stopped the meds, due to heavy duty dizziness, because my body is weak form not eating much in 3 months, i have ben on plain ensure all this time, all due to fear because of teh choking episode, i mean i do have bad acid and developed a condition fom it called LPR, but still I feel that i am scaredof eating because of the choking episode, anyway i started to eat a little 3 days ago but i haveto take xanax to calm me down, i have never had this kind of anxiety before, its anightmare, has anyoen else had this an if so what have you done to help yourslef, I am so scared of getting sick form note ating much and just drinking ensure, but y doc took labs and all is ok, but in either case i realy want to eat normal again, whe i eat i drink about 3 cups of water out of fear, since because of my acid condition food goes down very slow, but it still goes down, but i am petrified of choking any advice

Old 01-17-2006, 12:12 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Re: !HELP HELP How to get over Fear of CHOKING?

By the way what other drugs can i take to help my anxiety tilli get ovr this fear?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-17-2006, 12:26 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ruth6:11 HB UserRuth6:11 HB User

I'm encouraged that you can consider swallowing a pill for the anxiety.
If you do end up with a prescription try taking the pill in a tablespoon of applesauce or mashed potatoes. It may be more a case of starting very slow and building up to an actual meal.
They made small portion sizes of pudding, applesauce, jello. Start with those and then build up to other foods (mashed potatoes, soups, etc) that don't feel so hard going down your throat. I take an over the counter Tagamet every night because I kept waking up choking in the middle of the night due to acid reflux aspirating into my lungs. I'm still terrified of choking but at least don't connect it with eating. Just with getting sleep!
Also, if you can swing it a dietician might actually be of great help - we all know there are certain foods that are worse than others for the gastric reflux.

Hopefully someone else will have some experience and show up to help!

Old 05-04-2006, 05:49 AM   #4
(female)

Bilbobeth HB User

I have eactly the same problem Diagnosed acid reflux. Very very nauseus every day lost over 23lbs in weight in weeks. Now scared to do anything other than drink. I was on mashed potatoes with soup, a bowlof porridge, scrambled eggs but because it seems to get stuck in my throat on the way down I panic. The nausea and fear of choking are both equally stopping me from eating. Who do I tell? Who can help. I am on ensure drinks only too.
Thanks

Old 05-04-2006, 07:38 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Bilbobeth, I feel for you I was without food for 3 whole months and at one point i thought I would lose my mind, I was misdiagnosed with brochitis-asthma and ut on a bunch of asthma mds that made it even harder to swallow, it was horrific, probably the worst thing thats ever happened to me, i went through thanks giving, christmas without eating it was horribel to say the least.

anyway i can help you out as much as possible, on the acid reflux burns your throat and it makes it feel like the food is stuck when really its not. ok what you do is get on acid reflux meds, i was given 2 nexiums a day and the very first day i felt such a relief, aother girl on the gerd board said the same thing, nexium is the best med for this, ok the other thing that took away my fear withing like 4 days with celexa, I went on it because i developed such a horrible fear of choking that even though i could swallow i would get into a panic, it was terrible, ok next thing is to sleep on a raised pillow, because the acid comes up when your sleeping and burns you throat even your gums, I had acid dissolve some of my gums and i have needed crowns put in because of the gap between my teeth, remeber stomach acid is as strong as battery acid, so it's nothing to play with and the throat/mouth is very delicate so it can get burned easily by acid, i even used to get canker sores which i had no idea where they came from, i would wake up with them because of the acid acting up at night and getting into my mouth, by the way I also took maalox before every meal, that seemed to help my throat too, i still get the acid but i can at least eat, trust me you wont choke on the food, it just feel slike that because the throat is irritated, ifyou can chew the food very well and drink a sip of water right after each chew, but liek i said if your anxiety is whats casuing you the fear i would get on celexa at least for a month or so till you lose the fear.

anyway i understand you more than anyone because i went through this and it isnt easy, i saw 2 ent doctors and with the 2nd scope down my throat was when i was told I had this horrible acid relfux because my throat looked pretty raw, at least you got diagnosed quuickly it took me 3 months of stravaton for them to know what was wrong with me, so thats a good thing, since you can get treated and get to the root of the problem,anyway most of all have faith and pray that god can help you through this, nothing is impossible for him,god bless

The Following User Says Thank You to jennyVee For This Useful Post:
sadgirl1938 (05-23-2012)
Old 05-04-2006, 08:02 AM   #6
(female)

Bilbobeth HB User

Thanks for that very informative reply. I take it you are inthe US and I am in the UK. What is clexa please? Is it anti depressant, tranquilliser?? I take valium to try and keep me calm. As far as the acid goes, I have been on lansoprazole and prevacid + zoton soltabs. None have helped me at all. In fact I feel worse on them. I think I may be reacting to PPI's generally because I get extremely dizzy on them, awful palpitations and feel more nauseus(if thats possible!) My bed is raised at the head and I am using 6 pillows to sleep! I have an awful taste in my mouth especially in the mornings which doesnt help the nausea. I have had a barium-non conclusive and waiting for endoscopy on 12th. I get heartburn sometimes and right lung area pain but nausea and hence this drastic weight loss has become my biggest nightmare. I have like a constant ball of mucous in my throat which doesnt help the eating thing. At the moment I cant see me getting on track to eat again...it's frightening. Thanks again.

Old 05-04-2006, 11:55 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi, Celexa is actually an antidepressant, helps with depression/anxiety/ocd
by the way the PPI's also got me very very dizzy when i took them without eating solid foods, i even had to stop the nexium several times, I took pepcid ac but nexium i super good for this strong acid reflux, let me tell you the more you eat the side effects of ppi's will go away trust me on this, I mean i would get so sick while on these pills i thought i would pass out, the pharmacist told me that the ppi's are stromng and when your only drinking ensure th body is not strong enough to handle it, but you have to stay on them, i would suggest getting celexa that helped me eat again because like i said i got very panicky and fearful, i would even grab on to the table really hard when i was going to swallow, it was horrible,

please try to get celexa it helped me, you can check my messages i posted on these boards and you can read what i went through, anyway any doctor can prescribe it, i would give it a tr because you need something to calm you down and take away the focus from food, something that will hel you start eating again, and once you start eating more and more the ppi's wont have any side effect, I had everything from dizziness, to diarrhea on them, anyway how long have you been unable to eat?

Old 05-04-2006, 02:08 PM   #8
(female)

Bilbobeth HB User

I started the food choking thing around 5 months ago. It just came out of the blue one night. I got food stuck or at least it felt that way. I ended up in emergency to be told I was fine and to go home. Then I was hesitantly eating food but a week later ended up convinced I was choking again. Again back to the hospital where they said perhaps I had a physical reason. Food would get stuck three quarters of the way down my throat, I could feel it for up to an hour after I had eaten. Couldnt bring it up and it wouldnt go down. I'd drink pinrs of water to no avail. Then I got so panicky about repeated visits to emergency and choking that I switched to sloppy foods only. This was when all my other acid type symptoms got worse. Then I got to where I dreaded eating full stop. What with the heartburn, choking and panics I sort of gave in. Odd bowls of soup. Odd bits of scrambled egg. Now practically nothing just these ensures. I dont know who I should be telling my gastroenterologist or my psychiatrist!!!! I feel such a fool and its led to fear of taking new medicines. I am getting scared to put anything other than liquid in my mouth. I even have to grind down my valium to a pulp and swallow loads of water with it to take it. I must say though its not just the choking stopping me eating it is the constant all day every day nausea.

thanks for your advice...much appreciated.

Old 05-04-2006, 02:29 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi I totally understand you, i went to the ER about 9 times in 3 month, it wa a nightmare...

anyway the less you eat the more acid will build up., its terrible since I know how this all feels, basically the acid is making you feel like there is something stuck there when there really isnt, and then of course teh fear of choking is causing you to fear eating, i actuallu forgot to mention i had a choking episode once on meat when this started and i got so scared and after that it went from bad to worst, since i kept getting misdiagnosed as i mentioned earlier... hun this is very tough but you have to take something to get the fear out so you can eat solid foods, when you start eating solid foods, the acid will get less and less, and then you can take your meds and they will work better and will not get you dizzy, I know this is very tough since ensure shakes dont really fill anyone up, please take soemthing for your anxiety soon, i was the same way with meds i would either chew them up or dissolve the,, it was terrible, by the way trying drinking protein shakes too, and you can even buy baby food, thats what i did, i bought all kinds of salty and sweet baby food, they are nutritious yet easier to swallow, the thing is that when we get that acid burning our throat and we eat the throat is irritated and it feels liek the food is stuck up there when actually it went down, if doos was stuck you would choke and you would not be able to talk or breathe, so try to think about this when you try eating, also when you try eating again have someone there with you, but you definately need to start eating hun, get something for your anxiety, celexa worked very fast and took the fear completely away within a few days between that med and 2 ppi's if you can get nexium it would be best, but between both you should be good to go, but dont suffer anymore, get rid of this fear so you can start eating and taking meds, by the way you can take pepcid ac they are chewables, goodness i feel so bad for you let em know if i can hel you in anyway, but meanwhile be hopeful this will be over soon,.

Old 05-05-2006, 01:03 AM   #10
(female)

Bilbobeth HB User

You are so kind. Many thanks for your encouragement. I had a bowl of chicken soup and an hour later I tried some scrambled eggs yesterday. Soup was fine but within half an hour I had bad heartburn. I still attempted the eggs but unfortunately got some stuck in my throat(or so it seems!). I sat for ages waiting for the valium to work so I wouldnt panic. I know I must try harder and I will see if I can get on some anti depressants.
Is it normal to have a permanant lump of gluey thick mucous in your throat with this? I bring it up about three or four times a day. It sticks in my throat and doesnt want to come up or go down! And it is real!
I am going to ask my consultant on monday if non prescripytion non drowsy antihistamine tablets will help the nausea.I feel so il I cant be doing with feeling spaced out or zonked out with ani nausea pills that say "tell your doc if taking tranquillisers"! I am hyper sensitive to bodily feelings/sensations.

The worst of all is that when I think food I feel sick, when I look at food I feel sicker and when I have eaten I suffer mentally and physically afterwards. I feel like it is a vicious circle. I know the anti depressants will giveme appetite at least.

Many thanks again

Old 05-08-2006, 10:12 PM   #11
(male)

Dapitbull HB User

Hey I was reading this post and sounds like me..sorta..well, I went out with my friends durning the week and had a few to many drinks..Well the next morning I had to go to work (lil bit hung over) which is a bad mistake cause everytime I drink lately my aniexty is in full force the following day..In the morning before work I went to McDonalds and bought some breakfest..I ate about half my sandwhich no problem..and then feeling hung over and full of aniexty you start to panic for unknown reasons..i swallowed the last bit of my sandwich and for no reason coughed it back up because for some odd reason I thought I was going to choke on it.. the whole day I was nervous about going on my lunch break, thinking I'm not going to be able to eat my lunch out of fear of choking on it..While, I decided to take my lunch break I'm going to try it anywayz..Well I took the 1st bite tried to swallow it..went down half way and coughed it back up out of fear that i was going to choke on it..Now i'm thinking..what the hell? hungover and full of aniexty I thought it would past..but I started getting freaked out so I punched back in and continued to go to work..then started having an aniexty attack cause the whole lunch thing got me going, and then started having trouble swallowing my own spit..before you knew it i was in a full blown panic attack..i ended up clocking out and going home (not good..running away for the problem) but i couldn't help it..i had to get out of there..i didn't want my co workers to think i'm nuts..This was last week..and althought i feel not that much aniexty, everytime i try to swallow food, it gets to the back of my throat and i cough it back up..so lately i've been eating soft foods and liquids..this really sucks cause i'm a big eater and i'm eating not as much as i should..i hope this passes cause i'm getting frustrated.. and getting worse cause ever time i leave my house i feel like my throat is closing up on me and i have a hard try even swallowing my own spit..i know its aniexty cause when i come back home I chill out and it gets better. The worse part is I haven't gone back to work since this happened and I probably wont ( because i'm certain that since i had such an episode there..i will have another one) aniexty is ******** and difinitly makes things complicated.

Old 05-16-2006, 05:28 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi beth have you found relief yet??

Last edited by jennyVee; 05-16-2006 at 05:29 PM.

Old 07-03-2006, 10:50 PM   #13
(female)

kj_johnson HB User
Cool Re: !HELP HELP How to get over Fear of CHOKING?

I know this is an old post, but I just wondered if any of you found any relief yet? kj

Old 07-04-2006, 04:48 AM   #14
(male)

tommo26 HB User

hi, i wont pretend to be an expert but this choking thing sort of sounds like a form of obsessive compulsive disorder (ocd). ocd takes the form of repetitive intrusive thoughts about basically anything that scares you. these thoughts often come at the worst possible moments and can make you retract from whatever it is you want (or need) to do, in your case eating. the thoughts could be about absolutly anything, no matter how irrational or senseless they seem. I have this info because i see a therapist on a regular basis, and he suspects that i could well suffer from ocd. But like i said, im no expert so what you guys are suffering from could be some seperate disorder. Worth checking it out with an expert though.

Old 08-09-2006, 04:10 PM   #15
Veteran
(female)

Hamilton92 HB UserHamilton92 HB User

I could have almost written your post myself.
I've been having digestive issues for a little over 2 years. In the first 3 months I lost between 75-100 pounds because I was so scared to eat that I was going to choke and die.
I still have problems eating. I supplement when I can't eat like drinking meal replacement drinks like Carnation instant breakfast and Ensure.
I have recently found out I have gallbladder issues, that it may need to be taken out too.

Closed Thread