It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2006, 01:41 PM   #1
(female)

relyt HB User
Can't stop negative thoughts

I have a history of depression but its been under control since I'm taking Lexapro. I no longer cry frequently and my sadness is under control, but I find myself thinking about devastating scenarios on a daily basis. For example, if I am driving I create this scenario in my mind that my husband gets in an accident and dies and I have to live without him. The other day I was playing with my cat and a scenario just popped in my head...what if he ran out the door and got struck by a car and got killed? I don't know why I think like this, it just happens. Is this a symptom of depression? DOes anyone else think this way?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-13-2006, 05:01 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User
Re: Can't stop negative thoughts

It could be, depending on the nature of the thoughts. When you get these thoughts and images, is it just a random morose picture? Like, you obviously don't want to think it, but you just wonder why you got that thought rather than do something to get rid of it? Once you see these images do you say a phrase such as "I hope my husband lives" over and over again, pray, and/or fix the "bad" image to a "good" image- instead of seeing him get hit by a car you see him hugging you? If so, this might be signs of Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder; OCD and depression are notorious for being co-morbid disorders, and many people with OCD have depression. I have OCD, this kind in fact (pure obsessional), so if you have any further questions, feel free to ask. I'd be more than happy to clarify between normal thoughts, depressive thoughts and obsessive thoughts! God bless, and write back soon!
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-16-2006, 10:40 PM   #3
(female)

minniethepooh HB User

wow, I was just surfing boards and I get the exact same thing I think. It's so frequent that it doesn't seem wierd anymore, but sometimes it scares me- Like when Im a pedestrian, watching cars go by and I'll have this thought like " what if that car didn't stop at that light" and an entire scene actually plays out in my head, actually to the point where it's as if Im daydreaming and It can be for a few seconds of minutes. It just happens all the time, I'll have a scenario come into my head, and usually its disturbing and I can tear my mind away from it if I wanted to, but somehow I just get stuck in playing out this scene, and it's usually a freaky one.. or scary in some way. A lot of times Ive had scenarios involving my brother dying.. and I don't know why I get them- and why they play out so vividly and WHY I can't stop myself from thinking about them. I mean, I know it must be normal to get thoughts like these sometimes, but in all honestly, I get them all the time, in all situations, like walking across the road, or jaywalking, or even eating (sometimes when Im eating something completely insane starts to play out in my head, like me stabbing myself in the eye with the fork) I don't know why I think it.

Old 02-19-2006, 07:58 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Mr.G HB User

could possible be a paranoid personality disorder with depression.

Old 02-19-2006, 09:24 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

SuchGreatHeight HB User

For me, it was never paranoia that caused those thoughts. I do the exact same thing, relyt. I always figured it was over analyzing. When I think, I think about every possible scenario known to man. So looking at my cat, a door, or a pencil, I have a million ideas that fly through my head. Usually, it is a sign of anxiety. Stress, and even subconscience signs of depression can cause those thoughts along with possible anxiety.

SGH

Old 02-20-2006, 01:14 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Mr.G HB User

over analyzing is aproblem I have too...I think it has a lot to do with being right-brained. Do you guys have a real creative sense? Possibly very witty too...but when it comes to more intuitive logical things you may not be as estute? I know that what it is like for me. Best thing to do is really try to concentrate on what you are doing all the time. Maybe take some ADHD meds too...to help concentrate.

Old 02-27-2006, 09:40 PM   #7
(female)

angel^face^2006 HB User
Unhappy Re: Can't stop negative thoughts

i have had a past history of mental; health problems ive been suicidal since i was 14 i had it for 4 or 5 years plus anerexia and belimia plus haveing alot of love ones dieing on me like my 5 brothers and six sisters but i did struggle through life untill i got to raise my own family it just stopped im back to normal i still go down hill sometimes but hey who dosent my negative thoughts are always there with me i to have visions of my partner dieing sometimes or my kids but mainly my mom and dad i lost so many i dont trust this world at all keep thinking whos next i wonder , im 26 years old and im very negative about death my self on how i look but mainly whats to come in life for me negative thoughts will never go my purpose in life now is to be strong for my family and not let them go through what i did i have to be strong also in mind and spirit good luck

Old 03-10-2006, 08:54 AM   #8
(male)

bonzito HB User

I have had thoughts like that for as l ong as I remember. All the time. When I am waiting for the subway, I just imagine someone getting pushed in front of the train. Or on the street, I see people crossing the street and say to myself, "a car can just come out of nowhere and run that person over." Whenever I am on a plane I literally assume it will crash. At work, I imagine sashing the window on teh 38th floor and just pushing someone out. If I see someone washing windows on a hi-rise building ro on a roof, I imagine them falling to their death. If I am on a bus, I imagine a crazy person killing the driver and hi-jacking the bus. Or, just a random taxi driver shooting me, or me killing the driver.

As you can see, there are many scenarios. The one's that involve me, concern me a little. I imagine losing control and being the one who pushes the person in front of the train. I would never do it, but the thought sometimes just haunts me.

Old 03-28-2006, 02:08 PM   #9
Veteran
(male)

shorebird HB User

Another trick I learned that helps is to wear a rubberband on your wrist and whenever the negative thoughts comes pull it back and snap yourself fairly hard to interrupt the thought and change your focus.

Old 05-23-2007, 12:22 PM   #10
(female)

Aileen7 HB User

It's been nine months now and I am still doing well

Old 05-23-2007, 12:34 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User

Aileen, this is great!

Old 05-24-2007, 02:53 PM   #12
(female)

Aileen7 HB User

Thx Sannah, I hope you are doing well

Old 07-13-2007, 05:43 PM   #13
(female)

Aileen7 HB User

Hi Sannah, I have not posted for awhile but wondering how you are doing? Other than the occasional crisis I am doing well

Old 07-25-2007, 08:54 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User

Hi Aileen, I am also doing very well. So glad to hear that you are doing well!

Old 07-25-2007, 09:51 PM   #15
(female)

Mrs.foster77 HB User

hey you know i was talkin to a crisis person today she was telling me alot of things from your past can cause them kind of thoughts ... how has your past been? i ask cause i have been in a vey abusive and bumpy past i have issues with PTSD! maybe you can look into that too? there is this thing i have been working with seems to help.. maybe for you too? EMDR: Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing. is a fairly new type of psychotherapy. Itís growing in popularity, particularly for treating post-traumatic stress disorder...and reprocessing so try that maybe???

Closed Thread