It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2006, 03:58 AM   #1
(female)

CatholicWoman HB User
Borderline Personality Disorder

Hi everyone. I suffer from Borderline Personality Disorder but the only treatment I am currently under is counselling sessions every two weeks. Does anyone else on here suffer from Borderline Personality Disorder? Do you have to take any medication? I sometimes have visual hallucinations when under extreme stress. I was hospitalised once because of psychosis and that is when they diagnosed me with Borderline Personality Disorder. I also suffer from Major Depression, Panic Disorder, and Paranoia.

Old 05-26-2006, 07:00 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User
Re: Borderline Personality Disorder

hi Catholic Woman - you might want to look at the personality disorders board. There is a lot of info over there on BPD

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-26-2006, 12:42 PM   #3
(female)

CatholicWoman HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosequartz
hi Catholic Woman - you might want to look at the personality disorders board. There is a lot of info over there on BPD

Oh okay. I didn't notice that board. I hate to criticise the site but the forums really do need to be organised in to groups.

Old 05-26-2006, 05:12 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

strongernow HB User

Hi Catholic Woman: Here is my advice. I don't know much about medication but I think an interview with a board certified psychiatrist or two could help you. If you ask and get second opinions then it may help you. Remember please do not feel pressure by a psychiatrist who is forcing you or making you feel scared into taking medication. Please make sure your psychiatrist is board certified if you do go to one for advice.
Also some advice on counseling - Make sure you gradually start feeling better after about every other session. If you see no results after a good month or two then maybe it is time to find a new therapist. So often clients blame themselves for their therapist's shortcomings, bad attitude, or lack of skills or ignorance. The most helpful treatement to date for borderline personalities is dialectical behavior therapy. There is information online about that. Basically any behavior or cognitive therapy will be helpful considering the therapist is content with his/her life and believes in you and what you have to say. Behavior and cognitive therapists are empircal meaning they want to know what works for you not what works for emotionally disturbed people in general. It is important that you educate yourself in some psychology. I always suggest listening to some self affirmation cds because they are cheaper and usually more positive than a lot of therapists, also good authors are Aaron Beck, Judith Beck, Dr. Phil, Lyanla Van Zant, Marsha Linehan, and Alice Miller.

Old 06-18-2006, 02:03 PM   #5
(female)

mrsbonesteel HB User

hi catholic woman, i also have bpd and bi polar and borderline is caused by how u learned how to cope u can go online and look up dbt which mean dialectical behavior therapy.. and find groups near ur home it help alot its a group that teached u skills on coping good luck

Closed Thread