It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2006, 11:05 PM   #1
(female)

YellowCrayon HB User
Long term effects of concussions?

Back in February I suffered from a pretty bad concussion. I did not black out at any point, but I do have problems remembering what I did for the few hours afterwards. When I was taken to the ER I ran into a friend I've known for 7 years and it took me 10 minutes to figure out who he was. I was sick to my stomach for 2 weeks afterwards.

After recovering I felt back to normal. About a month later I went through a period of a few weeks where it felt like my memory was completely lost. I would ask someone to pick something up from a store for me and they'd come home and hand me the bag and I'd stare at them blankly and ask what they bought me. Gradually that too got better. I still suffer from memory problems, that I don't think I had before. I usually have a pretty good memory, and most of the time I still do, but I have these "lapses" where I just blank out.

My main concern now is mood swings. The past few weeks I've just had some really uncontrollable mood swings. My patience is almost gone and the smallest things will tick me off. I feel like a 8 year old because I feel like throwing temper tantrums when things don't go right and I just want to throw everything. (And a lot of the time I do) Then I'll go back to being completely happy and can go out with friends and laugh and joke and have a good time. But when something doesn't go right or someone gets angry at me I get all upset really easily. I'm generally a very easy going person and it usually takes a lot to really set me off. I tend to let a lot of things slide and not bother me at all. And now I can't seem to get past anything. My emotions are just one huge rollercoaster.

I don't want to automatically assume this is from my concussion, for all I know it could just be a phase I'm going through. But since I don't know a lot about concussions and long term effects, I figured it'd be wise to find out. How can I tell if this is just a phase or something else?

Last edited by YellowCrayon; 06-03-2006 at 11:09 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2006, 01:09 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User
Re: Long term effects of concussions?

It seems to me you have been suffering from this way to long and it may be time to go see your doctor again.

take care
trg247
Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Current Meds
Pristiq
Cymbalta
Seroquel
Temazapam

Old 06-04-2006, 11:34 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

mim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB User

I suffered two head injuries within 3 months of each other. The first I had no problems, the second I seem to have lost most of my short term memory. I suffer mood swings, confusion, exhaustion, chronic pain, and am on lyrica for nerve pain. I would check into a neuro psychologist to test your abilities and then research your school IQ scores to compare it to. I found mine through my school I went to in 2nd grade. My IQ had dropped 29 points from 2nd grade til now,and according to my doc I should add at least 15 points to my 2nd grade IQ score since I have had so much education. We are now evaluating me for disability, and have found a local Traumatic Brain Injury support group on the recommendation of the psychologist I have been assigned to to help me deal with my emotions, fear of being around large amounts of people, going new places, being unable to learn new things well b/c of short term memory, and just plain trying to adapt to being someone I never was before. I suggest checking into a local TBI group in your state. Do a google search. Good luck to you!
~Mim

Last edited by mim; 06-04-2006 at 11:35 PM.

Old 09-12-2007, 07:17 AM   #4
(female)

dcl297 HB User

I'm new here and am concerned for a loved one who may be suffering from repeated concussions. I was wondering fter reading your post . Did you find help? What kind of help did you recieve? Or is there any help for this.
Thank you
D

Old 09-30-2007, 07:04 PM   #5
(female)

jestys HB User

it was terrific to find this site. I had a car acident on September 6,2007.My physical injuries are being teated with therapies and are truly not as bad as they could have been; I can walk and move minimaly. The major concern for me is what has seemed to happen to my memory. I cant find my way around new surroundings and I can't think of why I walked into a room or what the keys I have in my hand might be for. I am concerned about what this means in the long term regarding career etc.. Has anyone experienced short term memory loss that has lasted and what can be done about it. How do I trust my own thinking and behavior. Also , I can't sleep more than a few hours at a time and I am having diahrrea every day.
I would welcome any advice or reading materials so that I might better understand what to expect in the long term.

Last edited by jestys; 09-30-2007 at 07:05 PM. Reason: spelling errors

Old 10-09-2007, 02:26 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

mim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB User

I was retested by a different neuropsychologist this summer and we are going over my results sometime in the next 2 weeks. I had no help at first other than being sent to a psychotherapist to help me "cope" with my brain losses even thought they would not actually acknowledge them to SS. I found that a day planner is the only way I can function. I literally have to write down everything I am to do that day and cross it off as I do it or it does not happen. I mean from brushing teeth, to taking meds, to picking up my son from school. My roommate and son try to check behind me especially when I forget my son or to grocery shop, or bathe for a few days....lol. The new neuro suggested to play my sons playstation to learn hand eye coordination and make different parts of my brain work. It is a hoot, but I try. I actually started on my own with card games to reteach myself how to put things in order, I used a game called bejeweled 2 to work on color and order. I had to reteach myself how to read, very frutstrating. I am still slow but I can read short pieces and remember some of it. I still can only remember one thing at a time and if someone adds to the mix I get frustrated and lost, but there has been great improvement over the last 2 years. I was a teacher with a masters degree working on my phd, and now I stay at home and try to make it through each day with a minimum of mistakes and hopefully learn something new that sticks.

Old 11-06-2007, 08:20 AM   #7
(female)

DK1000 HB User

Hang in there! It will get better - you are already advancing!

I am on my 3rd car-collision concussion and find that this one is the worst. Or at least, I notice most all the symptoms of long term concussion effects. Tried to get info from my family doc; she told me I was obviously 'depressed' and 'disturbed' and offered Zoloft. She reluctantly referred me to a neurologist. When I called the neurologist for an appt - they refused to see me at all due to car accident being the cause of my concussion.

So, I am apparently just 'mental', according to my doctor. Also according to her: Concussion has NO long term side effects. And the fact that this is my 3rd car-accident related concussion has no meaning at all; since there are no long term effects.

Old 11-06-2007, 05:08 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User

I recently listed all of concussions / head injuries out and gave it to my doctor and to be honest he really did not seem that surprised nor did he put any stock into it. I guess they are more worried with repeated concussions within a short time period - I am thinking of Eric Lindros who seem to get concussion after concussion that ended up costing him his professional career. As for long term I would assume in the long run it has to have an effect but to what degree I don't have a clue.

take care
trg247

Old 11-08-2007, 02:48 AM   #9
(female)

blackbearteri HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jestys View Post
it was terrific to find this site. I had a car acident on September 6,2007.My physical injuries are being teated with therapies and are truly not as bad as they could have been; I can walk and move minimaly. The major concern for me is what has seemed to happen to my memory. I cant find my way around new surroundings and I can't think of why I walked into a room or what the keys I have in my hand might be for. I am concerned about what this means in the long term regarding career etc.. Has anyone experienced short term memory loss that has lasted and what can be done about it. How do I trust my own thinking and behavior. Also , I can't sleep more than a few hours at a time and I am having diahrrea every day.
I would welcome any advice or reading materials so that I might better understand what to expect in the long term.
WoW!!! I am so glad I came across this board. I thought I was going crazy! I was in a car accident in 2000 and suffered severe head trauma along with losing my right ear. Over the years I have had problems with my memory and very bad headaches. I have just recently went to another neuro and he helped me realize that this can be a long term problem. Now I just need to work through it all. It is very frustrating to be doing something and totally forget what or why you are doing, or forget someones name that you have known for years. Thank You so much for sharing your experience on this board. It has let me know that I am not alone.

Closed Thread