It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2006, 12:59 PM   #1
(male)

KFXrider88 HB User
What helps with the emotionless feeling?

Hi, about 4 or 5 years ago I took prozac for about 6-8 weeks. I quit because It completely took away my emotions. But after quiting, the emotionless effect remained and I am still like that ( I'm not on any meds). For example if my emotions ranged from negative 10 to positive 10 ( negative being bad and positive being good emotions) I get only negative 1 to positive 1. Are there any meds out there that may be able to correct this lack of feeling? it's really destroying my life and I need to find something to help it. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot, - Chris

Old 06-23-2006, 01:55 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

strongernow HB User
Re: What helps with the emotionless feeling?

I don't know but when I get super stressed out I start to not have much emotions. I know that time and comedy will help. Try not to force. Just try to relax and use comedy and cartoons as a helper. See if that works a bit for you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-23-2006, 03:17 PM   #3
(male)

KFXrider88 HB User

Hey Strongernow, thanks for the input, I agree with you about the stress and it's effect

Old 06-23-2006, 05:52 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

jojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB User

hey I thought I was the only one that, that happened to. I mean I lost allllll of my emotions....this is amazing that I stummbled across this...okay this is what I have been dong to get them back...Like stornger suggested watch ALOT of comedy and good old time CArtoons.....I went to the animal shelter and sat in the middle of about 14 puppies and felt their warmth and energy.....I started volunteering there even though I have my own girls here...but I get different energies from so many of them. I lost complete ability to communicate...so I got on some of the messanger chats...and that helped...it's all baby steps...alot of them...I do have a hard time sittig and crying still...but then hmmmm....maybe that is a good thing...(kidding) And I lost my sexual desire and forgot how to kiss...so weird....It has been about a year that I have been looking for the different things to help me....I must say it is quit interesting. BUt I was scared that I NEVER would feel again...Good Luck to you...things will come back to you...ARe you off all the med's now??

God Bless!!!

Old 06-23-2006, 08:27 PM   #5
(male)

KFXrider88 HB User

Hey JoJo, I'm off all meds and have been since the prozac. I'm to worried to take any because it might mess me up worse. I'm sorry to hear you have the same problem! it's really a nasty thing to live with. Did you loose feelings for the opposite sex too? I don't feel any love anymroe, which is oddly what is troubling me most. I also lost my sex drive like you ( and i'm a 22 year old guy, that just isn't right), but still remember how to kiss. I am going to a neurologist on July 21st for some other problems ( underactive pituitary, the reason why i had to go on prozac in the first place, if the docs hadn't misdiagnosed the depression as what it really was, a thyroid problem, I'd be fine now). My underactive pituitary/hypothalamus may have made me more succeptible to the flat feeling produced by the prozac. But anyways, if anybody will know what's going on, and have some advice it will be the neurologist. ( assuming it's a actual neuro chemical change and not a emotional induced shutdown) But if the neurolgist can give me some insight/advice, I will post it on the mental health page. Iv'e seen this same problem with people who have taken prozac. Maybe in some people it just has some effect on the brain and their brain doesn't recover from it after taking it. have you been getting better with the feeling of lack of emotion? best of luck -Chris

Old 06-23-2006, 08:33 PM   #6
(male)

KFXrider88 HB User

O ya, side note. I had a odd experience tonight, and this has happened a time or two before. I took a 4 hour siesta in the lay-z-boy, and during that time i had a dream about a girl, and it was one of those odd dreams where you can kinda think, well anyways, I felt in love with her, ( i don't know what the sharks and kung fu in the dream meant....)and for about 30 seconds after waking up I felt that warm "love feeling" until it quickly went away. So stuff like that makes me kind of wonder if being on prozac kind of "teaches" you to shut down your emotions, maybe you/me are still fully capable of emotions, and just subconciously suppressing them due to the time on the prozac. just something to think about.

Old 06-24-2006, 06:58 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

jojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB User

Good Day Chris...hey I don't believe I explained something.......I lost mine when I did a cocktail of anitbiotics....mine is a very lonnngggg story...got Lyme disease...knew it!!! Was misdiagnoised....wound up getting swelling on my head between my scalp and skull in 1999 ...strange things happened with that... Was on different types of antibiotics then was put on Ampacillin...WHOA....between that and from my thinkng, bacteria in my head...that started taking away things...couldn't just go out and buy clothes anymore...lost that desire...then was put on another combination and there everything went...I'm WAY older than you ...and wound up having to live with my 70 year old Mom and step dad and was rammed down in the ground...SO between that and the drugs and my illness I lost the feeling to have pain, dreaming, smiling, to feel touch on my body, laughter, crying, .enjoying beautiful things.....REally a weird thing...I talked to the doctor...heheheh...said he never heard of such a thing...here take this antidepressant...."you seem depressed to me" crap!!!! Started seeing a pshysoclogist...said he didn't know what caused it...said it sounded like Flat line brain...something like that...So what he told me was your Mind and Brain are two different things....he said your Brain can be damaged....but your MIND can still know what to do...such as right from wrong...SO what he told was I still knew how to do those things that I lost....they were still in me...and that I had to work on them, those baby steps to get them back...Like retraining yourself.... See with my illness I lost everything....relationships...jobs....ba bies....my funny little girls (pugs) were the last thing to lose...I went WAY down hill after that...So I believe with me it was a combination of circumstances...bugs in my head.... and medications....BUT i think it boils down to just about the same as you...Something deadened those emotions....Is it damage to the brain cells?? Nerves?? ...WEll another Loonnnggg story short I got back with my guy and he Loves the outdoors...and so did I...he'd take me jeeping into the mountains...and make me be around HAPPY people...and he loves to laugh so that helped toooo....Okay so the phsy. said to keep working and doing everything....I went through the motions on EVERYTHING that I did...wow what a strange feeling...but I did it...even though I couldn't FEEL anything inside.......I have always been the most affectionate person all my life.....Anyway I just lost my train of thought With your dream see you still have those feelings inside....THEY ARE THERE.....I don't now your situation so I can't say my dear weather they will come back or not...I want to say yes...just for the fact that my brain and MInd has been through hell and back...I don't now if I will truly EVER be back to the way I was...But I have to keep searching and trying....My HEART goes out to you...You are so young to have this happen to...It bothers me that society says....Street drugs are bad for you...LOL...wellllllll their so called legal ones are EXTREMly bad and the doctors don't know what the hell they are dealing with ...Whoops getting ****** there.... Sorry to hear that you were missed diagnoised...I was too....and I read so many have been also...I started taking what is called "JUICE PLUS" about 6 months ago...comes in capsule...one has pure fruits and the other vegetables and grains....this is no joke...with in a month I could feel some of the clouds going away....So I did that and then about a month or so ago I added ....SAMe....you can get it on line or at the health food store...Your looking for ways to feed the brain check those two things out...Now I am not saying they will help you...but they have been good for my sick little brain... .hehehehe....Also if you have read about Antidepressants then you know that they throw off the chemicals in your brain...and the neurotransmitters...with the SAMe which is something already natural in our body....it helps to repair the cells and brain function...and repairs the whole body...check it out ...WEll I need to run right now...well not run but go for now...Chris don't give up...try putting yourself in situations where you hear other people laugh...I get up and first thing I do is put on music that I use to Love...and soak in the sounds and the rythmn ....This is something that I think you can over come...but no one can do it for you...work at it every day and every second of the day...KEEP FIGHTING IT...STAY STRONG Your in my thoughts and prayers!!!!

Jodie....

Last edited by jojo; 06-24-2006 at 07:11 AM.

Old 06-25-2006, 06:35 PM   #8
(male)

KFXrider88 HB User

Hey Jodie, I'm sorry to hear you were misdiagnosed, it seems to happen to a lot of people. I crammed everything i could learn about endocrinology into my head, and convinced the docs to run the tests and it turned out I was right, I got a little irritated about that! I'm sorry to hear what happend to you caused you so much grief in your life, way more then what it did to me. You are right about the prescription drugs being as bad as the legal drugs, if not worse in some circumstances. Jeeping is definetley a good thing, ( Just got rid of my quad, and before that I had a 78 j10 jeep with 14 inches of lift and 40" tires, I got a little carried away with lifting it). There's nothin like doing a little off roading to make you feel better, cracking a cold one open along with the out doors and some mud is all the better! Glad to hear you got back with your guy, that has to help a lot. And just a thought, there are some mind drugs out there that can enhance emotions, ya might want to give that a shot, But I sure as hell would be afraid to put anything else in my body for fear of making things worse. Thankyou for he advice, I really appreciate it!

Old 06-05-2009, 12:13 AM   #9
(female)

Dani1990 HB User

eya chris i know you posted this a long time ago but boy am i glad to have found your blog!! i am just newly out of phycosis and am experiancing the same thing as you i am 18 and it is so hard waking up everyday wondering if i will ever be back to my old self!! but it is getting better very very slowly!! i blame it on the meds to!! they have done something to my brain!! anyway its nice to kno that im not aloe all the best danielle

Closed Thread